Pulled the trigger on a 2006 FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for your help. I'm amazed at the community that you have here. I took the FJR for a ride this afternoon before the storms rolled through, so I could make sure the oil and final drive was done correctly. I absolutely love this bike!

I have a 2008AE gray grab handle that you welcome to if you don't mind the color.
I sent a message to another member about the rack in my color. If that doesn't work out and I choose to stick with the OEM I'll holler at you. Thanks!

EDIT: Tiger_993 said it first...I posted without reading the whole thread first

Nice looking bike! Looks like the passenger grab handles/tail rack is missing.
Someone tried to lift the bike onto the center stand by the rack and split it on both sides. I pulled it off because it was in bad shape. Not sure if I'll get a new one, they run about $200. Maybe someone has a totaled bike with that piece still in good condition.
If you're planning to run a top-case, I would strongly recommend just getting the Givi SR357. It replaces that entire piece anyway, and is MUCH stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Tiger_993 said it first...I posted without reading the whole thread first

Nice looking bike! Looks like the passenger grab handles/tail rack is missing.
Someone tried to lift the bike onto the center stand by the rack and split it on both sides. I pulled it off because it was in bad shape. Not sure if I'll get a new one, they run about $200. Maybe someone has a totaled bike with that piece still in good condition.
If you're planning to run a top-case, I would strongly recommend just getting the Givi SR357. It replaces that entire piece anyway, and is MUCH stronger.
Just found a post on my V-star forum where a guy is giving away a B33, and it looks like I was 1st up. If that's the case I'm definitely getting the SR357 and calling it good!

Nice bike. I strongly suggest a power commander to take care of the glitchey throttle hesitation.

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Although the blue bikes are mighty cool and turn heads, the red are proven to be fastest by the Eyeball and Butt Test Society of North American Motorcycle Speed Verification (ETBSNAMSV). Now that you have the best overall machine on two wheels, you will start to see them everywhere.

I just did a road trip with my boys from our home here near Seattle, down to Death Valley and JTree. Some desert time. We drove a cage, but it was incredible how many people I saw on two wheels in the deserts of SoCal. Majority were on adventure bikes of one sort or another. Saw a few FJR's, which looked the best of course, and a few twin banger harleys puttering along. I cannot wait to hop on my bike and make the ride down 395 in Oregon, which is surely one of the prettiest roads in America, down past the Steens Mountains, and through Nevada, to Death Valley. The FJR is built for that kind of trip!

You have thought of about everything I can think of to do to your new bike. Did you mention the drive splines? Throttle Body Sync?

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Although the blue bikes are mighty cool and turn heads, the red are proven to be fastest by the Eyeball and Butt Test Society of North American Motorcycle Speed Verification (ETBSNAMSV). Now that you have the best overall machine on two wheels, you will start to see them everywhere.
I just did a road trip with my boys from our home here near Seattle, down to Death Valley and JTree. Some desert time. We drove a cage, but it was incredible how many people I saw on two wheels in the deserts of SoCal. Majority were on adventure bikes of one sort or another. Saw a few FJR's, which looked the best of course, and a few twin banger harleys puttering along. I cannot wait to hop on my bike and make the ride down 395 in Oregon, which is surely one of the prettiest roads in America, down past the Steens Mountains, and through Nevada, to Death Valley. The FJR is built for that kind of trip!

You have thought of about everything I can think of to do to your new bike. Did you mention the drive splines? Throttle Body Sync?
I bought the Morgan Carbtuner for the Throttle Body Sync and my plan is to get that done while I'm changing out the spark plugs. The brake/clutch fluid looked okay, but I'm going to get that changed as well, along with the radiator fluid. Looks like the only thing I need to look out for is the CCT. I'm sure when I get the back tire replaced I'll check out the rear splines. I've got 5/32nd's left on a set of Michelin's so it won't be too long.

Congrats! I had an 06 myself. I HIGHLY recommend a Powercommander. Amazing how much that little device improved the riding experience. Throttle response smoothed out so nicely, gone was the abrupt on/off throttle that plagued mine. Most noticeable in the twisties.

Congrats! I had an 06 myself. I HIGHLY recommend a Powercommander. Amazing how much that little device improved the riding experience. Throttle response smoothed out so nicely, gone was the abrupt on/off throttle that plagued mine. Most noticeable in the twisties.
I've got a G2 Throttle Tamer in the mail and some grip puppies that are waiting to be installed afterwards. We'll see how that works out and if its not enough I'll get the power commander. I'm not going to have to purchase new pipes or air intake like I did with the V-Twin so I assumed a power commander or comparable product would be a waste of money.

I also have an 06 with 134,000 miles on it. I did the Power Commander 5 on mine. Everything else is stock. The PCV has the capability for two maps. I wired mine to the emergency flasher switch, put it on a dyno and tuned one map for max performance and the other for best mileage. I use economy position when on the highway and the performance position as soon as I get to the twisties. Enjoy your new bike, it should last for many, many, miles. I did upgrade the suspension after 100K with a Penske rear shock and AK-20 front fork insides. Gave me the impression of a new bike all over again.

The power commander is all kinds of worth it. It runs so much better. The g2 does not really address the problem, just bandaids how you interact with it. Powercommander is Worth every cent and evident every mile, on a stock bike. Definitely one of the best mods I've done to any bike. Gone is that whack when u roll on the gas, most evident when mid corner and easing the power back on. You could prob pick up a used one fairly reasonable. I used thebDynojet map without any personal dyno time and was very happy. Either way, enjoy that awesome bike and rack up the miles. Congrats!!!

Another congrats on achieving one of the greatest examples of motorbikedom. Only have 66k on mine as the last few years I have been limited. Of course, the color of the 2006 is so awesome that it beared repeating.

If you strike out on any of the tail options I also have the stock piece that was taken off new for the Givi to go on. Been quite happy with the Givi rack and case over the ten years it has been on there.

Look for the Wynpro add-on foot for your sidestand. Ends having to worry about your stand melting into the pavement on a hot day, or sinking into soft ground. I hear it warms up in Oklahoma in the summer.

The greatest farkle is a good trip!