S3X or FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quietguy

Reaction score
So, I awoke around 5:30am this morning... HOPING the weather would remain dry: it did.

Off to the dealer first thing, and my FJR was Ready!

They gassed it up and off I went for an.. all day ride - got 150 miles on her.

What a fun day and a nice ride. Friend rode his 04 and the weather was super.

Never having ridden a bike of this style I'm pleasantly surprised to find I really like it.

Power, smoothness, nice ride, super handling and great looks.

Only negative; bugs enjoyed the day too, and many of them joined me on the ride, UGH!

Came home and spent two hours cleaning and doing a quick wax job.

Area below the radiator (scoop?) was a sonofagun to reach, get too and clean.

I'll worry about a more thorough detailing another time, for now I WANNA JUST RIDE!

No pics... everyone knows what they look like :rolleyes:

Lennie

strange idea you might want to try on your "scoop" area, leave wax on (dont polish it). This will make cleaning road tar / bugs etc. alot easier. Try a little spot first,,,, see what it's like, or if you like it. Dont do this where sun shines or can bake it (like the outer lip area).

If it gets to chalky/ milky, suppose you could use alcahol to remove

Last edited by a moderator:
A good solid coat of wax helps keep the bug debris from bothering the paint. I wax baby once a year whether she need it or not. I'd rather ride...

A good solid coat of wax helps keep the bug debris from bothering the paint. I wax baby once a year whether she need it or not. I'd rather ride...
ONCE a year?! Holy moley.

I clean after every ride, and try to wax weekly. Once I get the hang (and have confidence I won't drop her) of using the center stand, should be a little easier to clean the low down.

Anyone use a bike lift?

What a super riding bike.

Lennie

:blink: ONCE A YEAR?YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING <_< I spend over an hour after every ride cleaning my 04 wiping,polishing and q-tipping every crack and crevice!I wanna keep that pimp ride appearance going like the day it was new! :clapping:

All the maintenance gets done plus a bit more. I don't suppose you would be too interested in my wash/wax schedule

pigpen.gif

It gets washed/waxed enough to keep things protected but I ride nearly every day and this has included rain nearly every day last week. Every time the weather gets nice enough to wash my bike we go for a ride instead :)

Laffing.. :yahoo:

But.. I understand - I too would rather ride than polish. But old habits die hard.

Tons of crevices, cracks and angles to polish on this thing - didn't realize how many til I began working on it last night. 'Bout wore me out.

More fun to ride than wax anyway...

Congrats on your new ride but how is the topic of this thread, "S3X or FJR, Which would you choose?" pertinent to it's content?

We're supposed to wash&wax these things???????????? :blink:
That's why I loved the Honda Spray Cleaner Polish (now made by someone else). Fast and EASY! I wash and wax mine about twice a year. Enjoy your FJR quietguy and welcome to the Forum madness.

Tom

In five years of being the original owner of an 03 picked up July 21 02, the only water the FJR has seen is rain. Honda spray polish all the way. And I will bet you that it looks as clean as those who wash and wax on a ride basis. Time spent doing unnecessary cleaning is wasted ride time.

Congrats on your new ride but how is the topic of this thread, "S3X or FJR, Which would you choose?" pertinent to it's content?
Uhmmmmm, it could be a typo (intentional or accidental??? :unknw: ). Have you looked at a keyboard lately to see what letter is below and to the right of the "3" key? :uhoh:

That's why I loved the Honda Spray Cleaner Polish (now made by someone else)
Ahh-yup! There are also some automotive spray polishes available. I do use a regular car wax just before Winter sets in, but normally use the Honda stuff.

My first pick (title wise) is the first, with the latter a very close second :p

Thanks y'all.

I plan another all day ride tomorrow - weather is looking up here in Texas with no rain forecasted for a few days.

Lennie

Uhmmmmm, it could be a typo (intentional or accidental??? :unknw: ). Have you looked at a keyboard lately to see what letter is below and to the right of the "3" key? :uhoh:
:rolleyes: And here I thought he was trying to decide between a yet to be released GM S3X and the FJR.

I'll choose the first option too. :) But there's really no reason you can't have both...just not at the same time. :lol:

Oh, and did you people know that a layer of dirt protects the paint almost as well as a layer of wax? :D