road to windyridge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for a post early next week for a ride on July 5th for the Volcano or The Day Before Ride. Usually, in the past, they will note Saturday as the first day open, therefore the day before it isn't suppose to be open, but it has allways been open, at least in the last three years. I usually ride up there on the day before.

Ken,

I've been waiting for this note... Count me in.

This ride has become something of an annual event and it looks like I will actually be in town that weekend.

I always look forward to riding up that hill, one of the gems of NW roads.

Lets plan to meet at the Chevron in Washougal... I'll try to keep up with you on the way up!

Just looked and it still isn't declared for next week, but I am planning on Friday the 5th to ride up to Windyridge. All are welcome to come. My rear PR-3 has 9,000 on it and it looks good for another 500. That's what riding in 5th gear and staying below 85 will do for you.

I'll meet you and ride up with you. I might have to scoot back early as it is my B'day and I should show up for dinner...

As for staying in fifth and and under 85... well I'm sure you wouldn't fib.

Ken,

I forgot, we can talk about meeting up at the GP, I have some work to do with the FIM guys and journalists (You met some of them in the stands last year) but I'l be in the turn 4 grand stand for the races as usual. We can chat about it at windy Ridge.

Just looked and it still isn't declared for next week, but I am planning on Friday the 5th to ride up to Windyridge. All are welcome to come. My rear PR-3 has 9,000 on it and it looks good for another 500. That's what riding in 5th gear and staying below 85 will do for you.
I wouldn't trust tires on their last leg on forest service roads.The last bit of tread always seems to go faster for some reason, and those roads tear them up.

I had the same thought some years ago with some PR2's and came home with carcass hanging out on them.

I cant imagine how bad 25 is going to be this year between Randall and the Windy Ridge cut off. Last year was bad this year you might bend a wheel it will be soooooo bad.

Okay. Friday the 5th of July. Windy Ridge. Meet at the Chevron just off hwy 14 in Washougal at 9:00am, leave at 9:30am. Remember you have to get off the hwy early now because there is no stop light. Either round a bout will get you on C street. All are welcome. See you there Victor.

Yahoo. ( and I will run the worn down PR-3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,

Meet up at what time Friday morning?

If you ride fast enough you won't wear out the tires... Because you will be on the edges most of the time.

Wish I could join you guys. I know it would have been fun :) Im actually heading down as your coming up Huckstr, dont forget I still owe you my friend, have a good trip :)

Ty, Sorry you couldn't make it. A bunch of us met in Washougal and stood around complaining about it being overcast. Of course most of us complained about it being too hot just a few days ago... You would think none of us had any experience with NW weather...

despite the low clouds, we took off around 9:30, and headed for Carson and the run up to Windy Ridge. Before we got to the first overlook, the sky cleared completly offering wonderful views of Mt Adams and first glimpses of St Helens. The roads were completely clean and mostly free of gravel, but had the usual frost heaves and pot holes, happily not any worse than last year.

As usual for this early summer ritual ride, Ken led the way at his signature brisk pace. His tires were in no danger of wearing out the middle tread, but there was some danger for the edges. I do this ride at least once a year, and I have never tired either of the roads or the beauty of the area. As much fun as it is to examine the limits of traction on these roads, it is impossible not to stop from time to time just to look around, and we did.

At the top, windy Ridge was living up to it's name. We had to hang on to our bag lunches for fear that they would be blown away.

The ride back down was just as much fun, and just a beautiful from the opposit perspective. I'll be back next year.

Sorry to have missed the ride. But very nice picks, Ken. Did the Carson Loop last weekend, and minus a few rocks below that Mt St Helens viewpoint in your pic, roads were pretty nice.