Route Suggestions from Denver to LA in Winter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinFJRguy

Reaction score
Hey all.

As of this Thursday, barring some unforeseen circumstance, I'll be the new owner of beautiful and well-outfitted 2012 Super Tenere. I'm buying it from a fellow in Colorado, and it will wait at Dad's in Denver until I can fly out to ride it home. I'm chomping at the bit, so sooner is better than later!

Question is, what's the best route to take this time of year? I expect weather can either be not-to-bad or impossible depending on the day.

I'm thinking my best bet is to jam south on I-25 and then either take boring I-40 or I-10 west. I imagine heading further south to 10 would be ideal.

I know there are some good roads in NM and AZ, just not sure what I'll run into as far as snow goes.

I'll have heated grips, warm Tourmaster winter gloves, a Firstgear onesie that kept me pretty warm in the high 30s on a 2 hour ride a few weeks ago, a handful of "hothands" hand warmer packs, and stops for hot coffee.

Anyone got any tips or route suggestions??? TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shuttled many cars to Phoenix down I-25 in the winter. You probably won't have much of a problem getting your house S10 home, Raton Pass at the NM/CO border often has some snow on it, often there is some snow between Lad Vegas NM and Santa Fe. The run across 40 is usually dry till you get to Flagstaff, I've been stuck in Flagstaff for several days in more than one occasion. I'd go South from Flagstaff on I-17 and that should be your last weather worry. I'd estimate you have a 50/50 chance of a trouble free trip from a Weather perspective. A heated best or Jacket and a good pair of Merino Wool base layer garments will do you well.

I have shuttled many cars to Phoenix down I-25 in the winter. You probably won't have much of a problem getting your house S10 home, Raton Pass at the NM/CO border often has some snow on it, often there is some snow between Lad Vegas NM and Santa Fe. The run across 40 is usually dry till you get to Flagstaff, I've been stuck in Flagstaff for several days in more than one occasion. I'd go South from Flagstaff on I-17 and that should be your last weather worry. I'd estimate you have a 50/50 chance of a trouble free trip from a Weather perspective. A heated best or Jacket and a good pair of Merino Wool base layer garments will do you well.
Most excellent. Thanks, John. I'll try to coordinate based on 10-day forecasts. That might improve my odds, somewhat.
rolleyes.gif

We are having an extremely mild winter here in Arizona. If you want to get off I-40 for a while, I can provide some routes through most of Arizona taking you down off the I-40 at about Holbrook and ending up on the I-10 at about Quartzsite, which will miss the Flagstaff area of I-40. The current 10 day forecast includes a chance of some overnight light rain/snow/wind for Saturday the 20th. Other than that is looks pretty clear through the end of this month.

Assuming you would take the I-25 to escape Colorado, then pick-up the I-40 at Albuquerque, you could split of I-40 at Holbrook, AZ. From there it is South on 77, south on 377, west on 277 to Heber, AZ. West on 260 to Payson, AZ.

At Payson you have the choice to stay on the scenic route or sprint down a dual lane to Phoenix and pick-up the I-10.

If you take the scenic route it would be North on 87, west on 260 to Camp Verde, AZ, South on I-17 a short distance and you have another choice, south on I-17 to Phoenix and the I-10 West, or continue on the scenic route picking up South on 169 then 69 to Prescott. From there South on 89 to Congress, AZ, then South on 71, West on 60 to I-10 just East of the AZ-CA border.

Depending on which day and time of day, I could tag along from Holbrook to Payson if you wanted some company.

Assuming you would take the I-25 to escape Colorado, then pick-up the I-40 at Albuquerque, you could split of I-40 at Holbrook, AZ. From there it is South on 77, south on 377, west on 277 to Heber, AZ. West on 260 to Payson, AZ.
At Payson you have the choice to stay on the scenic route or sprint down a dual lane to Phoenix and pick-up the I-10.

If you take the scenic route it would be North on 87, west on 260 to Camp Verde, AZ, South on I-17 a short distance and you have another choice, south on I-17 to Phoenix and the I-10 West, or continue on the scenic route picking up South on 169 then 69 to Prescott. From there South on 89 to Congress, AZ, then South on 71, West on 60 to I-10 just East of the AZ-CA border.

Depending on which day and time of day, I could tag along from Holbrook to Payson if you wanted some company.
Thanks, Eagle Six!

I'll scope those roads, and let you know when I'm going to be passing through!

...flight to Denver is booked for next Thursday afternoon.

The flight is refundable (for credit) up until 10 minutes prior to departure (go Southwest!).

So far the weather looks good. Low of 20s and high of 40s to 50s for every stop I checked along the journey (I checked the major cities and areas where there is significant elevation change). I'm looking at going with this route. https://goo.gl/maps/w5PJxGcmMmo (Nod to Grommet on the fz1OA)

I can switch it up as necessary.
rmwl.gif

Having tested and read reviews for the Firstgear One-piece thermal suit, I'm inclined to forego heated gear. I may buy mitts, although my winter riding gloves are awesome and the grips are heated. Who knows, though; I might spring for heated gear between now and then. Getting it shipped here if I buy used will likely be problematic. I'm not too worried.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oooh! Or, better yet, drop down 491 or 191 from the CO/UT/AZ/NM border and meet up with Eagle Six and ride from Holbrook to Payson and on to Phoenix before heading west on I-10! I do like that idea. Not such a fan of 40.

Well congratulations bruinFJRguy, on the Tenere purchase. That guy had that very well equipped Tenere aggressively priced and you got a hell of a deal! Good luck on hitting some good weather to bond with the bike while riding down to CA. I can't wait until I get my Tenere out for a little mid winter ride down in Baja next month.

Thanks, AF! I have a few contingency plans built in. Looks like the snow should be gone, so I'm hoping I get to ride some Co twisties down to NM and AZ.

I realized today I can rent a uhaul and haul part way if need be. I would rather wait than haul the whole way, but if I just need to get south of CO I'll still have a lot of riding ahead. :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Abercrombie FJR" data-cid="1388426" data-time="1516770596"><p>

Well congratulations bruinFJRguy, on the Tenere purchase. That guy had that very well equipped Tenere aggressively priced and you got a hell of a deal! Good luck on hitting some good weather to bond with the bike while riding down to CA. I can't wait until I get my Tenere out for a little mid winter ride down in Baja next month.</p></blockquote>

Patiently waiting to see how the first ride on the Tenere went. I'm also curious to know how that route across Colorado went in January. I'm sure I would have chickened out and just planned on heading way South before pointing it West.

Patiently waiting to see how the first ride on the Tenere went. I'm also curious to know how that route across Colorado went in January. I'm sure I would have chickened out and just planned on heading way South before pointing it West.
Heh. It went about as good as could be hoped for. Freezing cold at the top of Wolf Creek Pass. Only enough flurries to say there were some. Mostly my gear performed as desired. All in all, it was a good run.

Latest posts