Powerlet Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Rider

Reaction score
I searched, but was unable to find what I am looking for. Just purchased a Left Front Panel kit from Powerlet. Reading through the instructions it states to "route the harness from the battery thru the front fairing support towards the Powerlet socket". I am unsure what the front fairing support is. Does anyone have pictures of a Powerlet install they could share, showing how to route the harness.

Thanks.

I searched, but was unable to find what I am looking for. Just purchased a Left Front Panel kit from Powerlet. Reading through the instructions it states to "route the harness from the battery thru the front fairing support towards the Powerlet socket". I am unsure what the front fairing support is. Does anyone have pictures of a Powerlet install they could share, showing how to route the harness.

Thanks.
The position they're talking about is opposite side and position of your hazard lights. Mount it exactly on the right side as your hazard light is on left side. Is this what you're asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
The position they're talking about is opposite side and position of your hazard lights...
Wrong generation of FJR.

The left-front panel kit is the one that mounts where the factory grip warmer controller would go, right? If that's correct, then you have to make a hole in the little square blank plate to mount the powerlet. The wires then get routed under the instrument panel area to get across the bike from the battery to the powerlet. I think the "front fairing support" is referring to the support bracket for the nose of the bike. Basically, just route it through that area as best you can, tucked out of sight, and possibly zip-tie it at some point to secure it if necessary.

The position they're talking about is opposite side and position of your hazard lights...
Wrong generation of FJR.

The left-front panel kit is the one that mounts where the factory grip warmer controller would go, right? If that's correct, then you have to make a hole in the little square blank plate to mount the powerlet. The wires then get routed under the instrument panel area to get across the bike from the battery to the powerlet. I think the "front fairing support" is referring to the support bracket for the nose of the bike. Basically, just route it through that area as best you can, tucked out of sight, and possibly zip-tie it at some point to secure it if necessary.
+1

Also using a Uni Bit to drill the hole in the plastic works great. They do a really nice job ,and don't pull into plastic and crack it like a regular bit.

link; Unibit

Wrong generation of FJR.

+1

Also using a Uni Bit to drill the hole in the plastic works great. They do a really nice job ,and don't pull into plastic and crack it like a regular bit.

link; Unibit
+1 The Unibit, cuts clean and like butter fast thru the plastic. I taped around the bit to ensure I stopped at 18mm.

Well, just installed 'Left front panel' Powerlet kit. Didn't have a Unibit and couldn't bring myself to pay the $33 the local hardware store wanted. So I bought a wood spade bit for $3.88, much better price. I was worried about cracking the plastic with it, but I went slow and easy with no problems. Like I mentioned before the instruction really don't go into detail about where to run the wires or place the fuse holder. I guess it's up to the individual to place where they feel is best.

Happy with install and quality of product. It's nice to be able to plug the Battery Tender into powerlet and charge battery, should have installed this a couple years ago.

On Gen II's, there's a metal brace that runs across and behind the instrument panel that, for mine, appeared to be fairly clear of any blockage. I ran the lines feeding my glovebox-mounted barrier strip through there with no troubles.