Red vs Graphite

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote Chris

Reaction score
I am a red bike fan, but I admit the graphite looks pretty good. My main complaint about the 2014 red I am buying is the side cover colors.....I have seen pics of red FJRs with red covers....will these bolt right on? I am sure the color is probably a shade off, but still.....and the silver under the tank???? What were they thinking?

I think red bikes are a bit easier to see for the cagers...which is why fire engines are not liquid graphite.... ;)

Have you looked at a 2014 on a bright, sunny day? Out in the heat of summer all those things cease to matter and that bike becomes one of the most perfect motorcycles to ever roll off an assembly line.

I love my '15 and I had the option to get either color. I went with the '15 because it was the right choice for me. However, the '14 Red is pretty damned wonderful. Please do not tell the '14 owners I said that.
weirdsmiley.gif

Of course, the '15 is superior in every way. And they have yet to improve upon the color of the '07.

NOT a fan of red bikes, but Skooters '14 looks pretty good fixed up! Red side panels are OEM so color match is exact.

20150218_123105_zpshizyl9ty.jpg

--G

Have you looked at a 2014 on a bright, sunny day? Out in the heat of summer all those things cease to matter and that bike becomes one of the most perfect motorcycles to ever roll off an assembly line.
I love my '15 and I had the option to get either color. I went with the '15 because it was the right choice for me. However, the '14 Red is pretty damned wonderful. Please do not tell the '14 owners I said that.
weirdsmiley.gif

Of course, the '15 is superior in every way. And they have yet to improve upon the color of the '07.

I think both bikes look sharp but in different ways,,, The bids are in and I am giving the winning bidder till Tuesday at Noon to find me a red one. If they dont, I go to bidder number two.

How about black?
FJR%20Sharp_zpsusyff2l3.jpg
NOT a fan of red bikes, but Skooters '14 looks pretty good fixed up! Red side panels are OEM so color match is exact.
20150218_123105_zpshizyl9ty.jpg

--G
Wow! How did he get the red side pannels and the black "under the tank" cowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks great!
OK, so I need to find the part no. of the red side pannels and black under tank cowl....could someone have Skooter give me a PM?

Red side panels could be purchased at any Yamaha dealer, around $130.

Black under tank is a wrap (tape)

I waited a long time for a red FJR, but have to agree the silver panel under the seat looks odd. I'm going in to get the red side panel. Thanks for the pict!!!

I waited a long time for a red FJR, but have to agree the silver panel under the seat looks odd. I'm going in to get the red side panel. Thanks for the pict!!!
Thanks for the info....so the red side pannels can be purchased for $130 each or the pair? Are they from a previous year or do I just tell them I want red side pannels????

Could you please be more specific about the wrap, what it is and how I get some? These two mods really improve the look of the bike.

Chris, IIRC the side panels are sourced from Europe. Search around the forum and you'll find a couple threads on the subject. There's a current thread on the CF wrap...I'd link it but I'm on the freakin iPad...

--G

I've never found the silver side panels to look odd. They look like they belong. I've just never had a bike that had continuous color front to back. I could see getting a set as a novelty. RFH- the dark shield looks excellent. If I could tint my OEM shield, which never sees use, I might use it when it's hot.

I've never found the silver side panels to look odd. They look like they belong. I've just never had a bike that had continuous color front to back. I could see getting a set as a novelty. RFH- the dark shield looks excellent. If I could tint my OEM shield, which never sees use, I might use it when it's hot.
Yup...On the black bike, I like the color matched panels. Not so much on the red bike. I love red, but for some reason, it's too much. The red needs the silver accents in my opinion. Of course, that's all it is...Opinions.
Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Stealth Gray of the '13 is simply the best color ever produced.
Sorry, sir you are disqualified from this debate. Whatever Yamaha sprayed onto the surface of the 2013 does not even register as a color. IF it were to be identified in the spectrum it would fall in the center of the UV light scale. "U" meaning Urine and "V" meaning Vomit.

Such a nice motorcycle betrayed by its paint...
uhoh.gif

RFH - I notice the Liquid Graphite doesn't even need pavement whereas the Candy Red has difficulty staying on the proper side of the road.