Right hand stock muffler can leaks at weld:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Just thought I would seek some info or advice here from my FJR buds about maybe anyone having this issue of a leaking weld or welds. Mine is at the front part of the stock can and I hope it is covered under my Y.E.S.

There is a pin-hole leak that is progressively getting worse and is noticable especially when the air is cold like now. While it is not a major problem it is something that needs addressed. While I am an ex-welder by trade I could repair it with no problem but the finish would be altered and if its covered it should be taken care of right? So any advice or info would be appreciated before I talk to Yama-mama on this. Thanks ahead of time, Painman. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard of any mufflers going bad before, but would imagine it would be covered as long it turns out to be a defect or doesn't obviously look damaged.

Isn't the exhaust part of the emission control system? If not, I suppose the leak is due to corrosion and as such isn't likely to be covered.

However, a bad weld IS a defect. And manufacturing defects are covered by YES.

Ask your friendly dealer.

Thanks for the responses. The can has no damage, never been hit, dropped on it etc. I'm sure its just a pin-hole of the weld and is a fault in the welding process and not due to corrosion. It has the problem where the weld stopped on the bottom area of the can. Even if corrosion was the culpret I would think or hope it would still be covered. It better be at $750.00 a muffler.

And with the internal pressuers of the muffler a pin-hole will continue to worsen over time. I will be contacting my dealer. Thanks again, PM. <><

Latest posts