RAT 48 Insanity Gold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The Rat 48 is a relatively new ride in which a rider must ride the perimeter of the lower 48 states and get a time dated receipt at certain checkpoints.
I will be attempting this ride starting the ride the evening of June 30th. I will be attempting the Insanity Gold version which gives a rider 20 days to complete the ride, but an in state SS1k must be done at the 4 corner states. I’m leaning toward a clockwise ride starting and finishing in Key West.
My first “Problem” comes with the Venice, LA checkpoint. Seems the gas station there closes at 5 pm. There are 2 bars open at night, but neither say they have a time dated receipt with the required info. Does anyone have any knowledge on obtaining a receipt? I’ve been there before (Mississippi Headwaters Ride) but it was day time and I had no issue.
Any help would be appreciated. I plan on doing this ride in SS1k legs and completing it in 11 or 12 days . I will post up a SPOT link later.

Seems the gas station there closes at 5 pm.
Google Maps says two gas stations. Both closed? (ELLZEY and Hartt's)
Looks like an interesting IBA ride.

Edit: Will they accept a time dated receipt from somewhere reasonably nearby with your Spotwalla to prove that you actually made it all the way to Venice?

Last edited:
I will inquire on the IBA forum. (They are a little busy right now with the IBR) There is a sign that says Southern most point of Louisiana. I’m hoping a picture with a SPOT ping will suffice. Sunday the station is closed.

Ya know, I'm desperately trying to give up the money-sucking hobby that is long-distance riding. Then you go and post something like this.

A ride around the US, as close to the perimeter as you could route, sounds like a lot of fun.
If successful, this will be my 18th 10/10ths. Instead of the New England SS1k, I will attempt a Maine in state SS1k.
I have been to all but 2 of the checkpoints. Washington in state SS1k will be interesting too.

If successful, this will be my 18th 10/10ths. Instead of the New England SS1k, I will attempt a Maine in state SS1k.
I have been to all but 2 of the checkpoints. Washington in state SS1k will be interesting too.
Unless you add stops in all six New England states, it doesn't qualify for the RAT 48 Gold Insanity - says it needs to include New England 1000.
"You must obtain a DBR from each of the six states in the New England Region, and at least every 350 miles. Each receipt must indicate the city, state, date, and time. Check your receipts."
Edit: I suppose you could do the Maine in-state SS1K and proceed through the other New England states...

Last edited:
Unless you add stops in all six New England states, it doesn't qualify for the RAT 48 Gold Insanity - says it needs to include New England 1000.
"You must obtain a DBR from each of the six states in the New England Region, and at least every 350 miles. Each receipt must indicate the city, state, date, and time. Check your receipts."
Edit: I suppose you could do the Maine in-state SS1K and proceed through the other New England states...
I’m only on day 2 of planning. When I get to Day 9 I will have to decide if I want to give up the Maine ride. It won’t take much to modify my ideas. I won’t be riding with a fuel cell, so receipts will be a natural.