Replacing headlamp bulbs on Gen III?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard (or read somewhere) they're non-replaceable.
Gotta get a red 2014ES to get a Gen III with replaceable headlight bulbs.
Replace with almost any H4 bulb.

FWIW, my current preference is . . . PIAA Super Plasma GT-X (60/55w draw - 135/125w equivalent output)

Shuey

Philips X-treme Vision H4 bulbs from powerbulbs.com. I have used Powerbulbs.com for several years and usually find they have the best prices and quickest shipping to Seattle. I tried the Sylvania Ultra Stars a couple of times and always experienced a pretty short bulb life and little increase in the amount of light on the road. Looked brighter but didn't light the road up much better than stock. The Philips bulbs put more light on the road in my experience and have a long life.

I tried the original OSRAM Nightbreaker bulbs and really liked the extra light, but they only lasted about a year of heavy use. When shopping for replacements, I noticed they had changed the design and were calling them Nightbreaker PLUS (PLUS indicating longer life). That set is still running over 2 years later, so they've lived up to the PLUS reputation. Nice and bright like the originals too, without that obnoxious blue tinting that just annoys other drivers without actually giving you more light.

BTW, there's a great article on those blue bulbs at https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html .