Riding to Russell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome write up. It's good to see the process since I just got mine back from them. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit to put some miles on it...

Regarding paying more for ride in service, I think I get it. My seat is there right now getting built. Kim tells me it will take 2weeks to build. So my guess is that when you send in a seat, they can work the different steps to their efficiency advantage. When you do ride in service, they have to dedicate the time to you all on that day, taking away the efficiency choices they could make otherwise. Not to mention the time they would lose if I was there chatting them up and being a general pest. If I had the time though, I would have gladly paid to use the one day, ride in service.

Regarding paying more for ride in service, I think I get it. My seat is there right now getting built. Kim tells me it will take 2weeks to build. So my guess is that when you send in a seat, they can work the different steps to their efficiency advantage. When you do ride in service, they have to dedicate the time to you all on that day, taking away the efficiency choices they could make otherwise.
Plus they gotta talk to you and sh*t and pose for pictures... ;)

Very interesting, thanks for the report. I know I sure enjoy my Russell saddle, and it's neat to now know a little about some of the manufacturing process, and the folks who work there!

I have 2 ride-ins scheduled in June for a seat for my "new to me" 'wing and updating my wife's Vstar 1300 seat. One of the reasons for the additional charge is a seat builder and seamstress is committed to finish the ride-in seat ahead of "normal production".

Last edited by a moderator: