Routing suggestions OR WA BC MT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glas1/2ful

Reaction score
Happy Rider and I are headed in your direction and are beginning to develop some generalized routing plans. Leaving CA on or about August 17 with a general goal of getting to the coast, then north, then Canada, then south, getting back to CA for HR's birthday (the kid still celebrates them, I lose track of them...) We're campling, so would appreciate any suggestions in that department as well.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

I've got lots of suggestions on camping, Dan, but a good one to start with is spend one night in the National Park at Crater Lake. It's gorgeous, for one thing, and a real nice park for camping too. Not sure if you're old enough to qualify, but I've got my lifetime senior pass for all the National Parks and pretty much everything that's "national" and charges admission. Gets a whole carload in free, even if you're not driving, and gets TWO motorcycles in free, even if only one has it. (Does not cover the camp site fee, however.)

Sounds like a great trip. There's a lot on the forum about motorcycle camping tips and equipment you'll want to look over. Myself, I like to eat breakfast at McDonald's (egg mcmuffins, good coffee, and free ice for the Camelbak), lunch at a super market deli (the best sandwiches on the road, and you can stop to eat it when you find a scenic spot), and a decent dinner as a reward for a long day on the bike. Saves a lot of packing and packing space mornings, too. Ground pad--a MUST. Have fun.

I've got lots of suggestions on camping, Dan, but a good one to start with is spend one night in the National Park at Crater Lake. It's gorgeous, for one thing, and a real nice park for camping too. Not sure if you're old enough to qualify, but I've got my lifetime senior pass for all the National Parks and pretty much everything that's "national" and charges admission. Gets a whole carload in free, even if you're not driving, and gets TWO motorcycles in free, even if only one has it. (Does not cover the camp site fee, however.)
Sounds like a great trip. There's a lot on the forum about motorcycle camping tips and equipment you'll want to look over. Myself, I like to eat breakfast at McDonald's (egg mcmuffins, good coffee, and free ice for the Camelbak), lunch at a super market deli (the best sandwiches on the road, and you can stop to eat it when you find a scenic spot), and a decent dinner as a reward for a long day on the bike. Saves a lot of packing and packing space mornings, too. Ground pad--a MUST. Have fun.
Mike - thanks, for once I do not yet get the benefit of my , um "maturity". :yahoo:

think we're both good on equipment from earlier lives spent backpacking. but the strange lands to our north are relatively new, at least in terms of moto touring - so we're shoppng for roads, sights and sites. We've agreed to not micro-plan but also don't want to find ourselves tired and hungry and out of gas somewhere silly.

HR and I tolerated each other for about 15 hours on a SS1K ride back in May where this little idea was hatched. We're both light breakfast eaters so we're currently going with the 'coffee and oatmeal and out the door' approach, but I suspect from watching that kid eat later in the day, we won't miss too many meals. :D