Power Commander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that seeing as how I had aftermarket exhaust that my performance would be improved by adding a power commander. He also said that any "popping" out the exhaust when downshifting would also be eliminated. I do have some slight "popping" when downshifting however nothing that is annoying. What is a power commander? and do I really need one?

Do you need one? Short answer is no. Whether you want one or not is subjective. I am sure that others will chime in about the virtues of a PCIII but if you are happy with the way the bike runs then no, you don't need one.

A Power Commander (PCIII) is a specific after market fuel manager device that is software driven and connects to your ECU to overide the factory settings for fuel injection and instead sends the signals based on a fuel "map". The fuel map is loaded via a PC and is created by running the bike on a dyno. You can either have a custom map created specifically for your bike or use one of the shared ones that are available through different sources like from other board members here.

I'll let others take over from here as that is my .02 cent explanation. ;)

Thanks for the replys!! I get 47 mpg with my current stock setup with aftermarket exhaust and it runs beautifully albeit with some minor popping out the exhaust when going down a steep downhill so I cann ot figure why I would want to install something that would adversely affect my miles per gallon???

any opinions?

I have one on my 07, but I needed it to smooth out fueling issues and off-throttle problems. If you are happy, don't spend the money!

Jim-

You would be the second person that I know of who's put aftermarket exhausts on their FJR without PCIII and doesn't feel that adding one would help. Coincidentally, the other person has an '05 too.

Adding one will likely do nothing to eliminate the popping on decel. In fact it will more likely make that situation worse due to the enrichened fuel mixture. Eliminating the popping can be done by removing the air injection system (don't ask....search). If you subscribe to the idea that the FJR runs painfully lean, stock, and adding a less restrictive exhaust usually magnifies the too-lean problem, then you'll agree that adding a PCIII will help performance....at the cost of mileage, of course. If you're happy with the way your bike performs, I say leave it alone. If you feel, like I and many others do, that it's performance can be enhanced with the addition of a PCIII, even at the expense of a few MPGs, then add one.

There's TONS of info on this subject here. Spend some time, do some searches, then make your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can easily remove the Air Induction System and stop the popping back effect with no ill effects to performance. Also the PCIII will lower your gas mileage.

Never mind ! See above !

Thanks for the replys!! I get 47 mpg with my current stock setup with aftermarket exhaust and it runs beautifully albeit with some minor popping out the exhaust when going down a steep downhill so I cann ot figure why I would want to install something that would adversely affect my miles per gallon???

any opinions?
Holy crap. 47mpg. You must average 45mph as well. Is this an overall average or a highway average?

The PC3 will reduce your fuel economy, but will potentially increase overall power and smooth the power band by eliminating some of the lean spots that Yamaha engineered to meet emission requirements. If you're looking to maintain mpg, go back to stock exhaust and leave everything alone.

my 2 cents

I found NitroX on ebay and it works real well. Lower cost alternative. I can feel the power difference and more importantly the AE is a lot smoother.

Might be a low cost alternative, however, it appears to be a REALLY well kept secret. Just did an Ebay and a Google search and couldn't find a bloody thing about it. How about some details???

Sorry for the delay. It doesn't show up on the US site but it does on the UK site. I'm sure you can ask to be shipped to US and for US prices somehow. Anyhow, this is exactly what I got and it was around $50 shipped if I remember correctly, maybe a bit more or a bit less.

Link to Nitro X for FJR 1300 on ebay (UK ebay)

I'm in the US so I know you can get them shipped here.

Ok just checked Oanda for currency exchange and the USD has strengthened. At today's exchange rates you can pick one up shipped to the US for $38.

Here are my recent results in California 53-70 degrees range with the XL Calsci shield and the Yamaha top box.

Stock with side cases, top box and Calsci shield - 36MPG with the choppy throttle and good power averaging 75-80MPH measured over 110 miles.

Stock without top box but with side cases and Calsci shield - 38MPG with the choppy throttle and good power averaging 75-80MPH measures over 110 miles.

Nitro X (on full power) with side cases, top box and Calsci shield - 40MPG with SMOOTH throttle and GREAT power averaging 75-80MPH measured over 110 miles.

Nitro X (on full power) without top box but with side cases and Calsci shield - 42MPG with SMOOTH throttle and GREAT power averaging 75-80MPH measured over 110 miles.

I think what I really feel is added torque. With the Nitro X and the wife, 80-120 seemed a lot faster and powerful than stock with the wife 80-120. This was done in 3rd and 4th gear.

For $40, can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, go out and spend $ on PC3. It only cost you $40 more to try. And you never know, you may be happy with the Nitro X. For me, it was enough.

It is adjustable too so if you wanted to save fuel you can keep the setting at the lowest (has 15 settings). I've done that and my MPG shot up to 48 once on the same stretch and test. However, I like having the throttle be responsive in case I need to get out of the way so I run it at full power all the time.

Sometimes I wonder if it is working so I remove it. Then as soon as I pull out of the driveway I can tell there is less power. It really does work.

The connectors are to metal clips that go into you your air sensor which is right below the front part of the drivers seat by the back of the tank. It is a pain to disconnect it but once you do, just cover the stock sensor, clip the clips into the wired sensor, and tape everything up so it won't move with electrical tape. If you didn't connect correctly your engine light will remain on when you fire up the bike. If you did it correctly it will turn off right after firing it up.

I also did the CO2 Barbarian Mod so that may account for my experience too. The tests above were run with the CO2 changed to the suggested +7 (I forget exactly what, you can find it here in Bin-O-Facts or somewhere.

Post up if you try it and let me know how it works for you.

Ideally some day, I'd like to try it on the same bike against a PC3 to see what the real difference is. But I probably never will get a chance.

PCIII eliminated the abrupt throttle at low-end. It also produced a higher mpg. It seems to me that shifting thru the gears is more smooth.

Perhaps in about 7 years Yammie willl get the FJR done "right" off the factory floor so these engine/throttle issues are eliminated.

I have the technical knowledge/skills just short of a can of Silly Puddy so here's my question ...

Is it possible that the on/off throttle problems on my 08FJR are getting worse (after just 5Kmiles) or am I just noticing it more now that I have been around to spend more time in the saddle?

It just seems like that herky/jerky thing is more prominent now and I just didn't seem to notice it before.

???

Thanks,

Mr. Puddy