RPM range

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 16 fjr1300 and first street bike. I am a dirt bike atv guy. But I have had this fully stocked, other than dual Coffman shorty tips, fjr for about 5 months. I was wondering why when I'm around 4k-5k rpm's it's screaming for an up shift? Or am I just babying the bike? Please take it easy on me guy's I'm new to the street bike game, and didn't want to ride it too hard. Should I be more aggressive or what? And yes it's in Sport mode....lol. Thanks for any respectful responses

You're just babying it. Depends on what you want to do - performance band is really coming into play by 5000 or so and it can be a lot of fun on the right roads, if not practical for a highway run. Fuel economy goes downhill pretty rapidly, but that doesn't sound like it is your primary consideration. You certainly won't hurt it running in the higher rpm range.

See that 9K tach mark? It's fine to that point for extended periods. Use it all and suddenly 4-5K doesn't seem like a big deal. The FJR is a high-revving sport-touring bike for a reason and was even more RPM until they dropped it with a different final drive ratio in 2006.

That said, don't know the exactly how your tips work, but I could never stand non-stock exhausts for extended rides. I *guess* that might make a bit of a difference. Try going back to stock or ride a stock one to compare I guess. Otherwise, get used to it.

You don't 'need' much more than 4-5k rpm to get around, but you're most definitely not hurting the engine. In 'ole dirt bike terms, you're just getting it on the pipe! Run it up there and see what she does...for a fat sport tourer the FJR does pretty well.

Enjoy!

~G

You're just babying it. Depends on what you want to do - performance band is really coming into play by 5000 or so and it can be a lot of fun on the right roads, if not practical for a highway run. Fuel economy goes downhill pretty rapidly, but that doesn't sound like it is your primary consideration. You certainly won't hurt it running in the higher rpm range.
Thank you kind sir, I was thinking that I was, but wasn't sure. But now I know that I was, but not anymore, I am going to the limit.....lol

See that 9K tach mark? It's fine to that point for extended periods. Use it all and suddenly 4-5K doesn't seem like a big deal. The FJR is a high-revving sport-touring bike for a reason and was even more RPM until they dropped it with a different final drive ratio in 2006.

That said, don't know the exactly how your tips work, but I could never stand non-stock exhausts for extended rides. I *guess* that might make a bit of a difference. Try going back to stock or ride a stock one to compare I guess. Otherwise, get used to it.
Thank you

You may find it a bit obnoxious at higher RPM with those pipes...
Wear earplugs and don't piss off the neighbors.