Poll: Ramble Location for June 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Athens/Clarksburg works the best for me since they are the closest to home ;) Might not be able to go too far from home next year. We shall wait and see....

quote]

....technically that was Ramble 4 or 5, but who's counting? :)

Hey Mike...can I come play too?

Gee, I don't know...wut wid all that crashin' and such, we may have to relegate you to run tail. :to_become_senile: :eek: :lol:

Of course you can come, heck you can even plan the route and hotel if you're bored!!!!. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Jes kidding, all will be welcome--I may have some extra slow cruisers climb abord the FJR train this time (friends from work/wife). Surely we'll be loosing them at about turn number 5.

I'd be interested in this ride, Mike. Of course I'll vote WV & will be totally wupped by OH.

Actually, my mom's best friend owns a retreat type place outside of Athens. OhioFJR1300 & I were talking... & thinking that it would make a great home base type place for a ride. They have cabins & primitive type camping, also.

If interested in me finding more info, please do let me know.

Heidi

Been needing a reason to get out east to ride (east for me), and this is reason enough. What kind of riding is typically on the menu over there in Ohio?

Been needing a reason to get out east to ride (east for me), and this is reason enough. What kind of riding is typically on the menu over there in Ohio?
yamaholic will fill you in...but its all good in SE OH! :clapping: :yahoo:

or WV

or Eastern KY

...all of the poll choices were great locations. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heidi, Yes please try to get the name of the place and I'll check it out. Hoping to find a cool place to hangout for sure rather than a boring economy hotel (it come to that anyway-little hastle involved in setting that up). There are a lot of cabins with hot tubs and such in the area that would be cheaper per person if people wanted to do that. The Nestled Inn in Rockbridge Clicky Nestled Inn looked like a maybe...cheap and several size cabins we could take over the place. ANd soo close to cool things to see on your back to the cabins (caves, parks, lakes).

That would be cool if you came all the way from Texas! Well, OH varies quite a bit. Probably nothing like most of Texas! East is the foothills of the appalacians and Ohio River Valley. A lot of up and down roller coasters, mostly fast curves and sweepers with occasional low speed switchbacks and combinations of all of them. Depends on the road. The SE OH area is challenging riding. The pavement is not typically ideal, it's often hard to read curves. A lot of farms, woodlands, varied terrain. The west and central areas are pretty flat with grid type roads. Nothing real exciting there, all the magic is East and South (look at google earth terrain and see for yourself).

The big glacier that carved the middle part of the country stopped in this area, so there is a lot of variety. No big mountains to speak of, those are east and south in KY and WV and in my opinion better riding-more remote, bigger mountains, scenic, etc.

We'll be riding the most challenging/best roads within distance of the lodging place.

Mike, I did a little research involving that lodge that I mentioned. Unless we were to camp, they really do not have a lot of cabin space. Doesn't sound like a great place unless it were just a couple of us.

I'd be interested in the "cabin" type setting, though if you have something else in mind. I will be following this thread to see what develops,

Heidi

I am planning on making this ride this year, since I can incorporate a visit to some family that just moved to OH. It makes it easier to sell to the wife that way.

OK, sounds like fun. I'm sure as time goes by, you will have specific dates and locations picked out.

I hope to take a multi-day riding vacation out that direction this summer. So I'll be hanging around to see how "The Ramble" shapes up! ;)

Thanks Scott

Mike, I just took a look at your link for Nestled Inn. Nice looking place. That drive to the main building looks like it might be steep. It'd probably be a good idea to check out the driveway conditions before picking any one spot.

Also, something that may possibly be considered. I'm not sure if I just missed reading something... but the smaller cabins have no climate control... be it heat or cold.

What time of year are you planning this?

Ohio looks great to me. We could combine the ramble w/ visiting family up around Zanesville.

-Greg-

Good catch on the cabins, Heidi. Climate controls are a must ay anything over camping rates :) Scouting will be a given regardless of location. I'll need a good excuse for a March (optimistic)/April day trip.

Speaking of camping, I'll throw out some places around the area soon enough--all the state parks are quite nice. Wayne National Forest you can camp anywhere primitive for free.

Here are the poll results thus far:

Eastern OH- Stay in Cambridge [ 1 ] [5.26%]

South Eastern OH. Stay in Athens [ 11 ] [57.89%]

Northern WV, stay near Clarksburg [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Eastern WV, stay at Canaan Valley [ 1 ] [5.26%]

EOM location, Lewisburg Brier Inn [ 2 ] [10.53%]

Eastern KY/Western WV-Huntington, WV [ 4 ] [21.05%]

E Ky was dead for a while, but is catching up. Get your votes in. Polls will close by Thanksgiving.

Considering SE OH is likely, I will for the time being focus on a place here to roost. The ride routes are pretty easy to plan :clapping: