Readable stem caps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyEd

Reaction score
I was in Auto-zone yesterday and noticed a new product. I did a quick search and did not see it on the site. Looks like the caps come in preset pressure settings and turn green if the pressure is correct or red if low. When you look down at the cap the top is not black or silver, but flat with the pressure numbers showing. I looks about the same size as a regular valve stem cap. Im sure somebody will want to give it the full test, I just kicked out $20. for a new tire gauge last week.

I agree. I remember when these first came out, some people put them on their cars. It seemed like every time they looked, the darn things were red. Fill 'her up, next time they looked, red again.

The schrader valve is what holds pressure on a valve stem. A cap that pushes the shrader valve in to read pressure means that the threads on the cap/stem are what have to seal the pressure, and they aren't meant to do that.

Stay away from them. I had them on one of my bikes and the plastic top on one of the caps broke and the tire immediately deflated. Luckily, I was not riding the bike when this happened.

Have heard of the failure stories and also inaccurracy stories as well. It's a great idea in theory, however, execution has not reached expectations.

Stay away from them. I had them on one of my bikes and the plastic top on one of the caps broke and the tire immediately deflated. Luckily, I was not riding the bike when this happened.
Ditto, dad had these on his RT, he thought they were the bees knees. Until he noticed that every day he was topping off his tires. I'd check mine, they'd be fine... They eventually went by the wayside.

They are inacutare, and can also put a strain on your valve stem causing early failure. Good for cars, bad for bikes. The pressure readings that you get are a few lb between green and red if I recall correctly.

Example

My used bike came with them set to show green until less than 36 psi. Yes they hold the valve open and if you don't get a good airtight seal on the threads they will leak. I've had mine on now for 8K miles with no problem at all, but these comments have me thinking I'll pull them off tonight. I think I'll just adapt the technique I used with pedal bicycles for decades and develop an educated thumb for a fast check. You know dig your thumb into the tire and feel the resistance!

My used bike came with them set to show green until less than 36 psi. Yes they hold the valve open and if you don't get a good airtight seal on the threads they will leak. I've had mine on now for 8K miles with no problem at all, but these comments have me thinking I'll pull them off tonight. I think I'll just adapt the technique I used with pedal bicycles for decades and develop an educated thumb for a fast check. You know dig your thumb into the tire and feel the resistance!
I have bike effects 90 degree valve stems, and checking tires before a ride is a snap. Really. If you don't have 90 degree stems with those double disks in the front, checking air and airing up IS a real pain...especially if yer all suited up on a warm day.

Not a problem anymore. 90 degree stems. Period.

OR......you could just go buy a tire pressure gauge for a few bucks.

OR......you could just go buy a tire pressure gauge for a few bucks

LOL, Yeah I got me some of them but, the thumb check can be done in less than 5 seconds while doing the quick check for general safety. I use the tire gauge a couple of times a month, but it takes me at least 4 minutes for that and I end up leaking some air or passing some gas when I have to bend over.

I recently checked the accuracy of my assortment of guages and ended up throwing out a couple of them. I have one really accurate digital guage made for car racing and use that as my reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wonders why some other forums I frequent won't let you nest quotes in posts. . . . . :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a set and they were ABSOLUTE CRAP! Very flimsy, inaccurate and one just disintegrated in my hand while adding air.

Thank God I was in my driveway. If I were doing 90 on I95, I'd be toast!!! Don't do it!

There've been a number of threads about troubles people've had with these. Any piece of road debris or good bump that will hit the cap can potentially make them release air. Not what I'd want while tooling along on I-95 with the wind storms blowing debris around like has been happening lately.