Radiator cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the first things on the bike. Conversations here a couple of years ago made me think about a rock or something through the radiator somewhere between somewhere and nowhere. Bought the same things from Bike Johnny in the UK. You can find their web link on FJR Tech.com Net price about the same and they support the community.

Why don't you make your own?

Mine is attached with cable ties, I think the ones you buy require some dismantling of the bike.

rad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are wasting your money here, as both the 06 and 07 come with a sufficiant sized protector.

Older models had more of the radiator exposed. Unless you plan on traveling 150mph all the time, it would take a fairly good sized rock to punch a hole in the radiator, and the stock guard should stop it.

The stainless steel does look cool however........

but the picture you posted is for the older FJR's , not the 06-08 model

KM

Within the first 1000 miles of use I installed the black Wild Hair radiator screen on a 2007 FJR. Fits nicely and unobtrusive. No heating issues since putting an additional 11,000 miles on the bike. Lots of road trash in the Arkansas delta. Logging, agricultural and red neck debris. Great sense of comfort when riding back roads in a freshly logged area with sticks and what not on the road.

Your description says you have an 07.

Starting in 06 there is SOME protection from the factory.

I don't think the guard is as neccessary as it would be for Gen I FJR's, but additional protection can't hurt, and it looks nice also.

Your description says you have an 07.
Starting in 06 there is SOME protection from the factory.

I don't think the guard is as neccessary as it would be for Gen I FJR's, but additional protection can't hurt, and it looks nice also.

Didn't I say that?

LOL

KM

You may have better Mororcycle recovery available to you over in the States along with more dealers.

Recovery service in Aust is limited and expensive, dealers are few and far between.

I personally know of 4 holed radiators in the last 8 months.

One only was an FJR but he holed his on the way to Alice Springs, miles from any where.

Contacted a recovery service in Adelaide, 6 hours away.

Lucky for him it was only 45 deg celcius.

Got the bike back to Adelaide 15 hours after he called for help, recovery alone was $AUS1,275.

Hate to hole a radiator going across the Nullabor..........hey Steve?

The protection the gen2 bikes have is very minimal, stones will easily pass through it.

Made this one from the "kick plate" panel from an old storm door, some plastic edging, gorilla glue, spray paint and zip ties. Fits like a glove, don't look half bad and protects well. Shot from underneath looking up.

rad_guard.jpg

Made this one from the "kick plate" panel from an old storm door, some plastic edging, gorilla glue, spray paint and zip ties. Fits like a glove, don't look half bad and protects well. Shot from underneath looking up.
rad_guard.jpg
You did a nice looking job on your radiator cover, I was thinking about doing something like it but haven't gotten to it as of yet. From the looks of it your protector could take a decent shot and still allow the radiator to stay in-tact at least enough to get you home or to a shop. Like they say about this kind of stuff "It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it". I finally did order the Fender Extender which may keep a lot of the stuff that gets bounced up off of the road away from the radiator. I figured for $38.00 including shipping it would ba a heck of a lot cheaper than a replacement radiator. Hopefully between the Fender Extender and a nice radiator cover like the one you built, it may keep the radiator demons away, I'd really hate to have a hole punched into the radiator in the middle of no-where.

Nice job.

I can't justify paying $75 or higher for a rad cover. So I went to H Depot and bought some screen-fence material as if you were going to build a small animal cage. I'll probably paint it black. Plan is to use zip ties to hold it in place. If it works I'll have spent less than $10. The rad is hidden so who cares on the details how it looks.

I need to upgrade my '06 radiator cover also. Last year while in Colorado I had to repair a hole caused by some road debri. After temporary fix to make it home I sent it in to have a professional repair it - good as new almost until next time unless I get a better cover . . . FYI