Replace/fix broken saddle bag lock tab ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Further

Reaction score
Just discovered a broken plastic lock tab on one of my '08 bags. That's the small "L" shaped tab that the locks' pivoting metal piece sits behind when engaged by your key. Never paid much attention before, but it's surprisingly insubstantial. The tab is part of, and rises up from a plastic bracket that's attached to the bag itself with 3 rivets.

At first I thought I might have brought this on myself by overpacking the bag and having to force the bag closed in order to engage the lock. But as I study the mechanism, it seems to me that the sort of pressure exerted by overpacking the bag would not really apply pressure to the plastic tab. I'd think the only way to brake this tab would be to pry up on the lock "flap". So now I'm thinking someone was tampering with my bag. I park in an apartment ground-floor garage that has some history with "jackings" of various types.

In any event, I'm dreading the possibility that for want of a little plastic tab I might have to replace a $500 bag. Ouch !!

So two questions to anyone who might have some experience with this. First, has anyone else had this problem? and second, is the riveted plastic bracket which the tab is part of available as a separate part? If so, I see that 2 of the rivets are pretty accessible, but the back one is somewhat hidden. Is it stupid to expect I could get at that 3rd rivet to replace this thing?

If Yamaha would have done the proper thing and made that bracket out of steel in the first place, (it IS a SECURITY lock after all),, I wouldn't be facing this dilemma most likely.

Would sure like some advice on this. The Rock Strap holding my bag lid closed isn't really a good fashion statement, ya know?

Don't think Yammi will supply spares. If you think it's possible to replace with another, consider getting someone to supply you with a trashed bag as a donor. Should be a few knocking around (all years have the same mechanism).

So two questions to anyone who might have some experience with this. First, has anyone else had this problem? and second, is the riveted plastic bracket which the tab is part of available as a separate part?
Try looking at the fiche yourself. I don't see that part as separate. I don't remember that part being talked about much (if any) over the years.

If Yamaha would have done the proper thing and made that bracket out of steel in the first place, (it IS a SECURITY lock after all),, I wouldn't be facing this dilemma most likely.
Seems like supposition to me. Assuming that piece was metal and would stop a break-in without a failure...how about other other parts and how far do you go to make it totally "SECURE" to cost. If anything it would seem that it did do it's job if somebody was trying to tamper with it...you didn't have your contents stolen.

Concur with mcatrophy. Try finding a broken bag to experiment with. (Sorry, I threw mine away after my wreck with the broken mounting tabs).

Or buy a used bag for probably signficantly less than $500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link to the fiche, Ignacio. Looks like no part available.

"...it would seem that it did do it's job if somebody was trying to tamper with it...you didn't have your contents stolen."

Actually it DIDN'T do it's job. Nothing stolen because it was empty except for some maps and glove liners. The tab broke/cracked in such a way that it does allow the lock flap to lift w/o a key present, though it will keep the bag closed when relocked. I have the Rock Strap on it because it's too weak to be trusted to hold during riding. I would NEVER trust these locks to be tamper-proof again if left in a place where a thief might have an easy time of it. I think more attempts aren't made because they LOOK like they might be stronger than they actually are. Word to the wise.

Canadian FJR, I'll try to get a good photo of the bracket and send it to you. Do you have a trashed bag with a good lock?

Actually it DIDN'T do it's job. Nothing stolen because it was empty except for some maps and glove liners. The tab broke/cracked in such a way that it does allow the lock flap to lift w/o a key present, though it will keep the bag closed when relocked. ...... I would NEVER trust these locks to be tamper-proof again if left in a place where a thief might have an easy time of it. I think more attempts aren't made because they LOOK like they might be stronger than they actually are. Word to the wise.
So, you're assuming that if it was tampered with (that seems to still be speculative IMO...I've seen one or two well-intentioned people snap them before) that a ne'er-do-well opened it up, was bummed to find nothing of worth to steal, and then surreptitiously closed it again to make it look like it wasn't tampered with? Then hope to break in again in the future when something of value was in there? And also only break one bag?

Color me skeptical....

I also think your assumption that sidecases are or should be "tamper-proof" is unrealistic. They're designed to be tamper-resistant to about the right price point IMO. I'd hate to think what price point and/or weight they'd be if they were miniature safes.....what you'd have to do do the cast subframe to keep them attached.

Good on you Canadian FJR!

And I don't see a picture of exactly what broke, but is a JB Weld route out of the question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm "assuming" it was tampered with. I think it's a safe assumption. It seems very less likely it was broken any other way I can think of. There are small marks that could have been made with a screwdriver. I've also had unlocked padlocks hanging off my Pelican topcase stolen from the bike. There have been several bicycles stolen from this garage. And reclosing the case after looking through it would mean it could be days or weeks before the theft attempt was noticed and video footage reviewed. I'm unclear why you think this is so far fetched? And it seems odd to me to have to defend my opinion. Oh well...

I don't expect these cases to be impenetrable. But as it stands, these cases could probably be opened by any 10 y\o with a screwdriver and 15 seconds of spare time. And my guess is, Yamaha, with an ounce of forethought, could have spent an extra 19 cents on a steel bracket instead of a plastic one and made these cases 10 times more secure, while only adding 2 ounces to the bikes' weight. I think of that as a no-brainer, not an unacceptable compromise.

I"d be really surprised if JB Weld could even begin to fix this. Currently I'm trying to think of a McGiver for this, rather than replacing the plastic bracket. Maybe drilling through the case and a 1/4" bolt with a bend at the top to accommodate the pivoting lock tab.