Replacement Fairing - 86 NightHawk 700s guidance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Ok, so not too long ago - I revived my almost mint condition bike to lend to a friend - so he could get his bike license and have a good starter bike...

All worked out well, and everything was great and just before winter here - he decides to get hammered and felt it would be a good idea to take it out into the field where there was a small party going on.

Needless to say - he put in down and the small fairing got mangled... Pretty much everything is in perfect shape but that - low speed drop.... His foot took a nasty gash....

I am pretty pissed at myself as I rarely ever lend out my toys like this, cause they always come back buggered up....

I really just want to beat his ass, :assassin: :angry: but its a gf of mines bf.... she has been a family friend for a long time, and she said it will be taken care of...

So anywho.... I could use some ideas as to the best way to get a replacement part - fairing & windscreen - RED, White & Blue model...

Suggestions would be very helpful...

I checked ebay so far, but so far just some nasty looking stuff on there...

I am looking to get it going for my woman to use as a good starter bike, before she moves on to what she will be riding....

Wow...that stinks. Certainly no need to start the lecture on how one should never loan out this or that...

I'd start looking at these places if I were you. I'm sure you'll get advice more specific to your needs.

Clicky 1 or Clicky2

Best of luck and when you get everything fixed, post some pics. Those are wonderful bikes...

Cheers,

Joe

Wow...that stinks. Certainly no need to start the lecture on how one should never loan out this or that...
I'd start looking at these places if I were you. I'm sure you'll get advice more specific to your needs.

Clicky 1 or Clicky2

Best of luck and when you get everything fixed, post some pics. Those are wonderful bikes...

Cheers,

Joe
yes - very sad. I had thought he would be more responsible, but alas I am proven wrong once again.

Totally lose all faith in mankind and their respect for other peoples property.

I was hoping to do this without breakin the bank.

I saw these new online for $600.00 fairing, and $150.00 for just the windscreen.

Sad but they are pretty much collectors items at this point.

Well here are some pics of the toys in the barn...

SDC10300.jpg

SDC10299.jpg

SDC10297.jpg

Hope to find a decent fairing replacement and not have to buy new.....

Or send him a bill and some suggested websites to see if he can beat any prices you've found. Er...uhm...you understand....all in the spirit of saving him money to restore the bike he damaged. ;)

Or send him a bill and some suggested websites to see if he can beat any prices you've found. Er...uhm...you understand....all in the spirit of saving him money to restore the bike he damaged. ;)

I'm not sure that the money is an object - its the GF of mine that is going to pay for the damages, she feels bad - and I'm just trying to lessen the blow on her as this guy has been unfortunately laid off. Truly its an object - and she had absolutely no control of the situation being out of town... Life long friend... its a tough situation - trying not to be a total jerk...

AAhhhhhh....the dynamics of interpersonal relationships...I understand the situation. Good luck on finding the part.

Every once in a while I get to a part of my area that has several motorcycle wrecking yards. I'll put a note in my lunch box to remind myself. Even if you had to paint the part(or have it painted), just finding the tupperware would be a good thing.

Edit: That piece might be repairable. Is it fiberglass or molded plastic? Several on the forum have repaired FJR nose cowling with the new "plastic weld" products.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAhhhhhh....the dynamics of interpersonal relationships...I understand the situation. Good luck on finding the part.
Every once in a while I get to a part of my area that has several motorcycle wrecking yards. I'll put a note in my lunch box to remind myself. Even if you had to paint the part(or have it painted), just finding the tupperware would be a good thing.

Edit: That piece might be repairable. Is it fiberglass or molded plastic? Several on the forum have repaired FJR nose cowling with the new "plastic weld" products.

Yes, Yes.... the dynamics as it may be... sad enough to say....

I contemplated the repairability aspect, but honestly - I'm just not seeing it turning out as well as a fresh piece, be it new or used and repainted....

Appreciate you or anyone keeping their eyes peeled for a piece for replacement - a finders fee certainly can be arranged in appreciation for those efforts...

I will obviously continue my search for same said piece....

Just trying to preserve the sanctity of the original artifact - the Lovely and timelessness of a strikingly good looking NightHawk S

Well, I guess I lucked out.... Found a guy on ebay that has a few boxes of parts including a fairing in perfect shape & windscreen as well as a stupid amount of other parts to be included for $130... just put it up and I snatched it...

Gotta be painted but def worth the find... :)

Listed items included... NICE !! SCORE !!!

Honda CB700SC (Nighthawk 700s) Parts Package...
1. Fairing is in Very Good Condition. It has Not been altered in any way. NO Cracks, No Roadrash, No Scrapes. Good Solid piece. It has been sanded as it was being prepped for a project that fell through. Finish prepping it, paint it and it's good to go. Hard to find 'em anymore without being beat up and it's here at an excellent price.

2. Windshield is in Good Condition - A Good polishing and buffing should bring it up nicely.

3. Front Fender is Very Good. No Scrapes, No cracks, No Roadrash. It too has been sanded & prepped for the project that fell through.

4. Left Side Cover - Very Good Condition. It has been sanded and prepped. ALL mounting tabs are solidly intact. No Scrapes, No Cracks, No Roadrash. Hard to find with all tabs intact.

5. GrabRail - It has been taken apart for ease of packing - Good useable piece.

6. Oil Pan & Line, The pan is near New, No scrapes, No roadrash, No cracks

7. Fuse Box, Cover and wiring and mounting hardware, Very Good.

8. Voltage regulator - '86 all Black Model, Tested and fully working.

9. Fork Leg Lowers - straight, Should be repainted, Includes anti dive and dial.

10. 2 front brake rotors straight, 4.45 & 4.55mm. Honda says minimum of 4mm is good.

11. '86 Owners Manual, New in wrapper

12. Upper Tree - straight, excellent condition

13. Front Fender spoiler - Excellent

14. Solenoid & Battery Cable Tested, working condition

15. Shifter - Excellent, needs new rubber toe pad.

Well, I guess I lucked out.... Found a guy on ebay that has a few boxes of parts including a fairing in perfect shape & windscreen as well as a stupid amount of other parts to be included for $130... just put it up and I snatched it...
Gotta be painted but def worth the find... :)

Listed items included... NICE !! SCORE !!!
Fantastic...that is great news. Of course you'll have to post pics for us once it's all back together.

Definitely want to see the finished product when you get her gussied up. Had an 84 Nighthawk many years ago (first bike I owned, around 1988)) and loved it. Always liked the red-white-blue scheme better than my blue one, but a great-looking bike either way.

And hop over to Nighthawk-Forums.com as it was suggested before if you haven't already. I'm a mod over there and can vouch that there are plenty of people willing to help. The RWB model 700s is a sweet looking bike. I know there are at least a couple people. I had two Nigthawks before upgrading to the FJR. But the 700s has always been one of my favorites.

Thanks guys...

And hop over to Nighthawk-Forums.com as it was suggested before if you haven't already. I'm a mod over there and can vouch that there are plenty of people willing to help. The RWB model 700s is a sweet looking bike. I know there are at least a couple people. I had two Nigthawks before upgrading to the FJR. But the 700s has always been one of my favorites.

I'll def head over there and sign up... I love this bike as a quick jaunt machine - especially if its hot out...

I'll obviously have a number of items coming with the fairing that I have no need for, so I'll be getting rid of them on the cheap to serve the many and help others out...

Pretty sure that I still have a perfect alternator cover if you need it. pm me if so.