Regular vs Heavy rated tires question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run the PR4 GT on both my old ST1300 and my '15 FJR. Dad is running the PR4 standard tires on his '07 FJR.

I am not agreeing with the consensus with regards to ride quality. I found the PR4 GT to give a harsher ride than the standard tire. I assume this is due to a stiffer carcass. If anyone has actually installed these tires themselves perhaps this could be verified?

We have had good wear from both the standard and GT versions of the PR4, Dad has not worn his first set out yet so we do not know for sure. Based on the ride quality alone I will be trying a set of the standard PR4s next.

Finally, just my personal opinion... My ST1300 was about 80 pounds heavier than my FJR and there are plenty of ST1300s out there with some pretty high mileage numbers and there are lots of FJRs out there that put on lots of miles with lots of extra weight LONG before we had access to these "GT" spec "heavy duty" tires. What has changed? While I am all about embracing new technology and advancements in tire quality, I do not see the point of the GT spec for a solo rider who is not carrying a lot of extra weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not agreeing with the consensus with regards to ride quality. I found the PR4 GT to give a harsher ride than the standard tire. I assume this is due to a stiffer carcass.
Myself and Pillion make a full load for the FJR so I've always run heavyweight tires on my '04. Last fall I decided to try the standard PR4 and see what happens to tire life. The PR4 standard tire was a PIT to mount and the rear didn't want to spread the beads far enough apart to allow for inflation. After a lot of cussing I got the tires inflated. When I went out for a road test I didn't have to go more than 100' to notice that it felt like I took off heavy weight work boots and put on light weight sneakers. At least for me, the change in feel was dramatic going from the heavy weight to standard PR4. My '04 turned into a '15 ES in January so I don't know how tire life would have compared.

For what it's worth, Pirelli's website shows the "A" spec for the rear and the non "A" spec for the front for the FJR.

Interestingly, when I checked yesterday, the Michelin website (tirefinder) reported that, "MICHELIN provides tires for more than 3000 motorcycles ... but unfortunately not for this one." Website glitch, but funny nonetheless.

For what it's worth, Pirelli's website shows the "A" spec for the rear and the non "A" spec for the front for the FJR.
This is the exact combination I have on my bike now. The "A" spec front tire did not exist when I bought this set. Next set will likely just be regular Angel GT's front and rear.

I am always solo- always- with maybe 20 lbs of stuff plus my 185 lbs. I long ago quit buying the heavier rated GT/A/whatever spec for my bike. For me there's no difference in handling or longevity and it's simply not worth any extra cost whatsoever.

ETA: looked at my records- last non-heavy spec front Angel lasted 11k miles. Last non-heavy spec rear Angel lasted about 7.5k miles.