Roaring noise from front ??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beal

Reaction score
Tried a couple of searches with no luck.

Bike has developed a very noticeable roaring sound from the front when

in a curve or when weaving back and forth on a straight road.

No sound when just going straight.

2006 with a little over 20,000 miles.

Ideas?

I'm not a wrench turner.

I have since been told the same thing by my Eastern NC resident guru...... of Richlands NC fame.

Now running Diablo Strada on front. Fairly new..... only 3000 miles.

Hope that's it !!

Thanks !!

yup - I get that now also... always do when the front tire is approaching the end of its useful life - it can be quite loud, that is for sure

The asphalt aggregate used in this area, quickly grinds the center region of the tire. This produces a noticeable crest or peak to the contour that rumbles its ass off when you initially lean.

I gave Beal a two hour solution to solve the problem, but he questioned the odds of surviving the procedure.

:)

I thought it was the "whistler" syndrome.....oooh, flash back....whistling wonky.

I have since been told the same thing by my Eastern NC resident guru...... of Richlands NC fame.
Now running Diablo Strada on front. Fairly new..... only 3000 miles.

Hope that's it !!

Thanks !!

Hi Beal,

Guess what!! I have a diablo strada with around 3200 and it's been doing the same thing for about 700-800 miles. Guess that settles that. :yahoo:

My tires sing to me, too. I think that all tires I've had on my bike started singing past a certain mileage. What that mileage is, I do not know. Am I worried about singing? Nope. As long as the tread looks good, I sing along.

My tires sing to me, too. I think that all tires I've had on my bike started singing past a certain mileage. What that mileage is, I do not know. Am I worried about singing? Nope. As long as the tread looks good, I sing along.
Guess I'll just have to join the choir too !!!

Rick

Guess I'll just have to join the choir too !!!

Rick
Here's another Strada rider with a front tire that whistles dixie.

I don't believe it is specific to just the Pirellis or the FJR as I had the same thing on a BMW R1100RS w/ Bridgestones. I also don't think it's related to the center wear from excessive slabbing. I am more inclined to think the tire noise is due to the tread block wear pattern that develops on all front tires due to tread squirm during cornering.

Here's a little ditty about tread wear that I find vewy intewesting (see section on cupping/scalloping):

https://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone through the original Stones, a set of Metzler Z4's, Pilot Powers and am now near the end of a set of Diablo Stradas. They ALL whined after a few thousand miles when leaned over a hair. My FZ1, Seca II and FZR all did the same. It's just how tires generally work on a bike and happens more quickly if you do a lot of highway miles. The rear actually does it too, but you can't hear it on most bikes. Generally, it's a sign that you've either got a bit of flat streak down the center of the tread, or you've cupped the tread blocks. Neither is a huge concern unless you're really pushing the envelope on available traction.

BTW... of the four sets of tires, the Pilot Powers were the best for traction and feel (of course), but the next set will be another pair of Stradas... that's an awesome tire with excellent wear, great wet and dry traction and good feel. The Pilots only went on because it's what they had at Deals Gap when my Z4's died. They're awesome, but only lasted about 2800 miles. It was a damned fun 2800 miles though. ;)