Replacement rear shock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack G

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the middle of a 75,000 mi FJR refurbishing. The entire list follows the shock question and I will be posting pics when I make time but right now I am interested in getting some feedback on rear shock selection.

I have spoken with GP Suspension and Ohlins.

GP has two options, one at $795.00 and the other at $995.00. Difference being on the more expensive model you can adjust ride height as well as compression and dampening. In addition it has an external reservoir vs internal.

Ohlins has the YA056 at $648.00 and the YA342 at $1338.00. Again, difference with the more expensive one is you can adjust compression dampening externally.

Pricey upgrade any way you cut it so I was curious what equipment those of you who have upgraded your rear shock have used.

I put most of my miles on myself but it not unusual for me to have a passenger or a passenger and full sidebags and topcase. At times, camping gear in addition. So I really like the ability to make adjustments easily and externally.

Feedback?

Stuff I'm doing....

Valve Adjustment (completed: at 75000 mi, 15 of 16 in spec, 1 was .05mm tight.)

Throttle body synch

Remove PAIR system and cap w/Wynpro caps

Rebuild front shocks

Install tapered bearings in steering head column

Replace all coolant hoses

Install new style cam chain tensioner

Found corroded starter relay - replace

Ignition switch repaired previously

New thermostat

New plugs and wires

Install no cut sliders

Install PDM 60 power distribution module

Install Air Cannon horn

New fiber clutch plates

New seals in swingarm

New rear shock

Hyperlite license plate bracket

I had GP Suspension (now in KFG Racing Auburn Wa) install a Penske shock in the back and the GP Suspension front fork valves and springs about one year ago. Cost me about 1750 and worth every darn penny. If you do the rear to the front. My set up makes the bike much more responsive rather than mushy in all situations. It is simply awesome - you can feel the difference in 5 or fewer turns. Dead serious.

^+1

I installed the AK-20 cartridge kit front, and Penske 8983 rear shock from Traxxion. The FJR already handled better than any of my previous rides, (granted, they were all old skool 70s tube frame jobs, such as a '78 XS-11)...

The improvement in responsiveness and ride from FJR stock is phenomenal.

Not sure what the $795 rear shock option is from GP (Penske 8900FP or E?). I'll assume that their $995 option is the Penske 8983 shock, which is double adjustable for compression and rebound damping, and preload (of course).

The Ohlins YA056 is a step down from the Penske 8983 in that it has a single adjuster that handles both compression and rebound in tandem, like the stock shock does. It is the equivalent of an 8900E. One advantgage of an 8900E is that it can later be upgraded by adding a remote reservoir (with compression damping adjuster) in the future if you wanted. Not sure if you can do that with the YA056

The Ohlins YA342-46PCRS has the piggyback reservoir and provides separate compression and rebound adjusters, but what makes it better that the Penske is the remote hydraulic preload adjuster.

The Penske 8983 is a great shock (I have one) especially if you always ride with the same weight load, but the Ohlins makes it very easy to adjust the preload if you sometimes ride solo and sometimes ride 2-up.

Note that any of these shocks can be adjusted for length (ride height) somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be worth it to look at RaceTech's offerings as well. I installed their goods up front and rear shock. Very happy with it!

Thank you all for the feedback. I thought the more expensive Penske rear shock had remote preload adjustment. Can't find my notes from the phone conversation. I'll call GP Monday and find out more. I have been happy with the FJR once I got all my adjustments dialed in so it will an experience to see the difference.