Pulled the Trigger on a 2016 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good move. I just did the same thing about 3 weeks ago. Traded in my 2006! I now have 2000 miles on my new ES. You are going to love it. I had a little trouble starting off with the clutch. It was grabbing all the way out. I adjusted downj 2 numbers and now it feels much better. My only complaint so far is that its a little hard shifting into first while stopped. This is one nice bike. Compared to the 2006, you`ll love the tranny and the way this baby handles. By the end of the week, I was averaging over 50 mpg which is a little more than the old one. Good luck.

I picked up the bike last night. My initial impression is extremely positive. The controls are very intuitive and easy to navigate. The suspension is much improved and clutch feel is light.

The release point of the clutch however will take some time to get used to. Also, while the windshield seems to work well, it looks so much smaller than the V Stream on my '06.

I'm taking the day off tomorrow to put some miles on it.

Somehow I wish I could afford a new 2016.
I'm not a blue color guy, but I did test ride one of these and man, it is what it says it is.

...Hubba...
Your avatar is both troubling and mesmerizing at the same time
punk.gif

I tell you what - the resurgence in new models being introduced is gonna kill my bank account in the next couple of years. I'm gonna have to show some restraint and wait for some of these new-fangled bikes to start showing up on Craigslist. What I'm thinking is in my future:

1) Pannigale 959 - sounds like the kind of Italian machine I've wanted for awhile, but gonna have to come down some from the $14k new bike sticker

2) a 2016 ES FJR - the '08's feeling a little long in the tooth and down on factory-built farkles.

3) Maybe an FZ10 - super reviews, but my Ninja's so new that selling it now would get some real raised eyebrows from the CFO at home.

I think I'll have to wait until maybe the winter of '17 to start picking these off during the non-riding season....

Ok, just got my 16 ES home.... very happy! Anybody know what FJR stands for? I always took it to be "Fine Japanese Ride" ! Now to start consuming the info in the owners manual. Wait for rush hour to wane, and take ride #2 in a bit.

yamadave posted: Ok, just got my 16 ES home.... very happy! Anybody know what FJR stands for? I always took it to be "Fine Japanese Ride" ! .......
FJR = 史上最高のオートバイ = Best Ever Motorcycle, in Japanese.

....... Now to start consuming the info in the owners manual. Wait for rush hour to wane, and take ride #2 in a bit.
Don't forget the 4,000-rpm limit on the break-in. But, just for giggles, see how fast that gets you in second gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Page 6-4 of the owners manual says" ( 0 - 600 miles) Avoid prolonged operation above 4500 r/min". I punched her up near 4500 rpm for a few seconds in 3rd, and it was pulling nicely there.

I just finished the six hundred mile service. Now I need to get it setup for me. I swapped seats with my'06 (rick mayer) and now I want to add a GPS mount, fuzeblock, and canyon cages.

Make sure they Loc-Tite'd the saddle bag lock cylinder screws.
Then enjoy!
This is no joke! On my ride a couple of weeks ago I was riding with a buddy on an '09 FJR. I was showing him the key knobs I made for my luggage. I put one of the keys into one of his locks to show him how they looked and when I tried to pull the key out his lock assembly came right out of his bag!! The latch and the 2 screws were just sitting there in place. Talk about good timing. He had been operating the bags earlier in the day to access his stuff. We carefully picked out the latch and the screws and rode 2 blocks to a Napa Auto Parts. We picked up the security torx and some locktite. Fixed him up right there on the sidewalk in front of the Napa store. :)

Congrats on your new bikes! I could buy a new bike, however I'm a too frugal and can't justify it when my 2004 just runs and handles so well. Maybe when I get 100K on the 2004.

Yamadave, im in Latham. We're very close.
My son will be attending Siena in the fall. He'll be playing baseball there . . . and studying computer science. I'm hoping to pick up a bike before then so I can ride over and watch some games.

Anyone notice putting the 16ES on the centerstand seems a bit easier than a Gen-1? Mine is an 05, and I know it is lighter than the ES, but seems easier to put the 16ES up. Since I haven't sold the 05, I sometimes take it for a ride, then rip around on the ES. Yes, the FJR has come a long way in those years.

Anyone notice putting the 16ES on the centerstand seems a bit easier than a Gen-1? Mine is an 05, and I know it is lighter than the ES, but seems easier to put the 16ES up. Since I haven't sold the 05, I sometimes take it for a ride, then rip around on the ES. Yes, the FJR has come a long way in those years.

I noticed this too... First time I put my '16 FJR up on its center stand I almost threw the whole bike out of the garage and down the driveway..!

Compared to my '08 Suzuki GSF1250 the FJR takes about 50% of the effort.

Last edited by a moderator: