Quick Contour HD camera audio question...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhody

Reaction score
Took a trial video of my camera on 2011 S1000RR with Taylor exhaust, camera mounted on steering head, and the sound quality sounds like a bunch of bees, it does not do the exhaust justice at all. Is there anything I can do to the camera, quick and dirty to clean up the sound (suppress the buzz) ?

Sponges, tape, dense foam ?

Would like to get decent sound quality at track tomorrow, sorry for the short fuse. Beggars can't be choosers. I will take what I can get.

Rhody...

cotton ball, foam

Is this off hand advice, or have you used it and how ? On the BMW forum, (this applies to GoPro HD camera only) someone suggested an auxilary ball micophone with a larger plastic (split) ball on top of that and cat hair inside of it to buffer the high frequency rattle and finally mounting the microphone on the other side of the exhaust, pointing backward, away from the wind. Does this sound reasonable ?

Rhody...

Rhody

I have no first hand knowledge at this time as I just signed up and started to use them, personally have GPS model. However, reading on other forums it appears that depending on the location of the camera you might get more noise then you would. As you have found this out already it happens to all on-board cameras.

If I am not mistaken you can also play a bit with the settings on the camera.

Let's start with how it sounds otherwise. Set it outside, run it, and record stuff. Ride by it. It may be that the built-in mike just sucks. Find that out first, before wondering why your riding vids sound so bad.

I totally forgot. Have you checked if you can adjust mic settings on the camera? I know for fact GPS model allows a full range of adjustment not only when connected to PC but also via iPhone.

It doesn't take much to generate nothing but wind noise with the built in mic. I have the Contour HD and have this problem with both the FJR videos & my dirt bike vids. I just mute the sound and add a music soundtrack during editing. The new Contour+ has an external mic input that would allow for a proper mic with a wind hood.

If your not going to upgrade the camera and want the bike sounds my only suggestion would be to buy a voice recorder that has a wind hood and use that to record the bike sounds and then sync the soundtrack to the video during editing. A PITA I know but its the only way I know of doing it properly.

Short of that try setting the sound level at somewhere around 10-15% and experiment from there.

Latest posts