Recommended Tire Pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 PSI if you really want to increase you mileage, just kidding. :lol:

40/40 works well for me, not even sure if the gauge is correct anyway.

How's about nitrogen instead of air in the summer or ridding in the desert were the temperature changes dramatically and can cause moisture in your tire that could damage the tires and rims?

I believe there are other issues with Nitrogen due to the permeability of the tire to the smaller molecules of the Nitrogen. Frankly, good old air is pretty easy and widely available. ;)

Sidelight on a Tandem Bicycle we always ran 140 in a 100 lb tire no problems. With the information of tire pressures here I upped my SV 2 lb F & R and it felt much better. Cupping on the front is the reason so many went 42/42.

I was happy to run my FJR with the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures. They were in the manual as BAR pressures. I converted them to psi and came up with 36 psi (front) and 38 psi (rear) for two-up riding.

My mechanic said I would be much happier if I ran the bike 42/42, as many have said here. Well, the ride is pretty stiff, but the bike sure does turn into a corner quicker.

After our last trip to Wales, I am committed to the higher tyre pressures. Avon tyres.

@TWN - What local chain? I may be confusing one of the threads on helium about the molecules size. :unsure:

I think most of us started with the recommended pressures, but on the BT-020s that came with my bike, the front cupped badly at 36 psi. I already was running 40+ in the rear due to my weight. After the next tire swap, I upped to 42/42 and haven't looked back as I get better wear and have no issues with ride quality.

I was asleep at the wheel. A couple weeks ago, I checked my tire pressure after not riding much at all over the winter. I was at 23/23 on the stock Metzlers. You know, when I did that parade in Indy in first gear, it was incredibly easy to creep along.

I noticed the wear of the front tire was a little odd. The center tread looked great, but the "conrnering" tread looked worn out. Now there's not much curves to be had here in the flatlands, so I thought something was wrong. Duh. :huh:

I figure that with 8K miles on these tires, I might get 16K since I now run 41/41 in them. I figure I got all that extra trad left in the middle to use! Dumb luck, eh? Once I aired up the tires I felt like I was on ball bearings until I got used to it. Uh...duh... :huh:

The rear tire looks perfectly fine. I sure like running 41/41 in the stockers. Truthfully, they wll get scrapped before the EOM in September. Probably go the Avon route at the change.

I'll try to stay a little closer to my digital pressure gauge. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

I've seen different pressures quoted as recommended for the Avon Azero's. Here's what I found in Avon's fitment guide for the ABS bike. Does anyone have an "official" document that disagrees with this:

Bike

Make: Yamaha Capacity: 1300

Model: FJR 1300A ABS Type: SPORT TOURING

Start Year: 2001 End Year:

Code: RP 08

Name: 120/70 R17 (58W) AV45-ST, AV49-SP Sport, Pro-Series

Rims: MT3.50-17 Size: 120/70-17

Pressure: 2.50bar (36psi)

Name: 180/55 R17 (73W) AV46-ST, AV50-SP Sport, Pro-Series

Rims: MT5.50-17 Size: 180/55-17

Pressure: 2.90bar (42psi)

I just replaced the (nail perforated) Metz's with Avon's today.

Cheers,

Jim

Sorry, OC. I didn't see you question til just now...

Big Brand Tires (bigbrands.com). No mention of it on their site, but it is in their radio advertising...

Thanks TWN. Interesting.

JimV - Load plays into it. Two up riders or heavyweights like me can benefit from the higher front pressure. Trust us. Those running sustained high speeds and fully loaded have documented increased tread life with the higher pressures.

Some prefer the trade off of perceived traction increase with lower pressure in the front. I can't argue this isn't the case in some conditions with some tires. What I can say is that with Avons fantastic wet traction, I've ridden quite briskly around corners in the wet w/o ever feeling compromised. Rain riding is a fact of life in Oregon.

They also put in the ads that you can 'call the prsident, Greg' if you have any questions...

1-800-564-6454 or e-mail him: greg at bigbrand dot com

What is recommended for solo day trips, no bags and a rider at about 200 pounds including gear?

btw, Avon tires.

36/42 just like the manual says for stock tires. I've tried 42/42 and had the front break loose in a hard curve more than once. Nothing seriously out of control but definately enough to cause an instant pucker! By the way, I'm a heavyweight at 240 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running the Avons at 42/42 on my '04 FJR and it's perfect for me. I weigh about 225, usually ride solo. My son and I also have GSXR's for when I want to ride a fullblown sportbike and get real crazy but I'm probably a more aggressive rider than most FJR'ers, have never felt the Avons even approach the feeling of breaking loose, great on wet roads. Currrently at 8500 miles on the Avons, estimate I will get at least 11,000, maybe close to 12,000 miles wear.

Just took a 300 mile day ride up to North Shore Tahoe, up and over Mt. Rose, took the Truck Route out of Virginia City--talk about a great 12 mile stretch of peg scrapping road, the cops apparently look the other way on that stretch of road, per the locals we spoke with. Scared the crapola out of myself several times scrapping pegs on the FJR but the Avons never faltered. Love 'em.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California :agent: