Power to removable cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneWound

Reaction score
So,

What I’m trying to do is get power to the removable cases on the side and a Givi top case.  I’m currently in the process of adding a fuse block to get switched power out.. however, I’m running into a roadblock with which connector would be most suitable in this application & how should I distribute power inside the cases (USB vs cigarette lighter).  I’d also like for all of these items keep the inside of the case water proof (or resistant, whatever they are rated too).

Thoughts, suggestions, guidance?

I run a couple LED tail light bulbs on the back of my Givi top case.   I ran a connector from the bike's tail light harness to a safe spot under the seat.  I connect the top case wiring to that using a coaxial power connector from a heated vest.(Powerlet I believe)  Downside is you have to lift the seat when you want to remove the top case.  Upside is the connection is well protected from the elements.

I use a similar set up to power my tank bag so I have unswitched power to charge the phone and Sena units, etc.

AdMore Lighting sells LED kits for various applications which may or may not appeal to you.  Their wiring harness though is a decent set-up with a quick and easy disconnect for when one wants to remove the luggage.  It comes included with their full kits but it might be worth a call or email to see if they'll sell one or three separately.   It's the bottom bag in the pic below with the two visible L-shaped ends that make up the connector which goes through the case.

They also have an easy-peasy plug and play connector which might make life a little easier too.

V56-contents.jpg

Thank you, BOAN.  I never thought there were SAE adapters that were panel mount. Time to drill holes in some cases!

AdMore Lighting  <snip>

They also have an easy-peasy plug and play connector which might make life a little easier too.
I used one of their plug and play connectors for close to 100K miles on my '09A for a fabricated box on the back to hold my laptop. Worked great.  Just call them and tell them your needs.  It's an easy setup if that will work for you.

So the AdMore lighting kit.. all that does is give access to switched power, from what I see?  

So the AdMore lighting kit.. all that does is give access to switched power, from what I see?  
Umm . . . no, although I think you might be referring to their harness adapter?

Their lighting kits are made to retrofit into the various aftermarket luggage pieces seen on their website.  It includes just about everything you'd need to add, for example, LED tail, stop and turn signalling lights into your Givi top-case.  They seem to be rather simple and clean installations and, as mentioned, offer an easy way to disconnect when you want to remove the luggage.  On the downside they're not exactly inexpensive nor are they overwhelmingly bright, at least during daylight.  Due to where I live it's not unusual for me to return home after a ride in the dark and with the amount of idiots around here I figure the more I can light up my arse the better, even if it isn't the brightest.  (The lights - not my arse.)  I came across a sale with a decent discount so pulled the trigger and have been happy in doing so.  I am envious though when I see what my friend's same year Ultra looks like in the back with HD's stock lighting.

Admore's Plug-N-Play Adapter is installed in-line onto the FJR's harness and will provide you with switched feeds to the tail, brake and turn signal circuits IIRC.  I've never owned a Gen II but on my Gen III this goes conveniently right behind the left side cover with the feeds extending up somewhat to under the seat.  This adapter eliminates the need for opening up and then cutting or tapping into the FJR's harness and can be put back to stock without anyone being the wiser.  This adapter will not however give you the disconnects for removable luggage which is what I think you were initially asking about.

I would recommend Powerlet connected to the battery or via a relay controlled by the ignition.

Umm . . . no, although I think you might be referring to their harness adapter?

Their lighting kits are made to retrofit into the various aftermarket luggage pieces seen on their website.  It includes just about everything you'd need to add, for example, LED tail, stop and turn signalling lights into your Givi top-case.  They seem to be rather simple and clean installations and, as mentioned, offer an easy way to disconnect when you want to remove the luggage.  On the downside they're not exactly inexpensive nor are they overwhelmingly bright, at least during daylight.  Due to where I live it's not unusual for me to return home after a ride in the dark and with the amount of idiots around here I figure the more I can light up my arse the better, even if it isn't the brightest.  (The lights - not my arse.)  I came across a sale with a decent discount so pulled the trigger and have been happy in doing so.  I am envious though when I see what my friend's same year Ultra looks like in the back with HD's stock lighting.

Admore's Plug-N-Play Adapter is installed in-line onto the FJR's harness and will provide you with switched feeds to the tail, brake and turn signal circuits IIRC.  I've never owned a Gen II but on my Gen III this goes conveniently right behind the left side cover with the feeds extending up somewhat to under the seat.  This adapter eliminates the need for opening up and then cutting or tapping into the FJR's harness and can be put back to stock without anyone being the wiser.  This adapter will not however give you the disconnects for removable luggage which is what I think you were initially asking about.
I apologize for the confusion, I was looking to get switched power to my top case (and all the other cases) to power things like cell phones, battery packs, etc.  That's why the Powerlet will be something I'll be after.

Someday, I'll add lighting to the Givi top case (brake light, turn signals) etc.

I apologize for the confusion, I was looking to get switched power to my top case (and all the other cases) to power things like cell phones, battery packs, etc.  That's why the Powerlet will be something I'll be after.
A panel mount SAE connector should get you there for the hard bags and top box.  There are many available if you do some searches.

Here is one of the cleaner versions I've seen.  No screws, just a central hole to drill.  LINK

Something you may want to consider.... You don't really want to be charging a big bunch of lithium batteries inside a sealed box.  Sure, one or two, but your post makes it sound like you have a dozen things you want to constantly be charging.  With a cell phone and Cpap battery, I've never found the tank bag to be too small for charging needs.  😉

One other thing crossed my mind which probably makes my AdMore connectors a no-go: I believe the FJR's side-cases are double walled making them thicker than a Givi box or a tank bag.  Not sure those Powerlet options would work either but maybe someone who's had the OEM boxes apart might chime in.

I think this leads more credence to  the panel mount SAE connector vs AdMore lighting proprietary connector.  I've done some thinking and I'll probably just get power to the GIVI top case regardless.

OCf, I think the total will be around 4 things I'd be charging.  I kept it everything open-ended in case I wanted to get more devices, but I don't have a current need today.

Two cell phones, 2 USB battery banks (maybe four total, but they will be in rotation.  Going between charging and usage).  My better-half is really interested in going on a week-long motorcycle trip, hence the need to charge phones and Sena's (power banks to charge them) thru 12+ hr days.

I think this leads more credence to  the panel mount SAE connector vs AdMore lighting proprietary connector.  I've done some thinking and I'll probably just get power to the GIVI top case regardless.

OCf, I think the total will be around 4 things I'd be charging.  I kept it everything open-ended in case I wanted to get more devices, but I don't have a current need today.

Two cell phones, 2 USB battery banks (maybe four total, but they will be in rotation.  Going between charging and usage).  My better-half is really interested in going on a week-long motorcycle trip, hence the need to charge phones and Sena's (power banks to charge them) thru 12+ hr days.
Ok, BTDT.  Are you going to be riding on most of those days?  If so, you're way overkill on your perceived charging needs.  You charge while riding each day.  You can use the Sena while charging unless it's one of the inside helmet versions.  Are you boondocking or campground/hotels? Even if you're boondocking, you won't have any trouble charging up a power bank while riding with the Sena using it's own power.  Then switch over to the power bank or just plug into the bike if it's not pouring down rain toward the end of your day.  You really should be able to get most of the day w/o running the Sena battery down, even if you're running music and comm.  

If you're endurance riding like we were, you'll really be riding 12 hour days.  If you're touring, you won't be running the Sena 12 hours continuously and really should be able to have them last all day.  Especially if you charge them during your lunch break/stop.  You see a lot more if you get off the bike now and then.  😉  The hard core LD riders simply have two identical Sena units for each person and while one is being used, the other is being charged.  Quick swap, stays paired, no issues.  And takes up less space than a power bank in some cases.

You really don't need to power your saddlebags and you're over complicating the whole thing by thinking this way.  And if you tell me you don't like tank bags, please PM me your address so I can come over and slap you gently in the back of the head.  Function trumps everything else.

And the Sena charges pretty quickly on the bike.  When we get the 'low battery' and plug in, often by the time we are done for the day the Sena is fully charged.  I usually see 8-10 hours of time on the Sena 20S Evo running comm only.  My wife gets less run time since she usually runs music too, but usually 6-8 hours minimum.

What Sena units are you running? 

How are you really using your phones during a ride?  If this is how you're getting your music, that's a good reason to charge in the tank bag while riding instead of running them down.  Or... consider SiriusXM with a stand alone receiver or another method of stand alone music that doesn't burn data/require the phone.  You know your needs better than I.  I'm not an unlimited data user.  😁  

You can much more easily power a tank bag and put your phone(s) in the tank bag to charge while riding, (if you're boondocking).  If you're not boondocking, you can usually find a place to charge phones at the end of each day.  I would charge my CPAP battery on a dedicated line while riding each day when we were camping off grid and charge the phone in the tank bag with it powered off.  Faster to charge that way, no wasting power roaming and trying to find towers that aren't there, (Alaska), not to mention I have no desire to talk to some asshat when I'm riding.  Ask yourself who is really that important that they need to bother you when you're on a riding trip.  If that means customers, that's a different angle and you have to decide what level of support is required.  You will be out of service areas at times, in most cases.

Here is a pic of the panel mount SAE that I linked to.  I bought a couple recently.  You get about 1/2" of space for the panel wall with the nut backed off all the way to flush and no compression.  The hole diameter required is 18mm, (23/32").

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f64.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f66.jpg

Ok, BTDT.  Are you going to be riding on most of those days?  If so, you're way overkill on your perceived charging needs.  You charge while riding each day.  You can use the Sena while charging unless it's one of the inside helmet versions.  Are you boondocking or campground/hotels? Even if you're boondocking, you won't have any trouble charging up a power bank while riding with the Sena using it's own power.  Then switch over to the power bank or just plug into the bike if it's not pouring down rain toward the end of your day.  You really should be able to get most of the day w/o running the Sena battery down, even if you're running music and comm.  

If you're endurance riding like we were, you'll really be riding 12 hour days.  If you're touring, you won't be running the Sena 12 hours continuously and really should be able to have them last all day.  Especially if you charge them during your lunch break/stop.  You see a lot more if you get off the bike now and then.  😉  The hard core LD riders simply have two identical Sena units for each person and while one is being used, the other is being charged.  Quick swap, stays paired, no issues.  And takes up less space than a power bank in some cases.

You really don't need to power your saddlebags and you're over complicating the whole thing by thinking this way.  And if you tell me you don't like tank bags, please PM me your address so I can come over and slap you gently in the back of the head.  Function trumps everything else.

And the Sena charges pretty quickly on the bike.  When we get the 'low battery' and plug in, often by the time we are done for the day the Sena is fully charged.  I usually see 8-10 hours of time on the Sena 20S Evo running comm only.  My wife gets less run time since she usually runs music too, but usually 6-8 hours minimum.

What Sena units are you running? 

How are you really using your phones during a ride?  If this is how you're getting your music, that's a good reason to charge in the tank bag while riding instead of running them down.  Or... consider SiriusXM with a stand alone receiver or another method of stand alone music that doesn't burn data/require the phone.  You know your needs better than I.  I'm not an unlimited data user.  😁  

You can much more easily power a tank bag and put your phone(s) in the tank bag to charge while riding, (if you're boondocking).  If you're not boondocking, you can usually find a place to charge phones at the end of each day.  I would charge my CPAP battery on a dedicated line while riding each day when we were camping off grid and charge the phone in the tank bag with it powered off.  Faster to charge that way, no wasting power roaming and trying to find towers that aren't there, (Alaska), not to mention I have no desire to talk to some asshat when I'm riding.  Ask yourself who is really that important that they need to bother you when you're on a riding trip.  If that means customers, that's a different angle and you have to decide what level of support is required.  You will be out of service areas at times, in most cases.
I'm going to try to answer all your questions - so let me know if I forget anything.

Currently, I think we will be riding for all days.  I don't think it'll be endurance riding all days - as my better half isn't up for that.  That being said, I'm an IBA member (# 66224).  I do enjoy my endurance riding (if I'm being honest, it's mostly the reason why I bought this bike).  So getting power to the cases is useful - even if I'm the only one riding, I'll still be charging my phone and the alternate Sena.  We will be doing a mix of boondocking & using hotels.

I'd like to not add a separate power outlets for each Sena, as it'll get cumbersome.  It'd be easier (in my opinion), to run a power bank.  I can agree that it'd be easier to just run 2 power banks and rely on charging them.  I initially suggested four to avoid the awkward time where the Sena would be dead (I do like my music while riding).

We would be using the Sena's in a comm/music scenario.  We would be utilizing the Sena's for Comms & Music.  We both have Spotify Premium, which allows us to download music and not utilize data.  GPS will be done with its own GPS unit, however that's a separate conversion for charging.

We have a Sena 20S & Sena 20S Evo.  In my standard riding configuration, I'd alternate.  However, I can't do that when there are two riders.

As far as the tank bag, I do have one (I've used it for other IBA rides) - however if I can avoid I'd like to.  The only complaint I have is that to fill gas in a quick time (esp for IBA rides), it'll be a slight PITA.  Plus, I lost my rain cover for the thing somewhere in Kansas.

Sena powers by USB.  Phone powers by USB.  Power bank powers by USB.  Some nights you will be at a hotel, so easy to charge your various items on 110V in the room.

You can do a fairly clean SAE panel mount to each side case and/or the top case, IF you want that.  (Top case may simplify things)  You'll just have to remember to un-plug prior to removing the side cases.  Shouldn't be a big deal on a day to day basis, though some members do just pull the entire side case off to take into the hotel room.  I always used a liner bag and left the hard case on the bike.  SAE to USB on the inside is simple enough.  Lots of options, should you go that way.

Power bank Vs 12v power on the bike;  12v power is always there.  Power banks just add another item that needs to be charged.  Depending on the size of the power bank, you might not need to charge it every day for Sena use.

The Sena lasts ~6-8 hours.  As previously said, if you plug them in at lunch to charge while you're eating/stopped, you can just about get all day.  Some days you may require more.  You can panel mount a USB port or even a double USB port at the back of the FJR pretty easily.  And just as easily panel or bar mount one up front.  Realistically, you won't need to charge the Sena all that much.  And if you do need to, you're going to stop and plug in.  It's not realistic/safe for the rider to pull out a cord and plug into the Sena.  Your pillion might be able to do this for you, but likely not too easily for herself.  That port can be hard to find with gloves on, going on feel alone.  I do know some riders that say they can do it though.

Spotify - Great.  Nice option.   👍  Sena running music and comm should still last ~6-8 hours.  Varies daily.   Yes, you could plug in the power bank at the start of every day, but you really don't need it for hours so it seems silly to do so instead of plugging it in when you actually need it.  Stops are good when you're in tourist mode.   The power banks do have the benefit of not being connected to the bike. 

With a wired connection to the Sena you are charging the Sena batteries faster than you are using them.  So plug in a couple hours before you get to your daily destination and you'll be fully charged when you get there.  One less thing to worry about for the next day.  If you simply make that a part of your routine, plugging in the Sena for the last segment of your day's ride, then you'll always have fully charged Sena units at the end of the day.

GPS.  Never, ever, EVER charge your GPS like it's a stand alone device.  You're wasting your time and everyone else's patience.  There is no reason to not have the GPS hardwired on the bike.  

Tank bag - You kids!  😉 Something you can do to simplify gas stops.  Remove the flap/spring on the gas cap.  Cut down a key and install a small knob from the hardware store on it so that it fits flush into the gas cap.  This is subtle and makes your existing cap easy open w/o removing the ignition key.  The key is too short to use to start the bike.  (It might work in the bags, I don't recall)   You can buy a replacement rain cover.  It's not really that big a deal, is it?

Strap style bag, un-clip at the seat end and just flip it up.

Magnetic style bag, lift up and set to the side on the tank.

Ring mounted style, (my personal preference)- pop off and set up on the bars.

I'm already pumping gas and you're still playing with your key.  I don't see the problem.

Put tank bag back in place, remove fuel log from tank bag and fill it out from the receipt, (for Cert ride or rally w/fuel log).  I don't get off the bike or even take off a glove at gas stops.  Now, in tourist mode, none of this matters.

Powering the tank bag means a shorter electrical run, easier access to any item you are charging inside and gives you options like plugging into the inside connection and running the cord to the Sena if you have an issue with the other power port you normally use or a power bank goes flat.

Phone use:  Consider how you use your phone and how often you need to access it during an average riding day.  Do you NEED it powered up all day?  (edit - Sorry, forgot you are pulling music off the phone, so yes, powered all day.)  Or are you only accessing it during stops?  I don't know your needs or use habits.  I know plenty of riders that make more calls than I would have imagined while riding.  For me, I'm RIDING.  My helmet is not a phone booth and I've got more important things to pay attention to than the phone.  If you need the phone on all day, keeping it plugged in means it's always fully charged.  Or keep a power bank just in case you need more phone battery, rather than having everything plugged into power banks.

Go for some rides.  Keep track of how much time you're actually riding on a 12 hour day.  Turn the Sena off when you're not on the bike unless it's a short stop.  A relaxed 12 hour day for me is about 600 miles.  That's with gas stops, photo stops, potty stops and a nice lunch break.  Having spent the last 8 years riding with my wife, (she rides her own bike), we've done ~170k miles in that time.  We've ridden 1k days together, but in touring mode we slow the pace down significantly.  We were doing 200-400 mile days on our 8k mile, 30 day Alaska trip.  More recently we often only ride 200-300 miles because we're stopping and enjoying things along the way.  Exploring side roads, etc.  This doesn't necessarily mean less Sena time, per se, but my point is that you may discover that 12 hour riding days is unrealistic for maintaining a happy riding partner.  Especially if your sleep quality is less than stellar.  Not to mention the required time to set up and tear down camp.  

I'm also an IBA member.  😎  We have quite a few here and a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience among the forum members.

Eric V #488

Didn’t know you were a rally finisher, much respect!

Reason for phone charging: Spotify is run thru the phone for us (and we each have our different accounts). That, along with the fact that I sometimes use my phone for GPS, means I like to keep them charged on long trips.

Finding a rain cover for my tank bag actually hasn’t been easy. I plan to make my own in some time. Tarp and sewing should make it simple enough. Even if I were to add powered devices into my tank bag, I’d still like to use a panel mount connector. It makes it more water resistant, imho.  My current rain cover is magnetic.

For now, power would just be added to the top case. I like having the option to expand to other cases if needed for whatever reason.

For our situation, I think charging power banks would be best. Simple to add cables if required, otherwise they can sit in the case. Adding usb panel mount connectors are too single use for my tastes. Plus, they aren’t a sealed connector.

The GPS will be hardwired to the bike, but it’ll be done in such a way it can be removed from the bike if it goes into a hotel.  PM if you want more details, as it’s an in-depth sorta thing.

Here is a pic of the panel mount SAE that I linked to.  I bought a couple recently.  You get about 1/2" of space for the panel wall with the nut backed off all the way to flush and no compression.  The hole diameter required is 18mm, (23/32").

View attachment 95

View attachment 96
Are you using these on your saddlebags or on a tankbag? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of CPAP battery are you charging? I'm looking for ways to charge mine up in between hotel stops as well.