Possible transmission problems or?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="HotRodZilla" data-cid="1287922" data-time="1455067299"><p>

Pull out your warranty and read it. THEN call the warranty company and confirm what the dealer told you. They sound like turds, so I'd double check.<br />

<br />

The Ford dealer we took my wife's expedition in 2014 is reputable, but the service guy was a bumbling idiot. He would tell me the warranty company said something, and a phone call would clear up what they really said. We came out on top of that shenanigan because I double checked EVERYTHING. Don't be afraid to call and record the calls.</p></blockquote>

I called back as I was leaving work. I got ahold of the main manager. She was awesome! Told me the service guy told me completely wrong. I only pay something if its not warrantied (duh). She assured me it would be warrantied since I've been complaining since day one. She told me that she would do whatever it took and even see about a loaner (see if I can't get a new FJR for a few weeks). She said the max they will have it is 3 weeks but I'm looking at a week.

So note to self the service guy was a fool and as was I for listening. Now it makes sense to let them warranty it.

Thank god for managers! The FJR will be going in tomorrow probably and hopefully get it back in great condition (we will see) I will try to get pictures of all the damage for everyone's reference.

Pull out your warranty and read it. THEN call the warranty company and confirm what the dealer told you. They sound like turds, so I'd double check.
The Ford dealer we took my wife's expedition in 2014 is reputable, but the service guy was a bumbling idiot. He would tell me the warranty company said something, and a phone call would clear up what they really said. We came out on top of that shenanigan because I double checked EVERYTHING. Don't be afraid to call and record the calls.
I called back as I was leaving work. I got ahold of the main manager. She was awesome! Told me the service guy told me completely wrong. I only pay something if its not warrantied (duh). She assured me it would be warrantied since I've been complaining since day one. She told me that she would do whatever it took and even see about a loaner (see if I can't get a new FJR for a few weeks). She said the max they will have it is 3 weeks but I'm looking at a week. So note to self the service guy was a fool and as was I for listening. Now it makes sense to let them warranty it.Thank god for managers! The FJR will be going in tomorrow probably and hopefully get it back in great condition (we will see) I will try to get pictures of all the damage for everyone's reference.
YAY!! That's awesome news!

Can honestly say I never expected this outcome and hope it's true for you. Holy Batman, that would be great.
punk.gif

Can honestly say I never expected this outcome and hope it's true for you. Holy Batman, that would be great.
punk.gif
I didn't expect the outcome either. The main thing is lets pray to god the dude doesn't knock the bike out of time (i've read to many horror stories)

Agreed! That ladies and gentlemen is why we ALWAYS double check everything. I almost had to pull the engine!

And that, grumpypoo, is why this forum is worth $$$$.
Agreed!

I just got off the phone with the dealer the loaner bike is a fkn scooter :|

Normally I would just take it and go on my way, but there is no way I have to drive on the highway back and forth to work.

Looks like i'll be riding my Harley Sportster for the next few weeks
uhoh.gif

Any advice on how to cope with such a sudden loss in EVERYTHING.

1. No power

2. Too loud

3. Not comfortable

4. 3.3 Gallon tank (Back to filling up every 2 days!)

5. Did I mention slow?

I keep telling myself it's for the best, but hell i'm going to die on that slow turd.

A +1 however is the horn works!

Last edited by a moderator:
I called back as I was leaving work. I got ahold of the main manager. She was awesome! Told me the service guy told me completely wrong. I only pay something if its not warrantied (duh). She assured me it would be warrantied since I've been complaining since day one. She told me that she would do whatever it took and even see about a loaner (see if I can't get a new FJR for a few weeks). She said the max they will have it is 3 weeks but I'm looking at a week.
So note to self the service guy was a fool and as was I for listening. Now it makes sense to let them warranty it.

Thank god for competent women managers! The FJR will be going in tomorrow probably and hopefully get it back in great condition (we will see) I will try to get pictures of all the damage for everyone's reference.
Fixed it for you............

I saw my name..... You don't need it any more, but just for fun, so you know what the guys will be going through: My teardown.

My original issue was shifter not working, on pulling the clutch found that the star cam had broken off of the shift drum. It wasn't until the teardown that I discovered serious wear on the 4th gear shift fork and dogs, also covered in that thread. The teardown starts at post 116.

So I called my warranty company and explained everything to them.

Essentially what I thought the problem was.

1. Shift Forks

2. Worn gear dogs

3. Possible the gear got nicked as well

They said generally what happens is as followed

Someone abuses the transmission (misshifts, lazy shifting etc) and it wears out the gear dog which in turn bends your shift fork. This is an abuse item and the contract clearly states it's not covered (don't know what contract covers abuse). I told them this was a known issue since I got the bike. His suggesting (great guy btw spent almost an hour just talking about bikes and shitty dealers) was to take the bike in. Authorize the tear down and let him send out a tech to look at it. He said the tech may say it's a manufacture/premmature failure and covered. However he will probably say abuse and not warranty it.

Now i'm nervous as shit.

So great FJR forum I ask of you. What would YOU do in this situation?

Whatever happened to the competent woman manager?
If the warranty says no then they say no.

They dealer might do split cost at that point, but even then it'd be cheaper to do it myself.

Also btw today I learnt that the dealer raised the service price to $119 an hour!

"...She assured me it would be warrantied since I've been complaining since day one. She told me that she would do whatever it took..."

I guess it's time to get her to "do whatever it takes".

"...She assured me it would be warrantied since I've been complaining since day one. She told me that she would do whatever it took..."
I guess it's time to get her to "do whatever it takes".
The main dude in charge of Service hinted at the fact that they would get it covered, but idk i'm not the richest guy in the world.

He told me the last dude had the same problem and their tech discovered an untorqued bolt that caused the problem :|

So maybe I will take it in.

Yeah, my response to the "caused by abuse" claim is that they were the ones who sold you the previously abused bike.

Since you noted the problem from day 1 you were not the one who abused it. So, either they fix the bike somehow on their dime or they take it back and give you your money back.

Seems pretty simple. They sold you a vehicle with hidden damage that was not fit for its intended purpose.

But do give them the chance to make it right.

"...She assured me it would be warrantied since I've been complaining since day one. She told me that she would do whatever it took..."I guess it's time to get her to "do whatever it takes".
Isn't there any law about fitness for purpose? Here, unless stated as "as seen" or a specific defect clearly pointed out, any vehicle sold by a dealer must be in good order, and any material defect emerging within a period of time (6 months if I remember correctly) must be put right at no cost to the purchaser, or the original payment refunded (dealer's choice).

"...She assured me it would be warrantied since I've been complaining since day one. She told me that she would do whatever it took..."I guess it's time to get her to "do whatever it takes".
Isn't there any law about fitness for purpose? Here, unless stated as "as seen" or a specific defect clearly pointed out, any vehicle sold by a dealer must be in good order, and any material defect emerging within a period of time (6 months if I remember correctly) must be put right at no cost to the purchaser, or the original payment refunded (dealer's choice).

There is but Texas holds the right to modify that.

The dealer gives a 3 day warranty. I'm well passed that.

I'm up in arms if I should do it myself or have them. I can't get them to give me a good feeling about it will be warrantied, but if I do it myself i'm going to be buying parts blind that I think need to be replaced before I even drop the engine.

Very shitty feeling to have.

I'm going to roll the dice and take it in.

I figure if I just have them pull the motor and disassemble and the Warranty says nuh uh. I will then pick it up as is and repair it myself. At least 50% of the work will already be done. Yea i'll be out over a grand, but still partially in the green!

The dealer said he would have it taken apart within 2 days. Tomorrow being day 1. The warranty people take 2-3 days. So i'll know by early next week.

Fingers crossed

Let's pray for that one untorqued bolt or that one bearing that wasn't properly greased up!

Last edited by a moderator:
If, as the manager stated, you have complained since Day 1...then I would think you have been on that 3 day window. What am I missing?

If, as the manager stated, you have complained since Day 1...then I would think you have been on that 3 day window. What am I missing?
I didn't put my foot down and demand it be looked at therefore it's outside the window. I simply accepted that possibly it was my shifting. I've now grown to realize that it was a HUGE mistake on my part. It's ok though I can bitch really well (I'm the CIO of a company) and think I might be able to ruffle some feathers if the warranty says no.

I did get my moms escalade covered under warranty after an initial NO (required an engine rebuild). So maybe I can do it here if they say no?