running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so let's get this thang going!
punk.gif

Either Mike is going to need some help to buy the eBay engine or to pay his hired wrench to get Howie's engine fixed. Either way we can give him some help to get outta these dark woods. The Paypal account has already started to collect funds.

See post # 285 for directions on how to help out.
Paypal sent!

let's get patriot back on the road doing what he does best!

Fred can you give us a running total periodically. I assume he will need about $2000-2500 - $1000 for the engine, the rest for shipping and the mechanic and have a little left to help him with the gas to get Isabell.

Big thank you for getting this going!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dibbs on the floorboards. Mike, let's get Isabella back on the road.

Dibs on the big Foot.
Karl get the "Bigfoot"

Dibs on the PAIR covers!
Denver gets the PAIR covers

Dibbs on the floorboards. Mike, let's get Isabella back on the road.

Chief gets the floorboards.

All WynPro swag is now spoken for. Dave, I'll send you the addresses later today. Thank-you all for your generosity, especially Dave! This must be what is known as a Wyn-Wyn-Win!

Fred can you give us a running total periodically. I assume he will need about $2000-2500 - $1000 for the engine, the rest for shipping and the mechanic and have a little left to help him with the gas to get Isabell.

I certainly can. As of this morning the Isabella Re-power Fund is at $663.

C'mon everyone. We can make this happen!

side bar: When this is over I intend to publish a list if the donations and forum names (as a means of public accounting). If you would prefer to remain anonymous, please PM or email me (at same address as Paypal was sent) so that I can accommodate your wishes. I will still denote your contribution, but without your name.

My friends, do not worry about the fuel for the return trip to get Isabella home. Unless Patriot is really really tired of me, my truck, my time, and yes my diesel money is sitting on go. Patriot even gets a free lunch out of the deal. I still have the address input into my GPS (Gotta love that the Zumo came with an automotive mount!) and I am ready.

As long as my wife does not smell out where I hid the diesel money...
uhoh.gif

Just kidding about that. My wife is well aware of the situation and like you is ready to get this man back to his Patriot Guard mission.

Paypal donation sent & PM to Fred.

I have been the recipient of some very thoughtful and unselfish individuals in the past, and it feels good to pay it forward. It's not the amount or the actions, but the fact you do what you can do. A dollar, $5, or a day and tank of fuel - it's the fact that as a community, we can lend a hand and do.

We're now up to $835 in the Isabella Re-Powering Fund, (plus a few paper checks incoming).

I have received a (particularly touching) donation made today that I want to share with you all.

But I will not name names (for obvious personal reasons.) This forum member sent in his donation with the following note:

I would like to send more money, but I am out of a job now... I wish all the best for the Patriot!

Oh man! I think I got something in my eye...
cry.gif

There is no way I'm gonna let the first forum member I met in person (and it was an accidental meeting at that) go through this without some assistance. Half a week's pay sent.

(Well, it would have been half a week a hundred years ago.....)

As for that meeting, I rode over to Pensacola one day to visit the Naval Aviation Museum, and found an FJR and a Hondapotamus in the parking lot. Parked by them and left a note of "Are you on the forum? I'm wfooshee" Here's Isabella over 4 years ago (December '08,) no horn, fewer stickers, original engine.......

001PatriotDSC_2419.jpg

The only sure is that the Mike will ride like the wind in the highways again very soon
smile.png

Only 164$ missing for the engine in e-bay...
smile.png

Damn, that bike looked pretty normal back then.
rolleyes.gif

eBay engine purchase is "in the works". We're doing this as if it were a federal government project and spending money we haven't received yet.
wink.png
Shipping the new engine to Isabella at Patriot's mechanic.

But we still have to get the labor and incidentals covered. Keep 'em coming!

If the total gets too big I'll be sure to put the word out to stop.

PayPal sent, Fred. Thanks so much for pulling this together. I've not had the honor of meeting Patriot (yet), but there's no way I'd pass up a chance to help out. This is a shining example of Good Karma!!

Besides, how could I not help a fellow Mike.
smile.png

Mike

Correction, we are over the $1000 mark so the eBay engine is now covered.

Now let's work on getting that thing installed! I've asked Mike to get an estimate from Aaron, his mechanic. Shouldn't cost more than about $1000 in labor for an engine swap, right?

Correction, we are over the $1000 mark so the eBay engine is now covered.
Now let's work on getting that thing installed! I've asked Mike to get an estimate from Aaron, his mechanic. Shouldn't cost more than about $1000 in labor for an engine swap, right?
we should make sure it has a new cam chain tensioner on it before it goes it for sure.

OK, I'm grabbing the bull by the horns here. Mike is tied up with family matters today (daughter's graduation), the eBay engine had a couple of "watchers" on it and I didn't want to see it slip away. It really does look extra clean and has such low mileage.

So I just bought that engine for the (quite reasonable) Buy-It-Now price of $1k and all of your generous donations made that happen.

We'll have to get the correct ship-to address to the seller and then the new engine should be on its way.

Phew!! First hurdle overcome.
smile.png