Recent Coolant / oil leak, maybe last oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taste it. If it tastes like oil, it's oil, if it tastes like coolant, it's coolant. This ain't chem 101. Watch it for a couple of days, if it turns brown, it's blood.
And if it is water soluble, it is coolant or hydraulic fluid.

If not water soluble, it is engine oil or fork oil.

If it eats a hole in your concrete floor, it is battery acid.

Figure out what it is and people will be better able to help you.

Where is  hydraulic fluid on an FJR?
Stop right there! There is NO "hydraulic fluid" on an FJR as that has a specific connotation to stuff put in tractors.  Reread the posts with "hydraulic" and you'll see the thread drifted....from what I guess was an off-hand reference to a generic fluid that is moving in a confined space under pressure.

Let's get back to the OP please and help GMAK identify his puddle source and content.

Thanks.

The Management

Stop right there!

The Management
Great.  Now I got that damn Meatloaf song stuck in my head.

2020/05/07

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a medium liquid puddle beneath the
FJR. It was coming from beneath that panel that lives below the
radiator.
The panel that hides the exhaust headers. Eventually, I was
able to gain a restricted look around the sides, and below the headers,
I see a few short rubber type hoses. So, I figured it's a coolant leak.

Anyway, to be brief, for various reasons, I'm thinking it may be oil . . . .
Are those short hoses attached to the radiator?  Or further back, hanging straight down and not attached to anything?  In either case are any of those hoses wet with fluid?

Clutch and brakes are hydraulically actuated.  DOT4 used in these systems is a hydraulic fluid.  Not the same as what is used in a front end loader but still qualifies. 

A hydraulic fluid or hydraulic liquid is the medium by which power is transferred in hydraulic machinery. Common hydraulic fluids are based on mineral oil or water. Examples of equipment that might use hydraulic fluids are excavators and backhoes, hydraulic brakes, power steering systems, transmissions, garbage trucks, aircraft flight control systems, lifts, and industrial machinery.

I'm very very sorry for not responding to these recent comments.

I requested notification(s) of pending responses, but as of this writing,

no notification(s) have been received.

This is my first visit to my original post, to see if any responses arrived.

I will reply individually, and probably not rely further on automated notification(s).

Thank you.
I use the "show new messages since last visit" to see what all is going on. One thing to check is your junk mail folder (and rules) in case they are getting rerouted.

-back again-

I checked your profile and, while you had that setting (notify me) turned on, the defaults are to notify you when you log in (not to send email). I think I fixed those settings for you.

Am I demonstrating the statement that synthetic leak(s) may/will appear if used on older vehicles?
That's from waaay back when synthetics were new. Even a Gen 1 FJR isn't old enough to fall into that group.

Thanks to ya'll ("Ya'll" - A Texas Term for everyone
Point of order: Y'all is singular. All Y'all is plural. :D

A hydraulic fluid or hydraulic liquid is the medium by which power is transferred in hydraulic machinery.
Hydraulics are just liquid based (can use anything including water) where neudraulics uses air (gases of various kinds).

All of my liquid cooled vehicles,

including the FJR, have both a 

radiator and an oil cooler. 
Perhaps, but I'm not familiar with it. And, unless the oil cooler is internally mounted,

or the FJR is a dry sump system, the oil cooler is gonna' require external oil lines.

Granted, as I said earlier, I'm no FJR/motorcycle mechanic, and the FJR's guts are

well hidden. But, I've never seen external oil line(s) on an FJR. Nor have I ever seen

external oil line(s) on any of the liquid cooled, wet sump, motorcycles I've owned.

However, not for motorcycles, but automobiles do employ external fluid lines tethered

to a heat exchange unit near the vehicle radiator. But that's a transmission fluid

cooler. I suppose the FJR might have an oil cooler, but I never saw one in the fiche.

Of course, I wasn't focused on an oil cooler search during my fiche visits.

Thank you.

I use the "show new messages since last visit" to see what all is going on. One thing to check is your junk mail folder (and rules) in case they are getting rerouted.

-back again-

I checked your profile and, while you had that setting (notify me) turned on, the defaults are to notify you when you log in (not to send email). I think I fixed those settings for you.

That's from waaay back when synthetics were new. Even a Gen 1 FJR isn't old enough to fall into that group.

Point of order: Y'all is singular. All Y'all is plural. :D

Hydraulics are just liquid based (can use anything including water) where neudraulics uses air (gases of various kinds).
Thanks Bounce, for the corrections, clarifications, and comments.

As you may have guessed, I just hate to work on things of hardware. My fact less assessment was based mostly on the concurrence of synthetic blend introduction, and

liquid puddle appearance. Combined with, age old synthetic rumor concerning older vehicles, and I've got my assumptive cause.

Thank you.

OK, I'm going to remove the necessary plastic, and hopefully answer the questions pending. Hopefully, that will definitively identify the cause. But, I'm late this morning with my

typical last minute Mothers day activities. I'll post my findings once I have the necessary information. I will say that I really liked the synthetic oil experience over this last change

internal. It really smoothed out shifting, seemed to stay a little cooler in this stoplight-to-stoplight traffic, and gained me about 100-150 rpm at idle. Apparently, I was a little hasty

by assuming the leakage rumor I'd heard for many years. We'll see. And, I guess I'll gain some experience as well.

Thank you.

I can't disagree with that, but I'm confused.... Assessing the filter location, it looks like this #1/#2 item is mounted on the engine front. You sure can't cool much oil with the unit mounted

on the engine, and behind plastic that restricts air flow. I'll look for it after plastic removal. That O-ring sure looks suspicious though. For $420.95-$554.99, the thing must be made from

gold. Is that #17 a cam chain?

Great.  Now I got that damn Meatloaf song stuck in my head.

Are those short hoses attached to the radiator?  Or further back, hanging straight down and not attached to anything?  In either case are any of those hoses wet with fluid?
There are some short hoses behind the "conical" area enclosing the exhaust headers. And, the best I could see, mine are damp with something, and in bad shape where the clamps

secure them. I'll know better after I'm able to get a good look.

Thank you.

2020/05/12

Ok, I've removed the large "Port" side panel(and broke a plastic tab on a fold out cooling panel 😢).
And, I'm not exactly sure of the problem, but I'll provide these details, and my assumptions.

. It's coolant. The overflow reservoir appears very close to empty, except for just a trace of liquid on the
    tube I removed.
. I also think that the reservoir may have a hairline crack. There's very little, but some coolant residue on
    the underside. The coolant appears to be a redish-brown color. At least that's my guess.
. There is a short coolant hose that's wet on the underside. Not soaking wet, just passively wet. I can see
    no breach in this short(maybe 3'' long) hose. But, as we know, a hose like this can become
    porous from age, without showing any overt leak cause. This short hose seems to be the only
    place showing any sign of external coolant.
. The leak has long since stopped. I suspect there's probably not enough remaining coolant to leak.
. Referring to https://www.yamahapartsmonster.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045b44f8700209bc79404f/radiator-hose
    The hose7 I've been describing is #28. The #28 hose7 feeds into the unidentified part at lower
    connector #30. #28 hose7, at upper connector #30 intersects with a metal pipe that comes
    from somewhere that I can seem to find on the fiche.
. The #29 hose8 exits the unidentified part, and leads upward into the lower radiator.
. The unidentified part, that looks kinda' like a "Dinty Moore" stew can, contains ports on each side. One
    port connects the #28 hose7, and the other port connects the #29 hose8. This unidentified part
    is what "SLK50" and I have been discussing as the "oil cooler". This fiche apparently does not
    identify this part as "oil cooler", or anything else, that I can see. It looks to me like some kind of
    impeller to return coolant to the radiator. But, I really don't have a clue.
. In summary, it appears that simply a replacement of #28 hose7 would solve the problem(discounting the
    possible reservoir bottle seepage). But, I've been around the block enough times to exercise
    a much more cynical position.

Thank you.

Make sure all hose clamps are tight enough.  As they age, you might have to tweak the clamp a bit to prevent seeping.

I mentioned that I had two separate issues.  Cracked coolant overflow tank and a hole in the radiator - from no apparent cause.  Others have reported cracked overflow tanks as well as radiator leaks not caused by road debris.

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/172405-leaking-radiator/?tab=comments#comment-1372063