Route from DFW to Greenville SC suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TejasFJR

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Greenville SC in about a month. My first priority is making good time but I really hate the idea of superslab the entire way. I'm thinking about 600-700 miles the first day and then a lighter 2nd day. Does anyone have any suggestions that might fit the bill?

I'm planning a trip to Greenville SC in about a month. My first priority is making good time but I really hate the idea of superslab the entire way. I'm thinking about 600-700 miles the first day and then a lighter 2nd day. Does anyone have any suggestions that might fit the bill?
You can take I-20 to Birmingham, then I-59 to Chattanooga the first day. Then go up to Tellico Plains, TN and get on TN Hwy 165, which is the Cherohala Skyway. 165 turns into NC Hwy 143 on top of the mountain. Stay on 143 through Robbinsville until it intersects Hwy 28. Turn right on 28 and ride the twisties all the way down to Walhala, SC and turn left on 183 to Pickens, then Take 8 down to 123 into Greenville.

Most excellent riding!

I've got a co-worker that lives there and we're going to do some riding in his back yard for a couple of days.

You can take I-20 to Birmingham, then I-59 to Chattanooga the first day. Then go up to Tellico Plains, TN and get on TN Hwy 165, which is the Cherohala Skyway. 165 turns into NC Hwy 143 on top of the mountain. Stay on 143 through Robbinsville until it intersects Hwy 28. Turn right on 28 and ride the twisties all the way down to Walhala, SC and turn left on 183 to Pickens, then Take 8 down to 123 into Greenville.

Most excellent riding!
Oh yeah! That's the route I take when I go to Knoxville and it's a nice ride. If you're not in a hurry and haven't done it, get on the Natchez Trace just before Jackson MS and take it to hwy 64 and take it to Chattanooga. You'll loose an hour or so but it's a really nice ride up the parkway.

Be sure to post when you're going, I'm planning on heading that way next month too, but haven't decided on a date yet.

Last edited by a moderator: