removing the old windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbreeze

Reaction score
Well my Cee Bailey's finally got here. I was looking to see how the old windshield is removed. I thought it would be obvious, but I'm scratching my head.

So has anyone written instructions on how to change the windshield? There were no instructions with the new one, and the owner's manual is useless, of course.

any help appreciated

well I got it done. I think if I ever have the pleasure of meeting who ever came up with that mounting system, I'm gonna treat him to a swift kick in the nuts. :angry2:

well I got it done. I think if I ever have the pleasure of meeting who ever came up with that mounting system, I'm gonna treat him to a swift kick in the nuts. :angry2:

There is an easier way to remove the windscreen, however it involves dropping the bike from off the sidestand onto a wall about 3 feet away. Ripped mine off in about 3 seconds...

Consider changing the stock two *W* trim screws to SS socket head allens. Makes it a lot easier to see and get an allen wrench to them.

--G

Consider changing the stock two *W* trim screws to SS socket head allens. Makes it a lot easier to see and get an allen wrench to them.

--G
I didn't have any problem seeing them, but apparently they are made out of compressed seaweed. I stripped the head out of one of them. Then for some reason, I put the first screw back in. I finally got the second one out with a star socket. By then I had forgotten that I put the first screw back in, so when I tried to lift the W, I broke that tab off. :blink: :angry: Completely my fault for that one. Anyway, I finally got to the nylon or whatever they are made off screws, and promptly stripped the heads out of two of those. :angry: I had to use the dremel to put a groove in them so I could take them off with a screwdriver. After that, it went pretty smoothly, but now I only have one screw holding my W on. I may try to jbweld the old tab back into service, or I may just replace the W - depends on what it costs and whether or not I can find that tab.

I have changed windshields on several bikes in the past. It's always been about a 5 minute job at best. The first time I did it to my V-Strom, I did it in the parking lot of the dealership where I bought the accessory w/s using the oem toolkit. I changed out a boddies w/s on his FZ6 just a couple of weeks ago, in the parking lot at work. I usually end up with multiple w/s for my bikes, so I will have to ditch the oem hardware for something more robust.

As for the CB itself, I have to say it is everything I hoped it would be. I am very pleased with it. It's basically the same as the stock w/s, just a 2 or 3 inches taller. I still get plenty of air with it all the way down, and with it all the way up the noise and buffeting I had with the oem w/s is greatly reduced. I just needed the air stream to be a little higher. It gets just enough of the top of my helmet that I get some cooling air circulating in My Shoe1 RF1100. The downside is that it gets a bit stuffy in the helmet pretty quick - but that is easily remedied by dropping the w/s just a bit. :rolleyes:

so I will have to ditch the oem hardware for something more robust.
You might want to rethink that with the plastic windshield screws. They are plastic for a reason. When your body goes flying through that windshield in a get off, you'll be really glad that the screws bust off and allow the windshield to get out of your way. The alternative involves lexan slicing up your body. :angry2: Your choice. ;)

I'm still on my original plastic screws on my 07 that I've ridden for 63,000 miles and numerous windshield swaps (a minimum of twice each year). The key is to be very gentle when tightening them puppies - I only use fingertips on the screwdriver. Never had one loosen up either, even with a Vstream shield at 145mph (on a closed course with a professional rider on board of course :p ).

yeah I figured that's why they used the plastic screws - so they would give in the event of a sudden impact. btdt, don't care to repeat that experience - done with an amateur rider, of course.

I'm with Harald. My windshield has been swapped out so many times I couldn't count. I think sometimes I change out the screen just because it's one thing I can do :lol: I find it to be very simple and recently changed out the nylon screws with some I purchased in bulk of 100 for like $10. As luck would have it, I finally overtorqued one and broke off the head. No problem, pulled one out of my supply and now I'm down to 92 nylon screws in my inventory. :D

BTW - in all of my times of swapping out screens I have never found one screw to be loose, in the screen that is. My head, now that's a different story. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

There is an easier way to remove the windscreen, however it involves dropping the bike from off the sidestand onto a wall about 3 feet away. Ripped mine off in about 3 seconds...
Now THAT was funny!!

--G
<snip> I didn't have any problem seeing them, but apparently they are made out of compressed seaweed. I stripped the head out of one of them... I may just replace the W - depends on what it costs and whether or not I can find that tab.
That's one reason I suggested changing out the screws. There are several screws / bolts on the FJR that are very soft...unfortunately you found the first two of them. The next two hold down the front of the tank, and those are a bitch to remove with stripped heads... Change'em at your first opportunity, if not sooner.

For replacing the *W*, try Cycle Parts Warehouse or another on-line parts house. The '12s aren't listed, but the '06 part is $64.

Have fun!

--G

You might want to rethink that with the plastic windshield screws. They are plastic for a reason. When your body goes flying through that windshield in a get off, you'll be really glad that the screws bust off and allow the windshield to get out of your way. The alternative involves lexan slicing up your body. :angry2: Your choice. ;)

A fuking joke if you ask me.. NHTSB mandate (from what I gather) is the reason for this POS redundant system.. The fuking nuts that theses plastic lifesavers screw into will pull out if a body happened to contact the lexan on the way by..

Personally??

I would rather the damned thing was solid mounted as I'd rather bounce off the screen back into the saddle in the event of a low speed mishap. At high speed the damned things ain't gonna do much but speed me exit. It's a bullshit line of reasoning dude..

Damned Gumment retards that ride Hardleys anyway. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:

A fuking joke if you ask me.. NHTSB mandate (from what I gather) is the reason for this POS redundant system.. The fuking nuts that theses plastic lifesavers screw into will pull out if a body happened to contact the lexan on the way by..

Personally??

I would rather the damned thing was solid mounted as I'd rather bounce off the screen back into the saddle in the event of a low speed mishap. At high speed the damned things ain't gonna do much but speed me exit. It's a bullshit line of reasoning dude..

Damned Gumment retards that ride Hardleys anyway. :glare:
You're just saying that because you don't have to worry about your balls getting ripped off by the windshield. Some of us were allowed to keep our boys by our wives, so we want to make sure they don't get damaged. :p

I'm with Harald. My windshield has been swapped out so many times I couldn't count. I think sometimes I change out the screen just because it's one thing I can do :lol: I find it to be very simple and recently changed out the nylon screws with some I purchased in bulk of 100 for like $10. As luck would have it, I finally overtorqued one and broke off the head. No problem, pulled one out of my supply and now I'm down to 92 nylon screws in my inventory. :D

BTW - in all of my times of swapping out screens I have never found one screw to be loose, in the screen that is. My head, now that's a different story. :unsure:

did you buy the nylon screws from the dealer?

did you buy the nylon screws from the dealer?
Nope. bought them from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com)

1 92492A328 1 Pack Metric Nylon Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw, Black, M5 Size, 20 Mm Length, 0.8 Mm Pitch $8.17 plus $4.60 shipping. 100 per pack.

Now, keep in mind, the head of the screw is not identical and the length of the screw seems a little longer, but it's behind the W and the length difference is negligible, maybe 1/4 inch, if that. I replaced all of the screws with my new ones last time I changed the screen.