Questions about a full oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarFox17

Reaction score
So, I have a few questions about changing oil for my 2009 fjr1300. I’m new to the forum here, so sorry if I do anything weird. I’m planning to get an oil change both for the motor and shaft drive. I’ve bought the bike used, so I didn’t get a service manual. My question is, what types of oil does it need, and how much? I’ve been doing a lot of looking over the internet, and I have encountered many different results of what people say the proper oil types and amounts are. Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have an owner's manual?  If not, you can download one from Yamaha for free.  It will give you specifications and quantities for final drive oil and engine oil. 

Or you could look at any of the dozens of oil threads on the forum.  Mostly found in the Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads (NEPRT) section.  Not pointless in this case but never ending and recurring.  Lots of good reading and maintenance tips on the forum.  Search function works pretty well and you are encouraged to use it.

Synthetic or conventional, and anything from 5W40 to 20W50 for motor oil.  Use motorcycle-specific or a quality diesel motor oil (Rotella or Delvac) without energy conserving additives which can give you clutch problems.  Will take just a bit over 1 US gallon.

For the final drive, most people use a multi-grade synthetic gear oil such as Mobil-1.  75W90, I think.  Yamaha sells their own but it is expensive.  Doesn't take much.

Don't over-torque drain plugs.  Yamaha's spec is too high for the engine oil drain!

I have been using Castrol 10w40 full synthetic motorcycle oil for several years. Mobil1 75w90 final drive oil. This has served me well over the past years and the prices are reasonable. Good idea to use new crush washer on the engine drain plug and just snug it up. Do not go beyond the point when it is snug. I reuse the final drive fill washer and change the drain washer every second service. 

While you are doing a lube service consider changing the anti-freeze, brake and clutch fluids. Unless you have documentation it was done recently you should do it.