Roadrunner Roadrunner runs down the road all day..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw.. the best laid plans...

Woke up at 5am to get an early start to beat the heat. Then rolled over and went back to sleep till 6am. Right! Up and at them. Got on the road around 7:30 or so and directly into Little Rock morning rush hour on I40 - DAMMIT IT ALL!

Anyway, finally broke free of it and told the FJR. Go east, and you know what it did... it went east! FJR's are good that way. No way I'd ask my Garmin to do that.

It was comfortable riding until about 10am when the cool vest went on. I stopped for lunch in Burnt Scrotum Alabama and head the best grill cheese samich EVER. The sign said 94F at around 2pm. I managed to cross 4 states today; Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama.

Wow, whose been feeding the Mississippi? Its WAY wider at this end than the other:

IMG_0174.jpg

Rolled directly into Barbers in Leeds. WOW! What a nice looking place. I turned around and got checked into the new Hamptom not 1/4 mile from the Museum/Track. They've got a 1951 Moto Guzzi Dondoliono sitting in the Lobby. MY KINNA PLACE!

IMG_0438.jpg

Turns out this weekend is the AMA Superbike meet. DAMMIT!! and only 250 miles from Knoxville...

About to head out for 'the Best BBQ Chicken in Alabama" - according to a couple of locals at Old Smokies. Tomorrow I plan on spending a full day at Barbers and maybe show then what an FJR with a 100K on it and car tire can do.. I'm gonna make Schwantz my bitch!

WOW.

Just WOW.

I spent a good couple of hours strolling around Barbers Motorcycle Museum and Racetrack. God damn. You guys really know how to present something at the most professional level - I'm totally blown away by the collection and facilities. I arrived around 9:30, only to find the place doesn't open till 10am.

IMG_0440.jpg

Statue out front title 'The Chase' made from 3 separate 3000lb statues cast in stainless steel.

They took some pity on this poor Canadian standing around in the morning heat and finally relented under my powerful best puppy dog look.

IMG_0450.jpg

Lets start the tour with a 1954 Vincent Black Shadow. Come along now, don't lag behind!

IMG_0456.jpg

Next, we have a 850cc V8 powered, 32 valve Morbidelli

IMG_0461.jpg

Or maybe this rotary powered Hercules is more your thing.

IMG_0463.jpg

British iron you say? A 63 BSA Rocket Goldstar

IMG_0472.jpg

No collection is complete with out your bikes dad. 92 FJ1200 ABS

IMG_0478.jpg

To mundane. Kay, whip out your chequebook and tear one off for $75G's for this 98 Ducati 1098s Triplecolore

IMG_0494.jpg

Even the 'scenes' are really well done with the board track example

IMG_0507.jpg

Now THATS a XMas tree! Their are 3 of these that span 3 floors each!

IMG_0510.jpg

The secret basement area where custom parts for machines not seen in decades are made.

IMG_0512.jpg

My Matchbox collection looks NOTHING like this.

IMG_0514.jpg

Even the grounds outside are as impeccable as the displays inside.

Caution: Pure moto pr0n below!

IMG_0489.jpg

1998 Cagiva Xtra-Raptor... my god that makes my pants sticky.

Thanks to the Barbers of this world for making their collections available to the public. Don't forget,AMA Superbike races this weekend if your not going to NAFO!

Holy cow! A guy could fall in love in that place. It was great to meet you in Toe ass, keep the good reports coming!

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrived in Knoxville after pulling out of the hotel this morning around 7:30. I rode up with Mfletch and FJRBandit (great guys!). We stayed mostly off the slab all the way from Birmingham. What a great ride! Have I mentioned my car tire sucks in the twisties? Well it does. Lots.

Its kinna like riding a fat girl. It awkward and theirs a bit of fumbling around involved but you eventually get where you want to be.

I'll post the pics from today up tomorrow. Its late and I'm half hammed.

Lets just say they involve a natural bridge, womens red panties and even fried strawberry pie. Yes Niehart, you heard me. I said FRIED pie.

Oh ya, lost my Mastercard today too. Got it cancelled with no additional charges on it. Since I lost it, does that mean the entire trip is now free?

Edit: PWI

BungieBoogerBoy - absolutely great RR.

I hope to soon have time to

*correctly* read and appreciate your epic ride.

Truthfully, this thread is of AdvRider quality.

BTW, I hope BBB sticks... :rofl:

Spent the day riding the Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon today.

You guys would be proud of me. Caught up to a bunch of guys on HD's near the end who were going slow natch. So I start one handing the FJR WITH a car tire on it around the dragon and snapping pics of other FJR's behind me. Well buddy on the one HD spies me doing that and damn near runs off the road he was so shocked. BAHAHAHA!

Anyway, I need to get to bed after the NAFO festivities. Were cutting out of here in the early AM to lay the smackdown on a certain resident of Michigan. Man and 800 mile day at THIS stage of the game? Man, I just don't see it happening.

Anyway, Rob's snoring and I best do the same.

Arrived in Knoxville after pulling out of the hotel this morning around 7:30. I rode up with Mfletch and FJRBandit (great guys!). We stayed mostly off the slab all the way from Birmingham. What a great ride! Have I mentioned my car tire sucks in the twisties? Well it does. Lots.

Its kinna like riding a fat girl. It awkward and theirs a bit of fumbling around involved but you eventually get where you want to be.

I'll post the pics from today up tomorrow. Its late and I'm half hammed.

Lets just say they involve a natural bridge, womens red panties and even fried strawberry pie. Yes Niehart, you heard me. I said FRIED pie.

Oh ya, lost my Mastercard today too. Got it cancelled with no additional charges on it. Since I lost it, does that mean the entire trip is now free?

Edit: PWI
I gotta shake your hand some day, MR. Bungie..

...and I'm really interested in your car tire report too..

but I want the RDCV (Readers Digest Condensed Version) cause I got other things to do..

What a great road trip, eh bud?

Anyway, I need to get to bed after the NAFO festivities. Were cutting out of here in the early AM to lay the smackdown on a certain resident of Michigan. Man and 800 mile day at THIS stage of the game? Man, I just don't see it happening.

Anyway, Rob's snoring and I best do the same.
The Sheep have taken their defensive positions around the perimeter here... You fellas are on yer own now. :blum:

:jester:

Were cutting out of here in the early AM to lay the smackdown on a certain resident of Michigan...
The Sheep have taken their defensive positions around the perimeter here... You fellas are on yer own now. :blum:

If I were you Bust-A-Nut I would start hiding under the bed. The boys were on the road before I even got out of bed and were last seen heading north. I hiding in Canton tonight because once Bungie sees my last report from NAFO he will be at my door to punch me in the mouth. :nhl_fight:

Were cutting out of here in the early AM to lay the smackdown on a certain resident of Michigan...

If I were you Bust-A-Nut I would start hiding under the bed. The boys were on the road before I even got out of bed and were last seen heading north. I hiding in Canton tonight because once Bungie sees my last report from HAFO he will be at my door to punch me in the mouth. :nhl_fight:
The girls called around 3 and said they were heading straight home now... Rob said something about being able to get there before dark.

Now I take this as an "I'm afraid of the dark" kinda statement... But I truly believe they were having second thoughts about dealing with a flock of angry sheep. ;)

The girls called around 3 and said they were heading straight home now... Rob said something about being able to get there before dark.

Now I take this as an "I'm afraid of the dark" kinda statement... But I truly believe they were having second thoughts about dealing with a flock of angry sheep. ;)

Sooo... I had Dolly in my right saddle-bag for 2 days and gave 'er to Bungie last night to give to Rob...

What's gonna happen to 'er now?

BTW - I wasn't thinking yesterday. We were in Bungie's group riding the Dragon yesterday (I about peed myself laughing after we came up behind the group of Harleys and I saw Bungie taking pictures over his shoulder, riding a FJR that handles "like a dump truck" with one hand) and we didn't stop at the Gap to get her a sticker or anything. So, if anyone happens to swing by the Gap, check to see if maybe the have a pair of Dragon thong undies for her. Or something.

(I about peed myself laughing after we came up behind the group of Harleys and I saw Bungie taking pictures over his shoulder, riding a FJR that handles "like a dump truck" with one hand)
My only regret is that I didn't get a pic of that guys face when he realized what was happening behind him. It was kinna like somebody just told him he was adopted after his parents, a lobster and a sherpa, enjoyed each other carnally after a night of drinking rancid Saki.

Pure "WHAT THE FUCKING HELL!!!"

Anyway, I'm home! I rolled in this afternoon around 3pm after a leisure ride home. Amazing though, after banging out 500 mile days for the last 3.5 weeks. The 250 miles home felt like it took about 15 minutes!

The rest of the ride report later tonight after I cook some food with real veggies in it (really, you 'mericans can rock the hell out of a grill, but I like my veggies too!)

Latest posts