Russell seat pics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nusman68

Reaction score
Finally got around to uploading these; got the seat this June. Overall view:

DSC01013.jpg

Closeup of the seat..the stitching is what Russell calls 'half-moon'. I think it looks sharp; I'm sure others might prefer a different pattern.

DSC01017.jpg

Finally got around to uploading these; got the seat this June. Overall view:
DSC01013.jpg

Closeup of the seat..the stitching is what Russell calls 'half-moon'. I think it looks sharp; I'm sure others might prefer a different pattern.

DSC01017.jpg

That is a pretty nice looking seat for a Russell. Don't get me wrong, I think they are the best seats on the market for comfort, but usually not look that good on the FJR. I have to say that your looks pretty nice. My questions are, does the seat sit you higher than the stock and if so how much? Is it everything you excepted in regards to comfort?

Yes, it is higher than stock; I have not measured it, but I would estimate it to be about 1/2 - 3/4 inch higher. Its many times more comfortable than stock, everything I expected; but since it is higher, I'm now 'up' on the balls of my feet at stops- (FWIW....I sit forward on the bike, hugging the tank; thus the seat is set up like that...I'm only 5'9", probably 30 - 31 inseam).

It looks quite uncomfortable. Can I have it? I'd be quite happy to save you the misery of riding on that seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to lock you into one seating position like a cruiser seat. Is that so? If that is true, then I think I would go for the old style pattern even though I think this new pattern looks better.

The luggage rack looks interesting. Who makes it?

Last edited by a moderator:
That bike is too clean. Are you gay? :eek:
Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I'm not gay...ask my wife! I'm an RBAM (Red-blooded American Male). Although I had just washed & waxed the bike....uh oh.. :dribble:

It appears to lock you into one seating position like a cruiser seat. Is that so? If that is true, then I think I would go for the old style pattern even though I think this new pattern looks better.The luggage rack looks interesting. Who makes it?
You can actually 'move around' on the seat since it is leather; (i.e. the leather doesn't provide 'too much' grip, in my opinion, which works for me) The rack is a GIVI factory rack for mounting their topcases; it's a V46, probably the most common among the FJR crowd. It had the standard paint from the factory; I did have it stripped & powdercoated (nearly the same color) when I first got it.

That looks comfortable, got to put a Russell on the farkle list. 4000 miles breakin and I'm still getting the numbutt after a couple hours.

Did you ride in or mail order? experience?

That looks comfortable, got to put a Russell on the farkle list. 4000 miles breakin and I'm still getting the numbutt after a couple hours.Did you ride in or mail order? experience?
I did a ride-in, had it reserved about 2 months in advance; great experience, had my personal info (that I had sent in previously) on their counter, ready to go. Was raining that day, they cleared a sheltered area for me. Job was finished same day, ahead of schedule. All the employees I came in contact had a great attitude, like they really enjoyed working there; something you don't see often enough these days. It was obvious why they are successful.