RIder keeps dropping their bike.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess they are just having a problem with balance when stopped/stopping. They have taked the MSF course ad are not being pushed into it but doing it because they love it.Thanks for all the suggestions, maybe they just need to stick with a smaller bike for now.

Was this a problem during the safety course? If not, perhaps some lowering links would help things. At least until confidence is built up.

They're not treating it like a bicycle, are they? Some folkes with really high bike seats will have to lean when they stop to put a foot down, may not even be realizing it.
Bit different with 650# motosickle

Then there's the "don't stop while turning" rule.

Otherwise, as has been said, eyes up, etc. Motorcyclists cannot watch their own bike while riding it. Not even in the windows they ride by. Bad things happen.
I'd be willing to bet that it's a lady, and that she's looking down to see where to put her feet.

And to see where the bike is when it's stopped.

Guys generally have a "charge ahead" attitude, but ladies have gotten used to picking up the kid's toys and the dirty socks. And tripping and falling hurt. So they look down.

I'd also bet they're having problems with turns and high speeds.

Some people just can't figure out that by the time they look down to see where they are, they've already gone past where they were.

Oh, one more thing... if they're not using the front and rear brakes together... just or mostly the rear, the bike won't stop where they think it should, they'll panic and grab the front, and by default, tweak the front wheel a bit... and go down.

LOOK UP. repeat. forever.

It's actually hard for some people to do. One thing to check is to ride while they drive a cage. I used to ask my driver's ed students how many vehicles were ahead of them. Got some interesting answers, but it made a point.

Look up, chin up. Not just eyes up... you can keep you head down and think your eyes are up. Not even close. Chin up works better.

Hope something someone suggested helps.

mary
When I took the MSF course to get the insurance discount in 2005, there was a couple enrolled together. The husband was an over the road trucker. Big tough guy. They'd bought a gigantic H-D with the intention of touring together, and neither one had ever owned or ridden a motorcycle.

The wife picked it up in no time and had no trouble with any aspect of the class. The husband had a LOT of trouble with everything. There is NO WAY he was going to pilot two people on an 800 pound behemoth from the motor company.

There was also a small woman, perhaps 4' 10" tall, in the class. She was also a novice. She had bought a pair of H-Ds as a surprise gift to her significant other, and she wanted to be able to ride hers. She struggled, but did better than the husband of the couple I mentioned.

I don't think you can really generalize. In fact, I would expect that age might be a bigger factor than gender, although you can't generalize about this either.

My wife took the MSF course in 2006, and washed out for the very reason of the thread. She is of small stature, and she had great fun until they stuck her in the rider's seat. It did not take long before she decided that it wasn't her cup of tea. Too much to think about for an older person who never thought about it before.

Is this a "come to stop using only the front brake with the feet off the pegs" scenario? Too much front brake that compresses the fork then pops up when stopped and the slightly turned wheel causes a lean and it falls over? Then they need a lesson in releasing the front brake smoothly and coming to a stop using the rear brake.
Or BRC + ERC.
That's the classic dropped bike scenario I see in the classes I teach, eyes are down looking at the stop line, not bracing with the knees to stop sliding forward during braking and raised wrist positions are also causes we look for.

I would recommend an ERC for a couple of reasons,

First the MSF Gear up programs we teach in Ottawa are done on supplied 125 and 250cc bikes, there is nothing like riding the same exercises on your bike.

The second, if this person is a relative or a friend then the relationship can really complicate the dynamics between the instructor and student, if we can, we even split family members into separate classes (especially husband & wife).

Everyone messes up when learning to ride, much better to do so anomalously than in front of friends and family.

An upset student is even more likely to compound small mistakes into ones which may put then off riding forever.

Chris

You tell them to put their feet down?
Gawds...I damn near fell outta my chair on that one. :rofl:

I would have them "practice" on the bike while it's stationary and shut off. Have them get to the point where they can let it lean from one side to the other with the handle bars straight initially then working up to any angle. After they're comfortable with this then begin to roll it slowly around just using their feet to propel it. It sounds like the problem is in the transition from rolling to stopped. Find a level spot somewhere in a mall parking lot or something and get them to do some simple drills like this working up to mastering the transition. Be there to help with the bike too so they learn and don't drop it or get discouraged.

Good luck.

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, simply bring your own ground crew along with you:

IMG_4911sm.jpg

IMG_4911sm.jpg
:rofl: Nice !!! Even better when they're GOOD LOOKIN' --- like my crew are :D
I dunno, Mary Ellen, but it looks to me like they are BOWING to the arrival of Your Royal Highness :Rkingsmiley: or there's a lot of :man_in_love: or both!

IMG_4911sm.jpg
:rofl: Nice !!! Even better when they're GOOD LOOKIN' --- like my crew are :D
I dunno, Mary Ellen, but it looks to me like they are BOWING to the arrival of Your Royal Highness :Rkingsmiley: or there's a lot of :man_in_love: or both!
Nah, Mike. I WISH it had been like that. In fact, they were laughing WITH me, not AT me :p

I think ..... :blink: .....

This was my arrival back from our La Mauricie National Park ride on Day 2 (which was absolutely stupid FUN!!!!!). My arrival on Day 1 was a little more conspicuous. Combination of a fully loaded FJR, gravel parking lot on a grade, kind of a sharp lefthand turn from the downhill side of said grade ..... :huh: ..... have I mentioned: "Pegs are for pussies" ?!

My post was not to cut down ladies.. since I is one<G>

But generally we're taught to "be careful" and "look where you're going"..which in normal daily life, means to look sorta at the ground to see what's there.

So many ladies I've talked to in different forums and in person, said they also have a hard time "looking up", and have to work hard at it.

However, one of of redeeming faults is that we do try very hard to listen to instructions. Granted, there are some people that will never be able to ride, and should not even drive, but...

No idea about the trucker guy, he may have thot he knew enuf to not listen, or he may simply not be able to ride. there are some pssp that are totally uncoordinated.

Kudos to his wife tho.

And riding isn't for everyone. I taught driver's ed for a few years. The most frequent comment the kids said was "Wow..It's not at all like being a passenger!"

Translated to bikes, it can really be scary.

Take care.

Mary

And riding isn't for everyone. I taught driver's ed for a few years. The most frequent comment the kids said was "Wow..It's not at all like being a passenger!"Translated to bikes, it can really be scary.

Take care.

Mary
I was a RiderCoach with the MSF for a little while, and I totally agree. Riding isn't for everyone. Sure, good instruction and lots of practice will help but there are a few who haven't a clue and couldn't buy one if they tried.

One dear, sweet lady claimed to have ridden a famous, American made cruiser in her youth. Now, a few years down the road. she wanted to relive the experience. During the classroom session, we went over the motorcycle controls but that didn't quite do it for her. The training bike was 'broken' because when you turned the key it refused to start. Every single time. (Worked perfectly when the starter was pressed). The lady then went on to struggle through the exercises, with gravity challenging her at every turn. She muscled that bike back to upright several times, and dropped it several more. Sadly for her, she was unable to pass the evaluation. I believe she even got a record number of points against her.

To her credit, she did eventually pass and was able to ride that brand new 900lb or whatever cruiser, with a legal license.

OP is this still an issue? Just askin'

I really don't get it...??? :huh:

I'm a lazy dude sort of... (maybe I don't like doing unnecessary work when I don't have to, Mr. Efficiency) anyway, I always try to keep any load, wheel barrel, hand cart, motorcycle, etc at the optimum balance point that is of course, neutral. I don't want to carry a burden or heavy load so I always keep it in the sweet spot or balance point where it won't go forward or backward or side to side. Keep it so you use the least energy to keep it upright.

OK, carry on... :blink: