Rider Down North Georgia- Forum Member?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
69 year old FJR rider reported down in North Georgia near Lake Lanier. Pretty serious wreck. Anyone know the rider? Got to be in a hospital nearby.

NORTH FORSYTH -- A 69-year-old man from Cumming sustained what were described as critical injuries Saturday night after his motorcycle crashed near Lake Lanier in northeast Forsyth.

The man was reportedly traveling west on Browns Bridge Road (Hwy. 369) about 10:22 p.m. July 16 when his 2006 Yamaha FJR1300 left the roadway and entered the shoulder as he attempted to negotiate a curve, according to Deputy Epifanio Rodriguez, a spokesman for the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office. His motorcycle fell down an embankment and continued west “through the shoulder before it began to overturn, ejecting the rider from his seat.”

The bike continued west, sliding across Cains Cove Road, which is just west of the Hwy. 369 bridge over Six Mile Creek. It came to a rest in the wood line about 40 feet north of Hwy. 369.

The man was transported to Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville, where he was last listed in critical condition in the intensive care unit.

A crash investigations unit is looking into the incident. The sheriff’s office and fire department responded to the scene.

No other vehicles were involved

Last edited by a moderator:
Rambler is from that general area. I've PM'd him and sent a separate email asking if he's OK.

Don't know of any other members in north metro.

<edit 5 mins later> Didn't catch this detail during my first read-through: "A 69-year-old man from Cumming ..." Probably isn't Rambler; I think he's younger than 50.

That's barely a curve. I'm wondering if he was avoiding a collision with an oncoming vehicle or animal. It is 55mph thru there..

It isn't Rambler. He emailed. Thought of another possibile member and PM'd. He's not 69 years old either -- I don't think.

Not smithpa86, either. Spoke to him by phone -- but didn't ask if he's 69. He only knows one other FJR rider up that way, and SHE lives in Dahlonega.

As expected, the hospital receptionist wouldn't tell me anything without the name of the patient. She said, quite politely, that the name must be provided even if I show up in person. All I know are Forum screen names anyway, so I'm at a dead end.

Thoughts and prayers for him.

eflyguy posted: That's barely a curve. I'm wondering if he was avoiding a collision with an oncoming vehicle or animal. It is 55mph thru there..
Saturday night, 10:30? Could have been any number of things.

I will say this: I hope I'm still riding an FJR at age 69, and I hope I have the independence to ride it through the countryside at 10:30 pm on Saturday nights.

Precisely. Just saying "failed to negotiate a curve" is misleading, considering the curves that road actually has..

It isn't Rambler. He emailed. Thought of another possibile member and PM'd. He's not 69 years old either -- I don't think.
Not smithpa86, either. Spoke to him by phone -- but didn't ask if he's 69. He only knows one other FJR rider up that way, and SHE lives in Dahlonega.

As expected, the hospital receptionist wouldn't tell me anything without the name of the patient. She said, quite politely, that the name must be provided even if I show up in person. All I know are Forum screen names anyway, so I'm at a dead end.

Thoughts and prayers for him.
Thanks so much for reaching out and checking on me. Much appreciated!

From the map, and having used that road before, it isn't a road/curve that can force an error. Must be some other mitigating factors that led to this unfortunate event.

In any case, thoughts and prayers for the rider.

Capture.png

eflyguy posted: That's barely a curve. I'm wondering if he was avoiding a collision with an oncoming vehicle or animal. It is 55mph thru there..
Saturday night, 10:30? Could have been any number of things.

I will say this: I hope I'm still riding an FJR at age 69, and I hope I have the independence to ride it through the countryside at 10:30 pm on Saturday nights.
Hey, watch it. I represent that remark :)

RichDoyle: no disrespect intended; in fact I was trying to pay much respect. A lot of 70-year-old men I know couldn't get an FJR off the side stand.

I hope he makes it through ok. Also, hope we can find out what happened, as it sounds like he might have been run off the road. I'll admit, riding backroads in the dark makes me nervous.

RichDoyle: no disrespect intended; in fact I was trying to pay much respect. A lot of 70-year-old men I know couldn't get an FJR off the side stand.
69 doesn't seem all that old.

Still, even at 65 there are many roads that I would have ridden at 10:30 pm that I won't go near after dark now.

It isn't so much that I feel that my own skills are diminished ... it is that there are too many other crazy people out, and the later it gets, the more impaired many of them seem.

And then there is the issue of the milling deer wandering around that makes outrunning your headlights an even greater danger than you might realize.

I used to ride TN 96 from I-40 mile marker 268, across the Center Hill dam, and on down to Liberty late, but something about getting close to actually retiring gives one pause. I won't do that any more. Not even on a supermoto. The road's still dangerous in daylight, but dark just pushes it to the edge, and late dark pushes it off the edge. Better the road than the rider.

I sure hope this fellow is able to recover from his injuries. 69 is not that old.

I have not ridden after dark ever since my laser eye surgery. It became obvious that my night vision was not what it should be to ride safely.

This is also one more reason I don't attempt any long distance riding since all my riding takes place during daylight hours.

Living in the Great White North other than for the months of June and July that limits your riding to three hours a day.