Possible NAFO Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK then, this is going to be good! 100,000ft in one day sounds like a great ride. Glad I dont get nose bleeds easily :lol:

I don't think I'll attempt the "butt kicker".

However, I'm definitley going to get a couple of the others in. :yahoo:

[SIZE=12pt]DaveT's #4 Ride: Poudre Canyon Run[/SIZE]
315 miles

SUMMARY: The primary ride for today is "Poudre Canyon," but you'll have a nice ride to and from the canyon also. Riding north along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, you'll pass the beautiful "Flatirons" and then through the beautiful town of Boulder (home of the University of Colorado; often considered so liberal that some call it the "51st state") and on to Lyons. From Lyons you wind up US-36 and the Little Thompson River Canyon to Estes Park, then travel via a backroad in Devils Gulch, winding down to US-34 and the Big Thompson River Canyon. Powderhorn and Stove Prairie Roads with little traffic and nice twisties lead to CO-14 and Poudre Canyon. There are more direct routes to get to CO-14 and Poudre Canyon, but this route avoids traffic and adds some additional great canyon riding.

Wild waters froth as they roar through sheer-walled Poudre Canyon. Beyond a range of craggy peaks, moose nibble wetland willows and songbirds trill. Along the Cache la Poudre-North Park Scenic and Historic Byway, sights and sounds vary from wild to serene. As the byway heads westward, the canyon walls squeeze the river valley into a tight corridor, the Narrows. Sides of sheer granite soar 3,000 feet above, dwarfing all below. The river growls as it scours bedrock and careens around sharp bends. Then the canyon widens. Designated a National Wild and Scenic River for its outstanding scenery, recreation and water quality, the Cache la Poudre River lures rafters, kayakers and anglers.

The canyon floor broadens at Big Bend, known for its bighorn sheep viewing area. Travelers often spot them on the steep northern slope. As the byway climbs in elevation, stands of pines and aspen cover the hillsides. Spray spews above the river where Poudre Falls cascades. Its turbulent tumble awes those who descend the slope for better viewing. Near Chambers Lake, the Cache la Poudre River veers south while the byway continues west to North Park. The jagged silhouette of Nokhu Crags heralds the ascent up Cameron Pass. Cresting at 10,276 feet, the road descends into the thick lodgepole woodlands of Colorado State Forest, the state’s largest park. About five miles beyond the pass, Moose Visitor Center educates travelers about the park’s wildlife, especially its prized animal, the moose. The byway parallels Michigan River which meanders through bogs, wet meadows and willow thickets — prime moose habitat.

As the road enters North Park, the terrain transforms from thick forest to low rolling hills carpeted with sagebrush. Towering ranges rim the expansive basin. During the time when large herds of wild buffalo grazed here, Ute Indians called it “Bull Pen.” Cattle and hay fields now accent the landscape.

After a good lunch in Walden, the journey continues as you head south over Willow Creek Pass, and then head back to Golden via Winter Park and Berthoud Pass. Another day of riding the awesome mountains and canyons of Colorado!!

For additional info, photos, and map:

Poudre Canyon
Just thought that I would let everybody know that they have started to do construction on Hwy 125 for the first 14 miles begining outside of Granby. They are cutting down trees along the highway and will be working of repaving it. I do not believe that the paving part has started. But I do know that you can expect up to 1 hour delays during the week. This is supposed to go on through September.

Is there going to be a way to buddy up with someone for these rides? I don't have a GPS, so going with someone who does, seems like a good idea.

For what it's worth...We are doing the Rocky Mtn NP and the Pike's peak on Friday & Sat. Not sure which one on which day.

MsNASCAR and I will be doing Rocky Mtn NP on Friday, stopping at scenic points and photographing Feejers as they pass by. Smile. :D

Usually, the way this works is they post sign up lists with departure times for each ride on the board at headquarters/Marriot. In the past, they had us break up into groups of 7 bikes at a time with departures every 10 minutes for safety sake. Some groups were listed as the fast riders and some medium and some as cruisers. There was plenty of opportunities to ride with a variety of people and pace types and various routes. It was great to know someone who knew the route also. I'm sure this trip will turn out safe and sane also.

It did seem to me that some people had such a long trip just getting to the event that they hung around the hotel and relaxed with their friends and spouse. The banquet and social gathering was the Best in the West for sure. Usually after the banquet many went out side to see the SS1K riders show up and celebrate.

This was my experience anyway...........

OK, I know I said I wasn't going to do the Butt Kicker. However, since it goes thru Gunnison I have possibly changed my mind.

It's either that or the Canyons ride on Friday. Then the RMNP on Saturday.

I do have a Zumo 550 with all of the rides in it.

Anyone up for joining me?

I would welcome the company and the more the merrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
It did seem to me that some people had such a long trip just getting to the event
Exactly. We will cover over 1600 miles on the trip to Golden. After Nafo we will be heading to Gunnison, Moab (have house rented for a few days), Hwy 550 to Montrose....then heading back east.

So Friday & Sat at NAFO, we will actually be taking a little easy and doing Dave's shorter rides...Pike's Peak & RMNP.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Poudre Canyon has always been one of my favorite rides. But it can be really slow with lots of traffic on a weekend. If your going to do this one, Friday would be a better day to do it. And stop at the Rustic Inn for lunch! Or the Mishawaka Inn, if they are open this year.

Poudre Canyon has always been one of my favorite rides. But it can be really slow with lots of traffic on a weekend. If your going to do this one, Friday would be a better day to do it. And stop at the Rustic Inn for lunch! Or the Mishawaka Inn, if they are open this year.
I'm possibly doing poudre on wednesday pm on the way from Gunnison to masonville to visit relatives, and thursday am on the way ;) to NAFO HQ.

So I will get to it sans weekender traffic...

I'd like to echo many of the other sentiments on this thread... Thanks Greatly Dave! Having a local put together a set of rides like this gives us visitors a great headstart on planning our days.

I'm doing a large portion of the Butt kicker on the way to the hotel Thursday, and was thinking Poudre and the Canyons rides for Friday and Saturday... I may pass on Poudre if the section of 125 north of Granby is in fact under construction... Maybe do RMNP instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
As some of you may have seen earlier, I will not be at NAFO unfortunately. I registered, but had to make a car trip back east and am now in WV spending some time with my elderly Mom and family/friends. Mom's okay, but needed to be here now.

Everyone have fun and ride safe. My riding buddy Smoky/John is picking up my package stuff today for me.

I want to Thank You for the great routes - I rode a bunch of them and they all were GREAT. Thanks again, dcarver.

I want to Thank You for the great routes - I rode a bunch of them and they all were GREAT. Thanks again, dcarver.
Ditto what he said... the RMNP and Canyon rides were a blast! I am so envious of those of you who live near those roads all the time...

That canyon ride was brilliant. After days of riding the plains it took a couple of minutes to remember how to steer, but after that it was schweeet! :clapping:

Dave, I hope all works out for your mom.