PNW Tech meet #21 July 20, 2019

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can't get there until around 2pm or so, will there still be enough time for a fork rebuild? I noticed oil on the tube on the way to work this morning.

Charles, we'll make it work. If you end up too late, we can do it some other time too. either way works.
I think I'll bring the forks by themselves. Thanks, Bryan!

If I can't get there until around 2pm or so, will there still be enough time for a fork rebuild? I noticed oil on the tube on the way to work this morning.

Charles, we'll make it work. If you end up too late, we can do it some other time too. either way works.
I think I'll bring the forks by themselves. Thanks, Bryan!
That will speed up the process. we'll make sure to get them done so you don't have to take them off again.

If say a crazy Canuck was to head down for Tech Day is there sufficient skill and experience within the collective to install tapered steering head bearings in a 2016 ES? If so, where would such a fellow source some quality (Timken or similar) bearings?

Asking for a friend
rolleyes.gif

If say a crazy Canuck was to head down for Tech Day is there sufficient skill and experience within the collective to install tapered steering head bearings in a 2016 ES? If so, where would such a fellow source some quality (Timken or similar) bearings?
Asking for a friend
rolleyes.gif
I can bring or ship, specialty tools, ASSuming I can find them again, to remove, install bearings.

BUT, Don't cheap out.. Timkens.. Not All-Im-Crying-Balwz-Off bearings. IMHO..

For an idea what the process looks like..

Asking for a friend
rolleyes.gif
Marcus (Achiu) had the tools to do it, You'll want to PM him and see if he still has them. It looks like DC has a set too. You'll have to ask around on the bearings. Not sure if they are the same as previous generations or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to show up and do a brake and clutch flush and bleed. Should I bring my own mighty vac or will one be available? I've done the deed on my ST1100 and ST1300 but never on an FJR. Is there anything special I need to know? I'll get out my service manual and have a look before the event. Thx!

Easy as 1-2-3 Adam. Nothing special other than it's good to cycle the ABS block after bleeding the brakes. Not sure if someone will have a switch or just use a jumper, or dirt road for that matter.

I finished doing the same to my '15 last weekend so I've had recent practice!
coolsmiley02.gif

~G

Easy as 1-2-3 Adam. Nothing special other than it's good to cycle the ABS block after bleeding the brakes. Not sure if someone will have a switch or just use a jumper, or dirt road for that matter.
I finished doing the same to my '15 last weekend so I've had recent practice!
coolsmiley02.gif

~G
George,

Did you use a mighty vac or bleed it the old fashion way? The ST1300 had a very specific order of procedures due to the linked brake system.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the might vac to keep from blowing fluid every place as I do it the old fashion way.

I'd like to show up and do a brake and clutch flush and bleed. Should I bring my own mighty vac or will one be available? I've done the deed on my ST1100 and ST1300 but never on an FJR. Is there anything special I need to know? I'll get out my service manual and have a look before the event. Thx!

As G says it's easy I have a mighty vac available to use. Just bring fluid

As G says it's easy I have a mighty vac available to use. Just bring fluid
Thank you sir!

PNW Tech Meet #21, will be July 20, 2019.

For those traveling long distances, and may end up in the Seattle area, please contact me if you need to service your bike (oil change, etc...) before the trip home or to change tires. You can drop ship them out and install when you are here.

Some people have expressed the desire to tackle a valve check, but would like to have someone around to assist/make sure they are doing it correctly. There are several of us here in the PNW who can assist, so please post up the request or PM me, and we'll try to get you paired up with some who can help.

Time for the annual gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday July 20th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.

Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycle - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, main course TBD, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Hudson

BeamerReamers

Niehart

escapeFJRtist

Panman

harper

James W

allrider

redneckj

dzane

Seattle Ty?

audiowize +1

chazglenn3

RC65?

pwnsauce

Zeb

Ex Beemerguy

Duster19?

AdamK

List updated

AdamK: <<snippage>>Did you use a mighty vac or bleed it the old fashion way? The ST1300 had a very specific order of procedures due to the linked brake system.....
Old fashioned way for sure. Never had much success using the vac.

~G