RAM mount on left bar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I bought a RAM ball ($6) and spent another $4 on hardware for a 10mm x 1.25 thread count bolt and put a RAM ball on my left handlebar for my GPS. It bolts right into the existing "mirror mount" bolt hole.

Photo gallery of how I did it is here:

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ram

medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really, I actually like this location as it gets it up high and in my line of sight so I don't have to go heads-down in the cockpit to read the GPS. It may vibrate a bit more than if it weren't mounted to handlebars, but it never is enough that it bothers me.

Fred,

Is there a place locally that carries the RAM Hardware? I have never seen it in any of the stores around dallas.

Todd

I have a RAM ball that I can't use, which I paid $20 for. Not sure if it's the same one as Fred's here. My GPS is going in the middle because I just put my J&M where Fred has his GPS. So RAM ball for sale once I get the packaging info.

Dunno if you can get RAM stuff locally or not, I have never seen it. I always end up having to order what I need.

Here is a good site that has about any RAM gear you would every possibly need, and then some.

For some reason, the site is down right now, but you might try it later and see if it is working.

https://www.mobilecx.com/index.html

I just put my J&M where Fred has his GPS.
Sorry to hear you bought J&M equipment. I think you would be far happier with an Autocom or Baehr unit.

Sorry to hear you bought J&M equipment. I think you would be far happier with an Autocom or Baehr unit.

Nope! I love the J&M products, this is my second one. I checked all them out and I don't believe those others are better products. I like being able to hear the truckers on the CB so I can find out about cops and traffic and stuff. And the sound quality on the music is excellent.

I bought a RAM ball ($6) and spent another $4 on hardware for a 10mm x 1.25 thread count bolt and put a RAM ball on my left handlebar for my GPS. It bolts right into the existing "mirror mount" bolt hole.
Photo gallery of how I did it is here:

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/ram

medium.jpg
Nifty, i was wondering what that disco ball was for until i clicked on the link that showed the finished picture. Nice work.

"Sorry to hear you bought J&M equipment. I think you would be far happier with an Autocom or Baehr unit."

Personally I think the J&M is a great peice of equipment. I use it, my buddies use it and it works great with no problems noted as of yet. Having a CB on long trips is great. The weather stations are very helpfull and the music quality coming from my MP3 player thru the J&M is outstanding. I use to use a Starcom1 on my BMW but found through some of my friends that the J&M was much better suited to my tastes. No need to knock a perfectly good product that many folks like and use. I think most people can agree that the J&M, Autcom, Behr and Starcom1 are all good products. No need to be "sorry"...... B)

Personally I think the J&M is a great peice of equipment. I use it, my buddies use it and it works great with no problems noted as of yet.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound antagonistic. It is just that I have been testing various intercoms for about 9 years now and I can tell you that there is a huge difference between the sound quality of units like the Autcom and Baehr, and the J&M stuff. Autocom has the best noise cancellation in the industry and is used by Formula One drivers. Their units use active electronic filters to remove wind and road noise from the system, and the result is that you can use their units at much higher speeds. I have used an Autocom while talking bike to bike with both bikes traveling at 145mph (on a closed track) and the voice quality was crystal clear, like talking on the telephone.

Baehr also use good active filtration on their systems, though they are a bit more pricey.

I have also used lower grade intercoms that become totally unusable at any speed over about 70mph because they only employ what they call "noise cancelling mics" and don't have any active noise filtration in the intercom amps. Noise cancelling mics are not really very effective, and while they may help a little, a good intercom will not rely on them for noise reduction. Proper noise reduction can only be done with sophisticated frequency filtration on the amps themselves.

Of all the different systems I have used, I feel that Autocom offers not only the best bang for the buck, but also has the very best noise filters in the business. If you are happy with your J&M, I suggest you never try an Autocom, because once you do, you won't like your J&M anymore.

As for CB versus FRS, I really don't care for CB due to all the chatter and junk on the airwaves, and the AM modulation causes lots of noise, plus you always have to fiddle with a squelch and get poor range. I can use a $50 FRS UHF radio that gets zero noise and static, has no squelch to mess with, and runs on 3 AA batteries for a week and takes up about the same size as a pack of ciggarrettes, and I get better range out of it. For bike-to-bike communication, it really is a better option. I guess if you want to listen to truckers then you are stuck with CB, but personally, I don't care to hear all their useless chatter. You also can now get FRS radios that have built in Weather Radios so it can do double duty.

I bought a RAM mount for my GPS that attaches to the tank mount. It works good for me.

RAM mounting hardware can also be bought at Whitehorse Press, a motorcycle-friendly operation in New Hampshire that also sells books, videos and other mc related stuff. I bought my Garmin Quest RAM mount there last fall, and they are really great folks there! RAM hardware is top notch - with 2500 miles on the mount, I've never even had to tighten the unit. Here in Canada, I bought more RAM mounting hardware, the AQUA Box, for my iPod from GPS Central in Calgary - they have a great return policy and thier prices are decent - I'm just trying to figure out right now if anyone knows whether the RAM B-231 u-bolt will fit to the FJR handlebar?

Really, I'n not a schill for Whitehorse or GPS Central, I've just had good experiences dealing with them!

Jim