Sargent Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one on my 05 and I'm fairly happy with it but my wife is not crazy about the back half although she does like the back rest. We are thinking about having Rich build her a seat and leave mine as is. I have done as much as 700 mi a day with minor discomfort. If I were to do it again, I would probably get a Russel or Rich's seat.

Does anybody have any feedback on the Sargent Seats what do you think of it?
I have one and I think it's great. I got mine From Jeff. My wife loves it. I don't have the back rest for either. She says that it's a vast improvement over stock, and I agree. I would recommend them.

Rick

I installed a Sargent seat (front only) about 5 days ago. I purchased the seat directly from Sargent as their price is as competitive as any retailer and when purchased directly from the factory, the warranty period is doubled. Since then I have ridden several hundred miles with the following observations:

1. I only purchased the front section as I seldom have a passenger and the Sargent CFX seat cloth with the black welt is a very close match to factory. The front seat installed as easily as stock and based on my observation, the Sargent seat pan is superior in overall construction and structural strength. The underseat storage compartment in the seat is a perfect fit for bike registration, insurance documents, etc.

2. I ride with the seat in the raised position (6' 1", 34" inseam). The Sargent seat's rear area is slightly wider and more dished out than stock. This keeps me slighly further away from the gas tank compared to the stock seat and allows me to keep more weight centered over my legs. I did notice that the additional width did not allow me to be as flat footed on the ground when standing in place at a stop.

3. The seat cushion is firmer than stock and with the more dished out seating position, I feel I sit more into the bike rather than on top.

4. The most noticeable improvement was something not expected. With the stock seat, I would start getting leg cramps or knee pain after several hours of riding. With the Sargent seat this is absent. This may be a factor of a combination of the slightly wider seat, more extended legs due to the width, and a more rear seating position due to the dished out construction.

Overall, this has been a significant improvement over stock based on my experience. Also this gave me a good bang for the buck by only purchasing the front seat section.

I have the stock 2004 seat, a Bill Mayer Custom, and the Sargent...I have stopped using the OEM and Mayer, only ride the Sargent now..great seat!

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

i picked my two piece Sargent up from a fellow forum member for my '05.

I really like this seat! :yahoo:

I tried the corbin for about 4,000 miles, i found out it was just a vinyl covered brick! :angry:

The two piece Sergent has built in storage under both seats as a bonus. very clever use of space.

I am sure the BMS, the Russels and others are nice, but for my price point, the Sergent is again, really nice!

Good luck with your decision!

cadman

I'm in the same boat as Bikerskier, I like the seat but my special gal doesn't like it at all. She liked the stock back seat better.

JW

I just replaced a Russell not made for me (used) with a Sargent and so far so good. Initial 250-500 miles were kinda rough, (made me sore in other places) but over all my ass and boys are much happier.

It's only about 2,000 times better than stock. Is it the holy grail? I suspect a properly built for me Russel would be better, but this is pretty good and it's not ugly like a Russell so that counts for something.

-MD

I have Sargent seats on my '05. I've never ridden a Russell or Mayer but either of those seems to be the preferred seat for LD riders. Having said that, I must also say I really like my Sargent seat.

The OEM seat was intolerable after abt 1 hr riding time. I've done an 865 mile day on the Sargent w/ some fidgeting, standing on the pegs, etc toward the end of that day. Consequently, I'd say, for my tushie, the Sargent is comfortable for abt 600 miles.

As always w/ items like seats, YMMV.

I have had a Sargent for over a yr and 15,000 miles. I hated the stock seat(5'9"-200) The order direct to Sargent was filled quickly. The Sargent is a big improvement for me, but a little hard. My wife doesn't ride much, so I just installed the $39 cover on the rear.

I'e got over 26,000 miles on my '05 Sargent seat. I've never had an uncomfortable moment on it. I seldom ride over 500 miles in one day. It looks as good as the day I got it. Terrific product.

IMHO: Major improvement over stock. Well worth the $.

It is lower than stock, so taller riders may not dig it.

V

I have one. I like it much better than stock, and I think it's probably more comfortable than a Corbin would have been. I can say that only because I had Corbins on my previous two bikes. From the pictures on the website, I didn't think I would like the piping but when I put it on the bike, I think it looks nice. Distinctive but not garish.

The only problem I've had is that it doesn't latch like it should; no big issue since the rear seat locks it into place anyways.

Latest posts