Sales in Sport Touring Motorcycles Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are the bags JamesK made for his FJR. Veeeerry original there boys. They should have just saved the money and put a wider seat on the FZ1.

For me the Sport Touring segment is the perfect compromise bike. One bike is able to fill every need. No other type of bike is as practical or useful to me. There has been a great deal of media exposure in the last couple years for the Gen 3 FJR and the K1600GT and that has pushed this wonderful segment into the spotlight for a lot of riders.

I would speculate that there is a huge overlap of Sport Touring/Adventure Touring so classifying them together makes sense. I have often pondered the Super Tenere instead of the FJR. It would do the same job.

Wow, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to this eye, that thing is almost ugly enough to be a BMW. OTOH, BMW GS's sell like hotcakes so I guess emulating them isn't a bad idea. That said, there are too many good looking motorcycles in the world for me to want to walk across the parking lot towards an ugly every sunny day.
It looks much better in person than the photos......IT HAS TO......or riders might confuse it with the early V-Strom which was really ugly except when you were riding it.

I wonder if the increase is from new riders, or taking away from another category such as sport, cruiser, etc.?

Thanks for the new FJ-09 pics skoot!

Sales numbers...hope they bode well for future investment in the ST category. A sure win for us old pharts!

--G

I'm with Redfish.

Hard to get excited about this bike, but recognize how it will be interesting to the segment that doesn't want a 200lb heavier touring bike.

I did get excited about the new-to-him 2014 Tuono that my friend rode over, which he picked up for under $11k, and which puts 175hp out, has Ohlins suspenders all around, and enough e-gadgets to keep you out of trouble.

Almost enough to head over to the dealer where he bought it from...

Thanks for the photos, SkooterG. Looks like the "stock" version is also painted with the sexy Liquid Graphite color.

Yay, mor riding 'n less posing!
punk.gif

Big bags for a smaller sized ST bike (that could be nice for some peeps). BUT... those tear drop turns gotta go! Man, I don't know what they were smoking when they "tacked" on those fuggly retro non fitting lights. Bad, any way you look at 'em.

20141106_165804_resized1_zps724cfef3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya KJ. I'd be tempted to come up with a more stylish solution involving directionals on the bags and maybe tidy up the rear plate bracket while I was there.

Listen to you guys talking about aesthetics over functionality, I thought I accidently got on the Harley forum. LOL
Beary
Its accidentally and OK,

you go ahead with your functionality over aesthetics............

"

"

"

"

"

"

And here's a very functional date fer ya, I hear he she takes out the garbage too!
wink.png

ugly-woman.png

Friday can't come soon enough, and I know, 'nuff said :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the slides I found interesting had to deal with the sales trend of sport touring type motorcycles.
Overall, sales were up 34%.
This is really interesting info, and really shows the cyclical nature of things. I remember all the MC rags (and most discussion boards) were declaring the end of the sport-touring segment was near just a few years ago. But what the tall-rounders add in comfort and agility, they often compromise in weather protection, crosswind stability, and, for some, seat height. I had a BMW GSA for a couple of years. FANTASTIC all-around bike. Did everything OK. Rode like a magic carpet. But I missed the I-4 power and the weather protection a lot. Everyone says the Japanese manufacturer appliances, but I find the FJR to be far more inspiring to ride than the big GS on it's best day....