Riding Wolf Creek Pass in November

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from a ride, and it did not include WCP. And it didn't include Taos, either. Not that I didn't try...

I rode in drizzle from DFW toward Wichita Falls, where it turned into a serious downpour. I have a good rainsuit, and not a drop got to me. Then it turned to sunshine and I stopped in Clayton, NM. Sunday I checked the weather, and it was 37 in Taos, and supposed to get to 41. Well over freezing, all is good. Then I started on the way. I got onto NM Hiway 64 in Cimarron and it started snowing. That's ok! It's well above freezing! Snow in the air does not matter! Then, as I rode up the pass, I noticed a little patch of ice. Then another. More. A 'patch' that was completely across the road. Hmmm. Time to turn around.

I headed back and got on I25 and headed for ABQ. And it was snowing. Hard. I checked gas, used the GPS to find a gas station. One 10 miles behind. One 45 miles ahead. I've got about 30 miles of range. Turn around again. While pumping in Springer, NM, it was snowing so hard I could hardly see across the street. Hmmm. TIme for a hotel.

Got one, got online to cancel my hotel reservation in Farmington, and looked out the window. No Snow. Check the weather channel - it's 48 in ABQ, Above freezing all along the route. I get a very nice lady at the hotel (Oasis Motel - very nice people) to let me out of the room for the night. I offered half the cost of the night, but she would not let me. She charged my Credit Card $0.01 for the two hours I was there.

Out on I25, and 30 minutes later it's snowing again. For about 100 miles, it just snowed and wouldn't stop. I got lots of interested looks from the cars going by. But, I'm bundled up - 8 layers on top, rainsuit on the outside, Electric vest under, new battery heated gloves keeping me toasty - Folks, I was NOT cold. Warm, even! It finally cleared up - bright New Mexico sunshine just about Santa Fe.

And the next day was clear in ABQ and iffy in Farmington. So, I just punted. Took a backroad from ABQ through Ruidoso and went to spend Thanksgiving in El Paso. Not as much riding as I wanted, but lots of really good 'real' mexican food - not the Tex-Mex I'm used to.

1945 miles round trip. 84,000 on the bike now. I really want to get 100K - and then a new FJR.

I had a great trip, but left a lot of roads untouched. I've been told I should try this trip in September. Maybe...

My opinion? Wise decision, and good story.

Photos? I like snow .... on ski runs and in photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . but man, and, you're from Texas right?

I'd re-evaluate your trip and postpone it till the ice and snow have long been melted. Your body parts may thank you big time.
rofl.gif

I've been watching this thread because, in what seems like another lifetime long ago, I lived and rode in Colorado - Boulder and Steamboat Springs. While in the latter, I owned a '75 Kawasaki Z-1 900 that got put away in October. My first reaction to the questions was "huh?", and I agree with what the Coloradans on board have said about Colorado mountain roads and passes this late in the year.

But the Texas comment made me recall those years. Colorado mountain resort areas get a LOT of tourism from Texas, mostly hunting, skiing and golf. In a less PC/poorer marketing time, I recall some pretty derogatory radio commentary (humor, I guess) and a couple tee shirts that expressed a native disdain for all things Texan. (I'm a native Californicator, so I just looked on in amusement, concluding that Coloradans resented Texans owning so much of Colorado, not to mention a Super Bowl beating.) Anyway, our forum Coloradans are much more helpful, and I'll just add: don't do it!
. I lived in Texas (Wichita Falls) for 11 years and I have family in California so I feel I can speak up. All you Texans and Californicators are welcome to come here to Colorado to spend your money and hunt the Forest Rats. Just make sure that by the time riding season has come around you have taken your Motor Homes and ATV trailers home.Don't clog up my mountain roads.
smile.png
You are always welcome on your motorcycles, provided you flat-landers know how to ride the mountains. Ever watch the cruiser riders ride to the top of MT. Evans and not get altitude sickness
bad.gif
. (14264 ft) Switch-Backs and no guard rails, Funny to watch them trying to get those things around the switchbacks and not fall off the side of the mountain.

Last edited by a moderator: