Problems with Givi SR357 install.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm telling you, I have installed TWO of these recently where it didn't fit and just snugged down the bolts. NO DRAMA. Didn't take much torque to do. Many others have done the same. After looking at mine REALLY close I would NOT add washers or shave anything down as then you are changing mounting angles and introducing other unknowns.
Just start all the bolts, tighten the rear three, and snug down the forward two. The rack will EASILY conform to the proper position. After initially stressing about it, I found out it is NOT A BIG DEAL unless you make it one.
I have to say at 0 miles mine had this infamous gap that has everyone in a tizzy. I just loosely fit all bolts and then torqued in a pattern. No fuss and there was no drama pulling the rack into place. It did not take gorilla torque and was very easy to set into place. I do not know if you jacked the rear wheel up if it would close the gap or not as once I started the bolts it pulled down so easy it was a non issue. 24,000 miles with many trips with more than 15 lbs in the trunk and no issues. I think it is much to do about nothing.

I'm telling you, I have installed TWO of these recently where it didn't fit and just snugged down the bolts. NO DRAMA. Didn't take much torque to do. Many others have done the same. After looking at mine REALLY close I would NOT add washers or shave anything down as then you are changing mounting angles and introducing other unknowns.
Just start all the bolts, tighten the rear three, and snug down the forward two. The rack will EASILY conform to the proper position. After initially stressing about it, I found out it is NOT A BIG DEAL unless you make it one.
Agree. As noted, just did this to "Shelly-Ann" my 2013, and I'm the most anal guy you'd ever meet. I had pretty good gap above forward bolts, but as noted I was able to do it easily with just allen wrench, thumb and index finger. Not much torque involved at all and I too believe the Givi design is like a Wonder Bra for the trunk--gentle, flattering lift. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, some fit and some don't. That means either Yamaha or Givi is to blame, I'll let you guys decide which.

If they all didn't fit without torque, then I'd agree but without any instructions or claim that you must apply force, I'll stick with my washers.

Last edited by a moderator: