Price ok?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krashdragon

Reaction score
Thanks to Silver Penguin, I started looking at FRJ's...well, actually found one by accident today when i took my Harley in for a safety inspection....

One of the salesguys is selling his 05 for $11000, bought in November, 2000 miles, a small scratch on the left bag, i'll take his word that its' a parking lot scratch, surface, not the kind of scratch you get if the bike goes down....

Asked him why he was selling it, because he wants on 06 R6, got to have a new bike, and he does get a pretty good deal when he buys new. Oh I live in Hawaii where there's really no used for the FRJ, I think he bought it just because he could.

I'm going to meet him tomorrow, swap bikes and see how i like riding it.

Was going to add windshield, bags, etc to my Suzuki Banidt 1200 that my son wrinkled a little bit, but that still isn't that comfy for touring. It's lowered an inch, and the seat shaved an inch... but not sure about it... so the FJR sounds like much better idea.

ok questions....does that sound like a decent deal?

How worried should i be about the ticking stuff.... just started reading here...btw

Can the FJR be lowered any...

I've never sat on a bike with a stock seat that fit me, so not worried about changing seats, BUT... since it is a SPORT tourer, how do you guys that do IB rides like the FJ? Havn't had time to read all the posts yet...<G>

I belong to a club that like long rides and does monthly 1000 miles rides... would this bike be good for that type of riding? Most of the guys have big Harleys, I was considering a Road Glide, but was not impressed with the rental Electra Glide Classic I rode this summer... it was a CA bike, so no guts, I like my Deuce way better.

My son said buy something!...he wants the Bandit back...<G>

thanks

Mary aka Krashdragon

For every 1000k that your harley friends can do, you can do it with less fatigue, better performance and in my opinion, a LOT more fun. IB riders seem to love FJR's, as do pretty much all FJR riders. It seems like when people sell their FJR, they either want a Goldwing or a super sport bike.

Thanks... I will say that some of the guys do have Goldwings, a few Victory touring bikes, and a bunch of them have several bikes...

I really was just wondering if $11,000 was a fair price... without spend hours on cBay and carfax places....

I'll find out tomorrow if I like riding the FJR <BG>

thanks for the post

Mary

Thanks... I will say that some of the guys do have Goldwings, a few Victory touring bikes, and a bunch of them have several bikes...I really was just wondering if $11,000 was a fair price... without spend hours on cBay and carfax places....

thanks for the post

Mary
well, I know of someone that just spent 12,600 for a 2005 here in California with 2300 miles on it.

So 11k seems about right...offer them 9.5k :)

If that is an ABS model and TTL is included then the price is alright. If it's a non-ABS model then it's too high.

I purchased a cherry (perfect) condition non-ABS '05 this past Nov for $9500. It had 2070 miles on it. Course I bought it through D&H Cycles and they are known for having the best prices - new or used. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the comments...

Normally, i'd knock the price down a bit, but he's willing to wait 3 weeks till I get the sale on my house closed.... with no $$$ to hold the bike.

I'm pretty sure the bike is plain bone stock, no ABS or whatever..

from reading here I see that there are still a few 05's available, but i'm in the middle of selling my house and moving from Hawaii to Ohio, and that's going to take about 2 months...doubt if there would be too many FRJ's just sitting gatheriing dust by then.

... this deal kinda fell into my lap, so to speak....

Thanks

Mary

I saw that you are moving to Ohio. Where to? I live in Springfield. Allseasons in Wooster has a VERY nice 05 ABS with bags, topbox, and a few other items for 10999. Check out the website, there is a picture of it there. 6600 miles.

Thanks... I will say that some of the guys do have Goldwings, a few Victory touring bikes, and a bunch of them have several bikes...I really was just wondering if $11,000 was a fair price... without spend hours on cBay and carfax places....

thanks for the post

Mary
$11,000 is way too high for a non-ABS model. It is only his asking price, so he surely expects to settle for less. I paid $10,400 for an '05 ABS model with only 462 miles in absolutely perfect condition in Miami last June (private sale). I would bet that you will be able to find a better deal and a better selection when you get to Ohio and you won't have to pay to have it shipped from HI (unless you are planning to ride it to OH). You are also going to have to have it re-registered/re-tagged when you get to OH, another expense. This is definitely not a very good deal for you at that price. Maybe a fair deal for $9.5K-$10K tops, IMHO, but not any more.

The following is from Kelly Blue Book. While they aren't The Word for motorcycle values, it shows what the generic field thinks of used FJR prices.

===============================

2005 Yamaha FJR1300

4-Cylinder

4-Stroke

1298cc

Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $7070

Trade-in Value is what consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in unit assuming an accurate appraisal of condition. This value will likely be less than you would receive from a private party sale because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business. Trade-in values are based on clean units in good condition, with all original standard equipment. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above.

==============================

2005 Yamaha FJR1300

4-Cylinder

4-Stroke

1298cc

Suggested Retail Value $10015

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the unit's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

I purchased my '05 new off the showroom floor for $11,700. I had gone in just to look at one and try it on for size. While lusting, my wife (who did not know where I was or what I was doing) called my cell phone. After fessing up to my activities, what was her reply? "Well, tell them to put it in the truck and bring it home."

Now that, is the PERFECT WOMAN.

It may be good to be the king, but that day I was just glad to be me.

from reading here I see that there are still a few 05's available, but i'm in the middle of selling my house and moving from Hawaii to Ohio, and that's going to take about 2 months...doubt if there would be too many FRJ's just sitting gatheriing dust by then.
D&H Cycles would not be too far from you, if they have one when you get to the Ohio. Since your planning on moving in only 2 months, I would wait until you get to Ohio, as the pool of bikes available new or used will be much bigger and at much better prices than the one you have been offered.

The price seems on the high side. Should be good supply of used 05's available with many owners moving on the the 06 models coming in soon.

Jeez, a Wingabago in Hawaii seems kinda like a Honda 50 in Nebraska........ :D Oh, and at that price I'd wait till you're settled in Ohio, save some dough both ways, purchase and shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your moving from Hawaii to Ohio? I hope its more of a career move than just getting away from the family. My folks all live on Oahu & the Big Island, and would of liked to have my FJR when I was visiting my cuz in Hilo. However, if Ohio becomes unbearable in any direction of cold or hot, Southern California would be the closest to the warm island weather without the bugs!...Nah..just have fun where ever you are riding your FJR!

i'm in the middle of selling my house and moving from Hawaii to Ohio
Now this is something I don't understand :blink: Why would someone leave a perfectly good, warm and sunny island to shovel snow in the winter and sweat in the summer? I lived in Westlake OH for 3 years, hope you find a better part of the state. Just after I moved the Cyahoga River actually caught fire and burned for almost a week.

There is a recent thread on lowering seats and suspension here.

Alan

edit: Dang I'm slow, zzkenoman posted almost the same thing while I was industriously typing away :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Kelly Blue Book an ABS is going for $10.375 and a Non ABS is going for $10,015. Sounds like hes asking a little too much.

Hey,

Just picked up an '05 ABS w/400 miles and an ext. warrenty plus a few farkles for $10700. This was in Oregon so don't know if that price is good for anywhere else.

Bill