Rear subframe failure poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your FJR (all gens) rear subframe failed during normal use?

• Total voters
My FJR looks much like the one in the picture when I go camping. So far no problems. However this thread makes me think if I put the bike on a trailer or pickup truck I'll not connect tie downs to the rear hand rails. That could put alot of stress on the subframe.Bill

The grabrails are NOT a good tie down point. They are just plastic resin. You won't crack your rear sub-frame, but you very well may break the grab rails. Use the square tube (green) part of the subframe for a rear tie down location. No pressure/tension is needed on the rear tie downs anyway, they are just to keep the rear end from kicking around when the bike bounces over bumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem has more to do with miles and where you ride. Mine failed at about 90,000 miles. I had a Tanji fuel cell which had very little weight on the rear, the bulk of the weight sits on the frame under the passenger seat. I think rough roads, dirt roads etc. put a lot more stress on it over time. It is a poor design, and I wish they would have fixed it on the Gen III's but they did not.

Latest posts