prevent tank rust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what you're using but products like Kreem

and POR-15 have been working for people for years

on countless tanks.

Coating your tank with rubber is bad. Coating it with a modern coating is excellent, and will last the life of the tank in most cases.

I don't know what you're using but products like Kreemand POR-15 have been working for people for years

on countless tanks.
I faced the same problem on one of my commuting bikes that lele describes. Bought new, after two years I found one morning that all of the fuel had leaked out all over the engine. Up till that time I was unaware that the bike had a self-draining fuel tank feature.

Duct taped over the new holes at the bottom of the tank, etched the the inside with MEK per the directions that came with the kit, and applied the Kreem brand liner material. It's definitely not rubber. And 22 years later, the tank still had those holes, but the liner never leaked nor caused any fuel system issues.

There are basically rubber, and don't like fuel.

MEK doesn't etch anything, Its a cleaning chemical.

Muratic acid, now that's an etcher !

Used them both, been restoring bikes, 45 years.

Look in the tank of a properly restored bike, what do you see?

I always thought that gas tank rust thru happens to people that don't ride enough. If you are using ethanol mixtures and running a tank through it every week or two, you shouldn't have water build up.

I don't know what you're using but products like Kreemand POR-15 have been working for people for years

on countless tanks.
The deal with coating is if you don't get it perfect the result is horrific. That stuff starts to shed, rust forms underneath and you end up using an acid it remove it in the end. I think it would be a different deal if all of the nooks and crannys were easily accessible. You are doing this all through a small opening and that does not make it any easier.

Speaking from personal experience, following the simple,

step by step instructions will yield the desired results.

Key to success is being patient and not rushing any step.

Allow a week to complete and don't try to rush it over a

weekend.

I imagine those that later had problems likely didn't allow

adequate time for the sealer to properly cure.

There are basically rubber, and don't like fuel.
MEK doesn't etch anything, Its a cleaning chemical.

Muratic acid, now that's an etcher !
Ah! It's been too many years for me to remember all of the details. You are correct on both counts. Here are the instructions for the Kreem kit:

https://www.kreem.com/Downloads/Kreem_Info_Files.pdf

My tank prep included lots of soap and water and tumbling the tank with some old half-inch nuts. The kreem prep kit included an acid etcher, and I'd bought a gallon of MEK to clean (most of which stood on a garage shelf for many years). Taking the time and patience to careful prep payed off with the longevity of the fix.

I can see that if you botch that step that things could turn out differently.