Plugs and sync at 10K Neccessary?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bes

Reaction score
My 08 runs like a freight train except for a minor stumble at 25-2800 rpm at low speeds. Is the sync and plug neccessary or just reccommended to support our local dealers? I have a competent mechanic and do not mind spending the money if it's really reccommended by you guys, not Mother Yamma. Being an idiot in the garage, it's usually chaeper for me to pay once than have someone fix my repairs......What should plugs and a sync run? Thanks Barry

I agree with Powerman - plugs are less than 30 min evolution. Manual calls for plugs every 8k iirc, but don't remember the TBS as I do mine every time I change the oil. Order the plugs off ebay or amazon. Then, find a buddy with a TB sync tool & buy him a 12 pack of his favorite beverage.

I agree with Powerman - plugs are less than 30 min evolution. Manual calls for plugs every 8k iirc, but don't remember the TBS as I do mine every time I change the oil. Order the plugs off ebay or amazon. Then, find a buddy with a TB sync tool & buy him a 12 pack of his favorite beverage.
Thanks Guys---will do

definitely go with NGK Iridium plugs...last 3 times longer and theoretically hotter spark

Brand: NGK, Part Number: CR8EIX, Stock Number: 4218 and and leave mine in 40k mi

Advance Auto can order them for a good price...I've just purchased mine off ebay

(checkout the bin o facts: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8660 )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-NGK-Iridium-Spark-Plugs-CR8EIX-4218-Suzuki-Kawasaki-Yamaha-KTM-/170816250936?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c5712438&vxp=mtr

Thanks Guys---will do
Buy the plugs from a local auto parts store, NOT off the internet. O'Reileys got mine in a couple of days for about $7.00 each and

no frt. charge. As for the TBS I would say if you have a local shade tree mechanic/friend make a deal with him, you buy a Morgan carb tune

and give it to him. In exchange he will help you change plugs & do TBS when you need it done & you give him a 12 pack or bottle for his

trouble, plus he has a good sync tool. Much more fun & satisfying and you do not have to leave your bike at the shop, you know whose ass

to kick if it does not run properly and you save a ton of $$$( first TBS & plug job will pay for the carb tune with $$ saved from dealer screwing)

definitely go with NGK Iridium plugs...last 3 times longer and theoretically hotter spark

Brand: NGK, Part Number: CR8EIX, Stock Number: 4218 and and leave mine in 40k mi

Advance Auto can order them for a good price...I've just purchased mine off ebay

(checkout the bin o facts: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8660 )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-NGK-Iridium-Spark-Plugs-CR8EIX-4218-Suzuki-Kawasaki-Yamaha-KTM-/170816250936?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c5712438&vxp=mtr
The OEM plugs are heat range 8 (i.e., CR8), and iridiums do run a tad hotter. Checked mine after several thousand, and the insulators appeared a bit too white for my liking, should be more tan. If going Iridium, I would drop a heat range to CR9EIX, just my opinion.

I'm going to disagree with just about everyone (so far) on the plugs.

There is no way that your original plugs will need replacing yet at 10k miles. When (if) you take them out now you'll look at them and say "Huh? these look like new." I generally swap out my (regular CR8E) plugs at 15k intervals because that interval is easy to keep track of, and they still look nearly perfect at that time. I'm tempted to stretch the change intervals to 25k miles, which would then coincide with doing the valve clearance checks and other major maintenance.

Iridium plugs are a waste of money on an FJR, IMO. They will not actually provide any benefit over conventional plugs in an FJR engine because we already change the plugs too soon! If you were trying to get 100k miles out of a set of plugs then I'd say yeah, go with the iridiums. They cost twice as much, so if you can't get twice the mileage out of them they aren't worth it.

That and half of the plugs fire backwards (from side electrode to center) on an FJR due to the wasted spark, two plugs to a coil design, so there is no iridium advantage on those two plugs. The side electrode will erode at the same rate as a non-iridium plug's side electrode.

It does make some people feel better that they have "superior" plugs installed. Sugar pills do the same thing.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I just clean the plugs in the blaster and throw them back in.

What Fred W said, never had them in long enough to matter.

I tried fancy coils, wires, plugs with no difference in power.

Just enough juice to fire across the gap and it goes boom.

I changed my plugs at for the first time at 26K. They were fine, looked great and I believe were still working great also. My bike was making the same power and getting basically identical fuel mileage to my friend's '08 FJR (same year) as we were comparing fuel fill-ups on a couple thousand mile ride. He changed his plugs much more often. Just my empirical evidence.

I waited until 33k before the first sync and plug change. I was told the throttle bodies were still within spec's and I did not notice a difference with the new plugs. Now, that the bike is coming up on 60k, I'll have the plugs replaced and sync done again next spring.

THANKS GUYS---Bike is at the shop as we speak I'm fortunate to have a shop (NON DEALER) that I trust. They serviced my New Honda (new to me, 83 CB1100) and did a great job for a very fair price. Last service the bike had was in 1996. Sync and plugs a quick $200. Cheap or overpriced, I have no idea but being a mechanical idiot it was a no-brainer for me. I told him to use whatever plugs he thought. His shop specialized in tuning and custom work, so we'll see how it feels when he's done. I agree that the bike probable needs neither, so we'll see. Thanks for the input Barry