Saddleman Gel Channel seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried it but I hear generally negative things about gel seats. Apparently they are really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer.

I haven't tried it but I hear generally negative things about gel seats. Apparently they are really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer.
Also, I've heard people use those channels to relieve themselves without having to stop!! Ask all of the IBA Boys. They'll tell you all about it! :unsure: :fie: :not_i: :shok: :stinker: :this: :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my Alaskan Sheepskin seat cover, which is about an inch thick, and used my electric barber shears to cut about an inch wide swath down the center of the seat( I stopped about 3" from either end and all the way down to the skin). It did relieve the nerve pressure down there, if that is what you are trying to accomplish. It also allowed a stream of cool air in.

Also, I've heard people use those channels to relieve themselves without having to stop!! Ask all of the IBA Boys. They'll tell you all about it! :unsure: :fie: :not_i: :shok: :stinker: :this: :whistle:
Not here. I haven't found a rally yet that I can't stop for a minute and pee behind a tree somewhere or coordinate with a fuel stop. In fact, I've known only one IBA rider that has actually peed on the go with a catheter. Mostly a myth I'm afraid.

I tell myself to change the stock seat and looking around for options. Came across this at ebay and would like to know has anyone try one of these before.
I've found pads and inserts a generally mediocre substitute for a truly custom saddle. The only cheap thing I've found that would decently extend the stock seat is the Vetter Magical Ass Board.

While I haven't tried a Saddleman seat on my FJR, I did purchase a dealer demo on eBay for my GL1800. It was about as comfortable as a Corbin (not very) and the gel insert was miserable. Just like Lagerhead mentioned, unbearably hot to sit on if left in the sun for any length of time and very cold in the winter. I promptly sold it.

Hi all, after riding a round trip of about 5000km. I tell myself to change the stock seat and looking around for options. Came across this at ebay and would like to know has anyone try one of these before.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SADDLEMEN-SEAT-GC-SEAT-TRACK-YAMAHA-FJR1300-06-09-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35ae4f5191QQitemZ230557700497QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Have you checked into the Spencer Seat Mod...I'm probably gonna have it done after the holiday

Not if you get one with the optional gel polarity inverter switch. Flip it to the minus setting and it will keep you warm in the cold and cool in the heat :lol:

I got one for my R6 it is better than stock, I have not tried one on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the above reply. Maybe will get the seat done locally with new insert and wraps.

cheers,

I'd say unless you specifically know you need a seat with some room under the tailbone or perineum, go with one of the established aftermarket seats that has a lot of experience on this board, i.e. Russell, Sargent, Corbin, Rich's.

Now if you know you need the channel for extra room in the down under area - then this seat MAY do the trick.

I have tailbone issues and built my own modded seat (go here) and these type of seats can really help. My next step is to take my stock seat to Rich's here in Seattle and have them do a new seat that does not look like a DIY seat such as my current one.

Good Luck.