• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Protective Paint Film Kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHFJR

Reaction score
We are now making paint protection film kits for the 06 and 07 FJR. As a fellow owner it seems we either have to settle for an affordable static cling material that is hard to put on and doesn't always work or you have to purchase an expensive adhesive film kit that covers the bike from head to toe and sells for over $250.00. We feel that owners should have more of a choice as to which areas of their bike they want to protect. We now offer top quality, crystal clear, adhesive backed film protection kits for various parts of your bike. This lets you choose which parts of the bike you want to protect and makes it affordable to do so. The film we use is made just for this purpose and is manufactured by a world leading film and vinyl manufacturer. The film is guaranteed not to yellow and is nearly invisible after it is installed. The kit come complete with step by step installation instructions and application tool. These film kits are easy to install and no other special tools are required.

At this point we have kits available for the saddlebags and the gas tank as these are the two most vulnerable areas on the FJR. We will be adding other areas of protection in the near future. You can find out more about these kits by visiting our website. Premier Cycle Accessories

I have attached a few pictures of my sidebag after we installed our clear film kit. If you look close you maybe able to see the edge of the protective film, but the filmed itself is invisible. Click here for more information

SidebagPicturewithClearShield1.jpg
SidebagPicturewithClearShield2.jpg
SidebagPicturewithClearShield3.jpg

OHFJR, does your company also make the tank kits for the 1st gen bikes? I didn't see any on your site.

OHFJR, does your company also make the tank kits for the 1st gen bikes? I didn't see any on your site.

We don't make kits for the 1st gen FJR. We might look at it if we get a local FJR as a model. If we introduce a kit for the 1st gen. we'll annouce it on the forum.

I have attached some pictures of our Gas Tank Protective Film Kit on the gas tank. You may be able to see the edges of the film but as you can see (or not see) it is invisible otherwise. It really is easy to install and it only took 20 minutes to install the tank kit. It is far easier to install then the Tankslapper kit I had installed on the bike before.

Gastankwithfilm2.jpg
Gastankwithfilm1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have attached some pictures of our Gas Tank Protective Film Kit on the gas tank. You may be able to see the edges of the film but as you can see (or not see) it is invisible otherwise. It really is easy to install and it only took 20 minutes to install the tank kit. It is far easier to install then the Tankslapper kit I had installed on the bike before.
Gastankwithfilm2.jpg
Gastankwithfilm1.jpg
This was the very first farkle that I ordered for my new 07' and most likely have them sitting in my garage right now but unfortunatly I am out of town and will not be opening the box until next weekend. Looking at the dates on this post the item was released the day I bought the bike, Friday the 13th. I will take some pics and report on the install procedure, probably on or about May 8th. I ordered the large kit for both tank and bag protection.

I was a bit concerned that I purchased the much maligned tank slapper kit (saw the "worst" list just a few days ago) but was happy that this is not the case. BTW does this order give me any discount coupons? I recently ordered a Givi top case and would like to get a mounting plate for it.

We are now making paint protection film kits for the 06 and 07 FJR. As a fellow owner it seems we either have to settle for an affordable static cling material that is hard to put on and doesn't always work or you have to purchase an expensive adhesive film kit that covers the bike from head to toe and sells for over $250.00. We feel that owners should have more of a choice as to which areas of their bike they want to protect. We now offer top quality, crystal clear, adhesive backed film protection kits for various parts of your bike. This lets you choose which parts of the bike you want to protect and makes it affordable to do so. The film we use is made just for this purpose and is manufactured by a world leading film and vinyl manufacturer. The film is guaranteed not to yellow and is nearly invisible after it is installed. The kit come complete with step by step installation instructions and application tool. These film kits are easy to install and no other special tools are required.
At this point we have kits available for the saddlebags and the gas tank as these are the two most vulnerable areas on the FJR. We will be adding other areas of protection in the near future. You can find out more about these kits by visiting our website. Premier Cycle Accessories

I am considering purchasing both the large paint protection kit and the racing stripes. I assume that I would want to install the paint protection kit first and then the racing stripe for the tank would go over the top of part of the paint protection. Is that a problem? Has anyone tried that? Will the racing stripe stick to the material used in the paint protection kit?

I just installed the large paint protection kit that includes protection for the tank and the bags. The wet install method made it easy to install and allowed me to fix my mistakes. The kit is very nice.

I have finally had the time to install the kit. I did the bags first but took pics of the tank. First about what is IMPORTANT.

Cut the sheet up into individual pieces and orginize them for easy identification.

Use the water/alchohol mix, this will allow for movement of the film. Be sure to first spray some on the surface, then on your fingers. Peel the film and spray the back of the film too. You will have no trouble moving or even removing and replacing the film.

Work the film from the center out with your fingers first (keep them wet) then the squeegee (spelling?). IT IS IMPORTANT TO GET THE AIR AND WATER BUBBLES OUT BEFORE GETTING THE EDGES TO LAY DOWN. Dont panic about getting the edges down right away, you can get them to lay down really easily with a hair dryer within about ten minutes. I liked using the squeegee in a pushing motion, using the contact edge in front as opposed to dragging the edge as you would with a window squeegee.

Use the Hair dryer to stretch or even shrink the film to conform to the surface. This really works well. Be patient and use the dryer on a medium setting. Some pics and comments.

Cutting the sheet with a knife

IMG_0398.jpg

The large tank piece with LOTS of wrinkles along the edges. This is OK for now, get the center portion down and clean FIRST.

IMG_0399.jpg

Once you get the middle clean, start working the wrinkes with your fingers to get the size down and then use the dryer. Keep it wet.

IMG_0401.jpg

After the dryer is used you will notice the material has conformed to the surface.

IMG_0403.jpg

I would recomend this product and will consider the newly added Cowl protection pieces also. Get out and RIDE. If you see this bike between Colorado and California in the next 3 weeks give a big wave!

IMG_0407-1.jpg

IMG_0405-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the installation of my film kit I have now put 3200 miles on it and have the following observations.

No peeling on the edges, anywhere. This product lays down and stays put

I left some bubbles in it, they have diminished in size and noticability.

Coverage is getting it done, no noticable wear on the tank or bag paint.

Invisibility is pretty good, you have to look to notice it.

The only con I have is that it seems that the plastic will look a bit dull when dirty. I have not yet tried waxing it, that may help.