Sargent rear seat comfort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herkypilot

Reaction score
I recently purchased the front sargent seat for my Gen II and I'm pretty happy with it. My wife went on a ride with me last week for about 350 miles and she only likes to ride with the top box on to provide a back rest. The stock rear seat causes her to continually slide forward. My question for those who ride two up with both the front and rear Sargent seats - does the Sargent rear seat have a little less downward slope / better support then the stock rear seat?

I recently purchased the front sargent seat for my Gen II and I'm pretty happy with it. My wife went on a ride with me last week for about 350 miles and she only likes to ride with the top box on to provide a back rest. The stock rear seat causes her to continually slide forward. My question for those who ride two up with both the front and rear Sargent seats - does the Sargent rear seat have a little less downward slope / better support then the stock rear seat?
I have the Sargent front & rear. I just sat on the back to give you a better answer (never sat back there before). It feels pretty much the same as the front, just smaller.

Mine is an 05 but I think the experience would be the same. My wife and I covered Canada and the U.S. coast to coast last year and she was very happy with the Sargent with the backrest. We do not use a topbox.

Here's a picture of how it looks.

Sargent Sear with Backrest

John

Thanks for the replies. John, the Gen II's seem to be designed a bit different. I wanted to get an idea as to whether the shape of the seat provided more support to prevent sliding forward. Of course, it really could be because we ride with sheepskin covers on...I may try removing hers and see if that helps.

Hey Herkypilot,

Is your new seat firmer or softer than the stock seat?

I have Sargeant front and rear with their backrest. It scratches the painted grab handle. The rubber thing they send is not very well designed and I lost it the second time I used it. It scratched it with the rubber thing on it also. Not the best IMO. For that much change it should not scratch the bike, although it does seem to fit the passenger well and do its job.

Check out the Garauld rack and backrest mount.

I have Sargeant front and rear with their backrest. It scratches the painted grab handle. The rubber thing they send is not very well designed and I lost it the second time I used it. It scratched it with the rubber thing on it also. Not the best IMO. For that much change it should not scratch the bike, although it does seem to fit the passenger well and do its job.Check out the Garauld rack and backrest mount.
Is this a gen II problem? I've had none of these issues with mine.

Your profile says "other" for bike, are these issues you're having on a different bike?

I too have the Sargent rear seat but not the back rest.

It is slightly larger than the stock but feels about the same to my ass. It doesn't contact the grab handles. Are you referring to the backrest portion? :unsure:

It does however "squeak" a lot more than the stock seat. :angry:

I have Sargeant front and rear with their backrest. It scratches the painted grab handle. The rubber thing they send is not very well designed and I lost it the second time I used it. It scratched it with the rubber thing on it also. Not the best IMO. For that much change it should not scratch the bike, although it does seem to fit the passenger well and do its job.Check out the Garauld rack and backrest mount.

Your profile says "other" for bike, are these issues you're having on a different bike?

Gen II. The backrest has a rubber grommet that fits into metal holder to rest against the grab handle/luggage rack. Grab handle was probably not the correct identifier. Anyway, the rubber grommet does not want to stay fixed in the holder and my grommet actually came out the second time I used it leaving a bare metal to painted surface scenario. Will have to come up with a better way to keep the metal off the painted surface. The backrest is comfortable though.

Gen II. The backrest has a rubber grommet that fits into metal holder to rest against the grab handle/luggage rack. Grab handle was probably not the correct identifier. Anyway, the rubber grommet does not want to stay fixed in the holder and my grommet actually came out the second time I used it leaving a bare metal to painted surface scenario. Will have to come up with a better way to keep the metal off the painted surface. The backrest is comfortable though.
I also have the Sargent rear seat on my 07 and the metal on the backrest doesn't come anywhere near the "grab handle". But then I don't have a rubber grommet on mine either. Exerting as much force as I can on the backrest, there is still a good 1/2 inch gap between the metal supporting the backrest and any part of the bike. Maybe they changed designs?

My wife loves the backrest and the rear seat. We never had a problem with the stock seat (other than the absence of a backrest) so I don't know how it compares for preventing passenger sliding. My wife did ride on her fathers Russel seat on his RT and after 30 minutes wanted back on the Sargent. That's gotta say something for the seat.

Latest posts