running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has a practically new "blue dot" cct in Isabella now. It's not damaged, and has minimal miles on it. I agree the new version CCT is a good thing to do, but he already has the part.

It might be helpful if Fred (re)posts the direct Paypal link. I can't seem to find it (and I'm sober). In addition, a mailing address where to send checks for those who prefer paper to electrons. Fred might even start a new post somewhere for those who haven't followed this one, or have decided against wading through 21 pages to see where it all leads. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to take the FJR out for a little 200-mile spin today. It's supposed to get to 50!

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like a very good idea, fixing Howie's scrapped engine using Mike's heads.
I'm assuming that Mike would still have his favorite mechanic doing the engine and parts swap for him, so there's still likely to be a good sized labor bill involved in the project. Knowing how tight things are for our Patriotic friend and his family, I'd suggest that we still take up a collection to help him defray those costs. Not because we have to, because we can and we want to. My $50 pledge still stands.

I have the [email protected] Paypal account, which is currently empty, and I can collect up the donation funds from anyone that would like to contribute and send them on to Mike. I would just ask that you make your Paypal payment using the "Personal" and "Gift" selections (see screen capture below) so no Paypal fees will be due and Mike will get all of your donation. And don't forget to put some comments in with your forum name so that I'll know who it came from and give you all an accounting.

PatriotCollection-1.jpg
here is the link

That felt good!

Best wishes Mike, helluva fine community, aint' it?

$$ sent in memory of my friend, Twowheelnut, who would have helped and also said

Hugs n' Kisses

fuck.gif

bleh.gif
hypocritesmiley.png
haha.gif

He has a practically new "blue dot" cct in Isabella now. It's not damaged, and has minimal miles on it. I agree the new version CCT is a good thing to do, but he already has the part.
Are you sure about that? I seem to recall Mike stressing over the fact that he didn't have the new CCT. In any case, it's too late. I just placed the parts order at Ron Ayers.

5JW-12210-10-00

TENSIONER ASSY, CAM

$77.40

5JW-12213-00-00

GASKET, TENSIONER CA

$1.19

5JW-14451-00-00

ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER

$27.67

5JW-13440-00-00

ELEMENT ASSY, OIL CL

$8.09

CR8E

SPARK PLUG NGK

$4.11

$16.45

93210-18417-00

O-RING

$1.46

$2.93

93210-23787-00

O'RING

$1.81

Sub Total

$135.52

Shipping

$15.00

Grand Total

$150.52

It might be helpful if Fred (re)posts the direct Paypal link. I can't seem to find it (and I'm sober). In addition, a mailing address where to send checks for those who prefer paper to electrons.

Paypal address is [email protected].

Drop me a PM for the snail mail address.

This reminds me of what riders used to do. Stopping to help another rider stopped on the side of the road! Paypal sent!

John

For openers it may be worth doing a leak-down test before putting the engine in the frame. A cold engine will leak a lot more than a warm one. I'm sure the engine ok, but damn, if it isn't and you don't find out until it's installed... DAMHIK.

Good idea. Added to that the list.

Going out now for a while to relieve some PMS.
wink.png

(sorry, Mike. Soon, buddy. Soon.)

Wow these updates are as much fun to read as Mike'll have riding again!

How about a note on Facebook on what's going on here?

Timing cover gasket?? Probably reuseable but would hate to have to wait for a replacement if it tears upon removal.

I can't think of a better (easier) time to service the rear linkages than when the engine is out of the frame. Probably won't even need skyhooks. Driveshaft splines and U-joint too. Obviously clean up throttle bodies and butterflies.

I believe his starter is OK (no reported problems) but it might be worth considering having a look to see whether to use the original or the extra.

Just for the sake of completeness, check that the air filter is OK. Not a big deal to do anytime but might as well have it right when it rolls out the door. I think someone else mentioned plugs, coil check, and hydraulic fluid.

Timing cover gasket?? Probably reuseable but would hate to have to wait for a replacement if it tears upon removal.
I can't think of a better (easier) time to service the rear linkages than when the engine is out of the frame. Probably won't even need skyhooks. Driveshaft splines and U-joint too. Obviously clean up throttle bodies and butterflies.

I believe his starter is OK (no reported problems) but it might be worth considering having a look to see whether to use the original or the extra.

Just for the sake of completeness, check that the air filter is OK. Not a big deal to do anytime but might as well have it right when it rolls out the door. I think someone else mentioned plugs, coil check, and hydraulic fluid.
Ross, try to keep up.
smile.png

Fred has a gasket and filter on the shopping list.

Have you finished digging out yet?

Al.

Update:

Floor boards and Big foot shipped out today. Covers will go out on Monday USPS priority mail.

RAM-Bone GPS mount still pending sale. Come on folks don't pass up the chance on a good deal and help a fellow forum member.

Dave

Hi guys I'm back. And I feel much better! Rode through a few snow flakes but it never amounted to anything, and scored the NA Wild Card Moto-Photo Tag! Only thing cold was my toes.

My experience with the timing cover gasket is that it doesn't tear when the cover is removed, and even if it did, a little gasket sealant on reassembly is all you need. This is a very low pressure area. I happen to have one here on the shelf that I could FedEX to Miss if we get in a jam, but I'm sure that will be OK.

I want you all to know that you have all been extremely generous. Even after paying a grand for the new motor, we now have almost $1500 in the Paypal kitty. As said before, I will talk with Aaron and Mike on Monday and try to make an estimate on what really needs to be done and all of this work is going to cost.

Depending on that outcome, even if we ask Aaron to do every bit of maintenance service in the book, we may have an overage of funds. At that point I will get back to you all to discuss what to do with that.

Fred,

It has already been said, but I am going to say it again. The generosity of the forum is a wonderful thing but your generosity is no less wonderful. I cannot say a sincere enough "Thank You" here. You have been the perfect blend of expertise, generosity and organization to achieve a happy outcome for this situation. I was willing to make the attempt and made an effort to lay some groundwork but I could not have done anywhere near as well as you have.

I think that the amount of money that was sent to you in such a brief span of time speaks wonders to the trust and faith this forum has in you. I know I have a hard time sending funds to someone I have never met in the blind faith that the money will go where it is supposed to. I am sure others feel the same.

I am a couple hours away from the mechanic at best and my life schedule is always full, but if you need someone to appear in person for a specific purpose let me know. I am sure I can convince Dad of the necessity of a bike ride to that area. BTW, that is not a big sacrifice! While my area is flat and straight, where the mechanic is located is a beautiful area with plenty of wonderful motorcycle roads.

Fred,

If all this job will finish,and about an overage of funds if this will happen,one opinion if all the others they agree,could stay for the forum if someone once will need a really help if something will go too bad..

About the Isabella,something caused this damage,If the oil was in properly amount,if the oil filter was not too bad clogged and i believe all these are ok!The engine itself couldn't cause this damage!I have never,we have never heard believe a like this damage especially in a fjr engine..An other thought is only if something goes wrong with this engine and a fault from his previously owner.If all these are ok!I believe the Mechanic must check very carefully the injection if these works well also and the coils..I think something going wrong there..the two spark plugs they looks like brand new!The ECU if receive a faulty or a not correct signal from some sensors she can cut the fuel or and the voltage in some cylinders..I am pretty sure these two spark plugs in those cylinders are not normal!If the problem remains and this damage in engine came from this, It can cause the same damage in the new engine!I believe nobody wants to happen this again..!!!Have you a thought about this....

AND A BIG THANK YOU AND FROM ME FOR ALL YOUR GREAT WORK THERE ABOUT ALL THIS ISSUE!!!